“Totally awful”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel when visiting my daughter who is at Uni in Cambridge. It was a surprise visit for her birthday and I was so disappointed I wish I had stayed at my usual spot the Days Inn. This hotel is filthy, the bathroom had mould on the shower curtain, the window frames are covered in mildew, the toilet was dirty...all round horrible. The only good thing was that the bed was comfortable. I paid extra for breakfast in my room and this was cold by the time it arrived. Wouldn't normally give a place a terrible review like this, however, I complained to hotel reception at the time of my visit and they said they agreed that the hotel needed an upgrade! I contacted DeVere on 2 occasions after I returned to let them know how I felt about being charged £125 for such poor accomodation. I have not had an acknowledgement from them which would imply that they don't really mind what their guests think. Having read some similar reviews I think it's only fair that people know what they are wasting their money on.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank halfastep

Reviewed 10 July 2011

If you are driving, plan on no place to park and no valet assistance. When we arrived we were told to park 2 1/2 blocks away which would cost about 22 pounds. There is only one luggage cart, and help with luggage is non existent. The AC did not work, and there was no instruction manual in the room to help you figure it out. The TV remote was broken and the room was old and had not been maintained. The management of this hotel needs a wake up call as the hotel needs to be brought up to date and the policies reviewed. There has to be a better place to stay in Cambridge other than this.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The room was small, very dusty and in need of a deep clean. Furniture was old, stained and shabby, the paintwork was flaking badly, there was a filthy fan in addition to a large air conditioning unit. On the positive side the fruit in the room was good and the bed linen was crisp and clean. Overall, very disappointing and for £245 for the night plus £16 parking charge it was way over-priced. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Location is great, right in the heart of town, perfect for shopping, visiting colleges etc. Parking is an issue. The car park ramp angle is too steep - we tried to go up the ramp into the car park and scraped the bottom of our sports car and ultimately couldn't find a space anyway so had to park at our son's college and drag our cases up the road! The communal areas are quite worn and shabby, with paint peeling and in need of a general overhaul. We stayed in room 321 which is a definite 'must' with real wow factor. It was luxuriously furbished, very large with a dressing area and beautiful ensuite and overlooked Parker's Piece. We did look at other rooms on arrival but they looked tired and not very inspiring. If you stay at this hotel, you should definitely stay in 321. Unlike other reviews here, our room was spotless. The staff were helpful in the main but didn't explain the air conditioning controls very well to us and we had to get someone up several times before we were comfortable with the temperature. The lift wasn't working but we like using the stairs so that wasn't an issue for us. We would definitely come back for the great location but only if we could have the same room!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Good central location but room dirty and in need of refurb with peeling wallpaper and old furniture. Check out v slow, poor signage and £14 to park for a night. Wouldn't go again

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 16 June 2011

If you use this hotel do not allow them to pre-authorise your card. The reception staff pre-authorised mine twice in error and despite numerous calls did not release it until four days after I had paid the bill in full and left. Effectively, they charged me twice for my stay there and when I called was told it was not their problem, it was up to the bank and that it would take 7 days to refund. They were no prepared to help in any way despite the fact that their error caused me to go overdrawn and incur bank charges. They were not even prepared to offer any gesture of goodwill to compensate for their error.
The lesson is, pay in cash so that you can be sure that you only pay once!
The price of parking is extortionate as well - £8 per day and £8 per night, so for each night you stay it costs you £16.
It is a shame because this is a lovely hotel, and the front of house staff are great. The management could certainly learn some lessons from them in terms of customer service!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Calypso79
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here on the 21st May 2011 for my girlfriends sister's wedding, the staff really went the extra mile to look after us, even sending out people to round up guests who had wandered off whilst the bride and groom were having their photos done!!! The food was amazing despite the fact that the chef had to wait an extra 45 minutes for us to be ready for it.
Rooms were comfy and had a lovely veiw of the park, and despite being town centre - really quiet! Breakfast, like dinner, was lovely with lots to choose from. The corridors and bedrooms could do with a bit of an upgrade but they more than make up for this with the service. Everything was spotlessly clean and the bed was VERY comfy, if i could have packed the bed, pillows and duvet i would have.

I would definately stay here again! thanks to all the staff who made the day really special for my girlfriends family!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple