“Sausages and Mash for lunch at your Ely Cafe”
Review of Cafe Carringtons - CLOSED

Cafe Carringtons
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Sausages and Mash for lunch at your Ely Cafe”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Hi, We went to Ely last Friday and had our lunch at your Cafe in the Cloisters. I had the Sausages and Mash and must tell you it is probably the best I've ever had and as it's one of my favorites, I've had quite a few. It's fantastic to find somewhere that can make proper gravy and have really good sausages. Thanks again, I'll be back for some more.

• Visited April 2014

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

An underground cafe that offers a great choice of hot and cold dishes. Freshly prepared. Good value prices. Seating area a little cramped and limited toilet facilities but difficult to complain for the price and service.

Visited August 2013
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
“Overall : average quality food, good service. OK for a quick meal.”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I decided what to to write about this visit before I read previous reports, and I am surprised at the variety of experiences.
I suppose it's luck of the draw on the day.
We visited quite late for lunch (about 2.30 pm) on a busy Saturday afternoon. We had visited once before, and my wife recalled that it had been a good choice.
Although it was still very busy, we found a table fairly quickly and chose our meals from the long self-service style counter.
I had to wait just a few minutes for my freshly-cooked chips, which I had with my equally good-tasting beef and ale pie. The peas weren't the best I have seen and tasted.
My wife had a quiche and salad, (and a few of my chips).
The cafe is below ground level, (so be prepared for steep steps) and was a bit noisy; enhanced by the clatter of catering work being done in the kitchen. The background music was barely audible.
Although fairly cool outside, I don't know why the air-conditioning was on inside the cafe. It was a bit distracting as light items (serviettes, etc) were blown around.
Tables were cleared and cleaned by efficient and friendly staff.
Our apple pie and custard was delivered to our table with the traditional 'enjoy' from the waitress.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank CountrysideBasher
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Don't bother going here. Ever.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We went here to try somewhere new for lunch and soon wished we hadn't bothered. First of all there were the queues... Why make people who aren't having a carvery queue up behind those that are.

Having persevered with the queue, we were bemused to find that upon ordering coffee, you actually have to make your own. Call me a snob but if I wanted to make my own coffee, I would have stayed at home rather than paying for the privilege.

I ordered the bacon and Brie panini. It arrived and looked lovely... Until I took a closer look at realised it was covered in some sort of pickle/ onion. Now call me fussy, but if I order bacon and Brie then that's what I expect. Nowhere on the menu did it mention any relish. I took it back to complain and expected they could make me a fresh one without the relish. After all this is a place that prides it on home cooked, fresh food. But no, I was told (rather rudely) that all paninis came with onion relish. I did point out that it didn't mention this anywhere on the menu but was looked at as if I was an alien.

If you want home cooled, fresh and tasty food with excellent coffee, DON'T go here. Go to the cafe at the tourist information instead.

1 Thank Charlp88
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Food pretty good but overpriced”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I work nearby and have often popped in for a snack. Today I needed something to last me till later tonight and normally I'd grab a potato from the kiosk on the market but today I fancied sitting elsewhere than the staffroom, so popped in. Wasn't overly busy and the man behind the counter was extremely pleasant and jovial. I ordered a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw which he filled there and then, and added a decent salad garnish. The potato was lovely, extremely filling, the coleslaw creamy and plentiful and the cheese nice and mature. Certainly didn't skimp on portions, but the price, together with a cup of herbal tea, was over £8.00 which I think is a bit much for a spud! It was also quite cold in the restaurant, I kept my coat on. Still, I'll keep going back as it's convenient....it just won't be every day!

• Visited October 2013