“Food pretty good but overpriced”
Review of Cafe Carringtons - CLOSED

Cafe Carringtons
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Food pretty good but overpriced”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I work nearby and have often popped in for a snack. Today I needed something to last me till later tonight and normally I'd grab a potato from the kiosk on the market but today I fancied sitting elsewhere than the staffroom, so popped in. Wasn't overly busy and the man behind the counter was extremely pleasant and jovial. I ordered a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw which he filled there and then, and added a decent salad garnish. The potato was lovely, extremely filling, the coleslaw creamy and plentiful and the cheese nice and mature. Certainly didn't skimp on portions, but the price, together with a cup of herbal tea, was over £8.00 which I think is a bit much for a spud! It was also quite cold in the restaurant, I kept my coat on. Still, I'll keep going back as it's convenient....it just won't be every day!

• Visited October 2013

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Disgusted”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is the most appalling place I have EVER had lunch. I took my daughters here for lunch and ordered two toasted chicken sandwiches. About 10 minutes later they arrived, they were chicken and bacon! So we sent them back and asked for another one. Only to be told that they have changed the menu and no longer serve them!! We pointed to the menu and showed them the slip we were given when we ordered them from the man. After asking for a refund they came over 10 minutes later and said they would make us one. In the meantime I had spoken to another member of staff who confirmed that they do make them, although at this point the other member of staff arrived and announced they would be made. That's the end of it? NO!!! They arrived and were freezing cold!!! The chicken wasn't even slightly warm. They then microwaved them!!! Yes meat as well!!! It was disgusting - the bread was hard, staff were rude. This is the most unpleasant lunch I have ever had!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Herts, England
“Hidden location. Gorr for light lunch or tea”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

You would hardly know this place is here - its a through a narrow doorway and down steps on Market Street between Holy Trinity Church and the Nat West Bank.

Have eaten here several times - good range of lunch dishes - salads, baguette, toasted sandwiches etc. and cakes for tea. Prices very reasonable, and has not been crowded when I've visited, no trouble finding a table.

Its nothing fancy, and I haven't tried their proper cooked dishes ( which looked less appetising) - but can recommend it for a light meal at a very reasonable price.

• Visited April 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Cambridge BEST kept secret”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is THE BEST place in the WORLD (and I have travelled it) for Fish & Chips.
There is a waitress there called LILY - she is the best......
WELL DONE Lily..... You deserve a pay rise
And to the Supervisor - WHERE is that Apple Pie.... hahahaha
1 MILLION % recommended.......

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank SamianSolutions
Cambridge, UK
“undercooked sausages are apparently supposed to look like that?....”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

or that 's what I was told when I let them know that the sausage served to one of my daughters wasn't cooked all the way through. Without even looking at the food, the lady behind the counter (who seemed rather irritated I mentioned it) informed me that all the sausages looked like that and they were cooked properly. I did try to point out that the sausage on my other daughters sandwich (which had been cut in half and cooked off properly) looked okay, she walked away.

Rude. Very rude. Uncooked food is not good for you (can give you food poisoning or worms). It would have been nice if they had given us the courtesy of checking the food before they pronounced me wrong.

I vote with my feet and won't be going back.

• Visited March 2013