“Great Conference”

Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Henley on Arden
“Great Conference”
Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, central location, with reasonable free wi- fi. Breakfast exceptional, buffet, rooms dated, but clean. reception very helpful.
Good value for money.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Andrej S, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Warwickshire80

Thank you for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Andrej stein
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Room was very tired and air conditioning not working. Dirty coffee cups left in the room. Unfortunately the noise from Parkers Piece went on 'till 4am and the the air conditioning units just next to my bedroom started just after 5am - so much for a quiet room and getting any sleep!
Disaster stuck on trying to get my car off the carpark at 7am one morning - I was blocked in and no one had taken the number plate details when that person booked in. After having to pay £35 for a taxi to my meeting and back I was told that the hotel was not responsible for any problems in the car park and so would not refund me. I was also charged £10 for one night when I couldn't even get my car on the hotel car park!
All in all the worst weekend I've had in a hotel in the UK. I will not be back and have advised all my friends who are also regular business visitors to Cambridge of several far nicer, more professional alternatives.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank susan h

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We had a room facing the park and street. We had noise outside of our window till dawn. A neighborhood drunk finally stopped hollering at dawn, his last words being "In the name of St. Andrew, please help me up!" The windows are not adequate to keep out the noise. There were young people drunk the whole night. A chain pizza was across the street, which was a draw for them.

Our room was extra large with 3 beds for 2 people.

Room Tip: A room off the street is the only option for this facility.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

Our room was cramped. It was also street facing directly opposite a noisy bar which was open to the early hours Sunday morning. The rear facing room back onto Parkers Peice which would be far quieter and provide a lovely view.
The air conditioning was not working when we arrived , although this was quickly resolved. The car park is very small but well priced . The in room drinks only had earl grey, herbal tea and coffee but very good quantities provided.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Andrej S, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Mandar01,

Thank you for your review.

I was happy to read that we were able to resolve the problem with air conditioning. It's great to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I travel quite a lot with work and stop in a lot of hotels but this stay at the University Arms was a weekend away with my wife. First off I have to say the staff were great, the first room we were given had obviously had a water leak at some point as the carpet was damp and the room smelt very badly of damp. The staff, as you'd hope/expect, were very apologetic and swapped us to a new room straight away. That was all fair enough, these things happen.

But I have to say the standard of the rooms was very poor, it looked from the corridors and the rooms that the last time a refit had taken place was in the late 80s not only from a style & technology point of view, also the entire place looked tired. The main building is beautiful from the outside but inside everything from the battered and worn reception desk to the carpets to the walls all looked way past their best.

Combined with that, the double rooms are really very small. My business travel is abroad (around Asia mostly) and the size of the rooms compared to my usual hotels was minuscule. Also, no obvious signs of Internet in the room and a CRT TV just added to the dated and tired feel.

The University Arms once enjoyed a good reputation in Cambridge, but I have to say it's in drastic need of investment as the other large hotels in Cambridge centre offer much better quality and value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear virtualbma,

Thank you for your review.

I was sad to read that you felt the hotel was not up to your standard. We do our best to internally maintain our hotel, although I hope you do understand that it is rather difficult in this financial climate.

Thank you again for your comments.

Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We had a lovely stay for our wedding anniversary. Loved the character of the old hotel - the bar and breakfast room. Views over Parker's piece very nice. Room OK - as others have said- a little tired. Staff very pleasant. Breakfast excellent. Location excellent.
However, I feel staff would be helped if the De Vere chain modified some of their systems and policies. Central booking was at least a half hour affair. 2 rooms - one for 2 nights, one for 3 nights involved 3 transactions each of which is charged a £2.50 fee if you use a credit card. During the process I was quoted a room rate of £159 per night but then charged £348 for 2 nights (not £318 as expected) - the system did not highlight to the operator that there was an increased rate of £30 if the stay included saturday. There were curious differences in the rooms despite being the same rate - dressing gowns, slippers and fresh fruit in one but not the other. During our stay, we were billed for extras on the inclusive evening meal despite all 4 of us selecting from the correct menu. We almost missed breakfast on monday morning as we were not advised of the different times - there was no hotel information in the room, or on the key card. De Vere should also consider changing their policy on the TV in the lounge. During the last match of the season, 3 different groups of people, all residents, were watching the TV coverage, quietly while having a drink. A member of staff came to inform us that the channel would be changed to the news channel as this was company policy. Not one person in the room wanted to watch the news and no-one minded the football. Our room was being cleaned so we had no other option - which was checked out - a compromise was eventually reached until housekeeping had finished. I felt sorry for the staff member, who was only doing her job, but did feel that guests should have more choice in the viewing or remove the TV altogether.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Parker's piece
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise A
Dear Denise A,

Thank you for your review.

I have passed all your comments on to our central reservations team in regards to the procedure, which indeed does not seem to be our standard practice.

Please do let me apologise for not advising you on the different breakfast times. This indeed should have been done on check in.

In our Bar - our policy indeed is to have a news channel on. This is to maintain a neutral atmosphere.

Thank you again for your comments.

Operations Manager.
Bellagio, Italy
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Time has taken its toll here but the hotel still claims to be at the top of its field. In need of an update. Very comfortable beds. General maintenance could be better.
Breakfasts were very good but the variety offered on Monday was noticeably less than atthe weekend.
Afternoon tea was not nearly as attractive as the photos widely displayed, expensive for what we got.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Choristerlad,

Thank you for your review.

We understand your comments in regards to the hotel maintenance. We have a maintenance team of 4 talented and motivated staff that are pro-actively working on the hotel to ensure all aspects of maintenance are covered.

I was very sad to read that the Afternoon tea did not live up to your expectations. Perhaps if you could find the time, would you be able to e-mail in specific what exactly you did not enjoy.
Andrej.Stein@devere-hotels.com

Once again I thank you for your comments.