“A lovely refreshing and relaxing visit”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Stafford
“A lovely refreshing and relaxing visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night with my two daughters. We were in a super king room, which was very spacious even though occupied by three adults. The room was stylish and clean and the shower in the wet room was powerful. We all enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep. From the moment we walked into the reception the staff were very pleasant and eager to please, including the staff in the spa, and the service provided exceeded that of larger chain hotels I have visited. We did have to go outside for approximately three or four metres to access the restaurant, however, we did not see this as a problem and we were escorted all the way to the door of the restaurant, which was a lovely room overlooking the river.
The location was good, as close to the hustle and bustle but down a quiet small lane.
I liked the friendly service best and the thing I liked least were the feather pillows, however I must stress even they were fluffier than most. I love hollow fibre pillows, but have yet to stay in a hotel that supplies them.
Our stay was thoroughly enjoyable and I have already booked a return visit.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

Went to stay at this hotel as a last minute treat for me and my wife , I have to say I was so impressed with the standard of the hotel. The rooms were modern spacious and very well equipped …..Everything was very clean and tidy and the service from the staff members was very polite.

I also went to the restaurant , we had a lovely mean and overall very impressed ! We will def be going back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

Hi, we went for my fiance's 30th birthday treat and we loved it. The hotel is a quaint little offering and although you have to walk 10 mins from the car park its worth it. The room was very modern with a bathroom that had a free standing bath ( extra brownie pioints from the Mrs for that one) The little extras including free milk and cookies if you feel peckish, a free Cambridge tour and staff that can't do enough to help. All in a lovely weekend. The penthouse I felt a little pricey. We opted for the one down and it was well worth it considering the location.

Regards

S...

Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

This hotel just a few steps from the historic district is a great find. Try to book an upper room with a view. Service is excellent and the fitness center/spa next door is amazing for a boutique hotel of this size. Good breakfast with a view of the river Cam.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

We arrived around 5pm for our 21 year anniversary weekend in Cambridge to be told that our room has been refurbished but not to worry they would upgrade us to one of the larger suites. This was a classy gesture. The room was fantastic and views from balcony spectacular. Car parking was no problem, a few mins walk away in the Castle car park - only £3 and free all day Sunday. My wife waited in the lounge which had a good selection of drinks and magazines.

The staff on sat evening were very accomodating and sunday extremely helpful and friendly. Could not fault any of them - 10 out of 10.

Breakfast was buffet style and everything you could need sat alongside the river. Getting to the breakfast room was a bit weird through the spa entrance but it was not a problem once we knew the way.

We were so close the city that we spent all our time out eating, shopping or at the cool Picturehouse cinema and forgot to even try the hotel Spa. Maybe next time ..... will definitely return if we can get a room !

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

I was really impressed with this hotel, from the moment we arrived the staff made us feel welcome and the room was lovely. Would recommend a meal in the restaurant too, the food was delicious. Would definitely stay again.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Please note we did not stay at the hotel but had hoped to visit the hotel for a drink and something to eat having read many good things about the hotel on Trip Advisor and I thought it might have been a nice place to have a meal and to stay on another occasion.

The approach to the hotel is down a narrow side street with some attractive period buildings. The hotel by contrast is an ugly modern block (in my opinion) that looks out of keeping with its surroundings and looks like a block of flats rather than a hotel and reminded me of so many of the modern soulless buildings that Cambridge has in abundance. The hotel appeared to be doing some work and the pathway at the side of the hotel had been dug up. The front was very plain and quite scruffy looking with not even a place to pull up in a car.

We entered through a very unpredisposing entrance and went down a corridor to the Reception. I approached the gentleman on Reception and asked where we went for a drink. We were told that the hotel does not have a Bar and that the Lounge was for Resident's only. This seemed strange as the website makes no mention of this and indeed refers to the River Bar Steakhouse and Grill and nowhere on their website could I find reference to the hotel being for Resident's only.

Even so, it would have been nice to perhaps have been offered a small tour of the hotel and I am sure the hotel could have run to a cup of tea! Surely, this would have been a nice way to promote the hotel as it is hardly going to get a lot of passing traffic being where it is.

We found the entire experience very disappointing and thought the hotel - what little we saw of it - had a very strange and unwelcoming atmosphere with staff just hanging around.

Oh dear if this is the best Cambridge has to offer then I think we best avoid Cambridge altogether.

We will not be going back.

10 Thank Piers G