“Complete disgrace!”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
lowestoft
“Complete disgrace!”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We paid £129 for a 1 night stay and think that it was an absolute joke and a complete insult of a stay. I had come all the way from Sri Lanka to sit an exam in the morning. From the room we could hear loud music until 12pm. I rang reception at about 10 to complain and was told that it would finish at 12 and the guy commented that 'maybe we shouldn't book such late parties in the future'. The party guests then proceeded to make a hell of a lot of noise going to bed until about 1am. My mother complained in the morning on check-out as I was sitting the exam and was told that 'we should have been offered an alternative room'. Well, we weren't. And maybe it should have been taken into consideration that there was a party going on when we were checked in.

The room's furniture was small, very tired and our view was onto a light well. Not exactly what you would expect from a £129 room. It already did not impress me without the noise problems.

Parking was an additional £16, which is pretty steep.

I will be writing to the management.

I paid £700 to come from Sri Lanka for an interview and exam and I feel that my chances of sucess were hampered by this hotel. Something I would absolutely not expect when we paid so much.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want to be guaranteed sleep!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Dear jsm101

I note the content of your review and understand you will be writnig to the hotel and we will await your communication so we can reply to you formally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed here on 17th December and was very impressed with this hotel.The reviews made me wary about going but I was pleasantly surprised.On entering the hotel there was lovely display of well cared for plants,display boxes in reception area were well presented and made such a difference from the usual things you see in these cabinets.
Reception team gave a arm welcome and were very friendly.I wandered around the ground floor area and found all areas to be spotless and well kept.All staff I met had a smile.The lunch in Parkers Bar overlooking the green was very enjoyable.
The room we had was spacious,very clean with a fresh smell and plenty of toiletries and variety of teas etc.Admittedly some areas could do with a revamp but the warmth and lovely surroundings was a joy to behold.All staff from reception,bar,breakfast and housekeeping area credit to this lovely victorian hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Emma S

Pleased you were pleasantly surprised by your stay.

Our team do try hard to ensure our guests have a good stay and your comments are very motivational for the team.

We hope you stay with us again in 2013.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Well what can I say! This is the best Christmas we have had in years, the staff were so helpful & friendly, the food was superb (don't know how some people can moan about the breakfast!) yes the rooms are a bit tired, but certainly very clean.

The bar prices are a bit inflated, so on Boxing Day we did venture to the Wetherspoons down the road.

Great location for visiting Cambridge & we would certainly book for Christmas next year, if the offer is as good as it was for this year.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yolanda F
Dear Yolanda F

Very pleased you had the best Christmas for years with us and found the food and staff superb.

Glad you took the time and trouble to write a positive review as most guests who enjoy there stay do not.
Normally our breakfasts are percieved to be very good by our guests, but that will depend what time you come down to the dining room as on occasion there can be a substantial rush.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Chrsitmas 2013.
Cambridge, England
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We stayed on the night of 21 December in a 1st floor room overlooking the air-conditioning equipment. Ok, not a beautiful view from the window, but the room was clean, if not a little too warm. We all have different comfort levels so I am sure it is hard to please every one. The room was tired looking but the linen was very nice. Hopefully with the new management money will be
spent to bring the hotel up to 21st century standards. Breakfast was ok not wonderful, but not really bad either. We had been to an office Christmas Party and this room was the same cost as a taxi into and out off Cambridge so who is complaining!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear pollypin1

Thank you for your review pleased you found the hotel clean and comfortable.
We are sorry you only found our breakfast OK as we normally recieve very good comments about its qualitry and the selection available.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

Four of us stayed here for two nights in November. First the plus points: very central, reasonable prices, half of our party were upgraded to the best room in the hotel.
Now for the not so good:
a) Beer pumps had not been cleaned properly, resulting in bar staff (who didn't have a clue) serving beer that could have caused severe illness. If I hadn't pointed it out they would have kept serving beer with caustic chemicals in it!
b) Bar staff couldn't serve the drinks (eg. Belini) on their own menu.
c) Breakfast was poor, fatty bacon and not much choice for anyone wanted decent bread, cheese, etc
d) Hotel was tired and in desparate need of a make over

I will give the Duty Manager his due, after complaining about several apects (most disturbing being the bar staff and the awful state of their beer pumps) he did complement us our parking, but I shouldn't have needed to be the one in the first place pointing out they were trying to poison their guests!
Hotel has been sold so hopefully new owners will spend some money on a tired building and give their staff (specifically in the bar and restaurant) some decent training in how to do their jobs

• Stayed November 2012
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Dear mab_robinson

Thank you for your review we are sorry if you experienced problems, however pleased you enjoyed our central location and reasonable prices.

I can assure you that the beer pipes are cleaned every single week without fail.

If you look at our previous review we normally get very positive comments about our breakfasts so I am not sure if the problem was a timing issues with all of our guests coming down at once for breakfast.

As you have indicated he hotel has been sold and the new owners are looking at re-branding the hotel and refurbishing it.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Awful food, service, staff! Disappointed yet AGAIN! Had my wedding here 12 years ago was awful then and is no better now. Indifferent staff who really and obviously do not care, bar prices that change within seconds and customers from £19 to £46(!?) for a bottle. Truly terrible hotel whose staff from top to bottom DO NOT seem to care!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear ZoeFH

Your review is so vague I cannot really comment on it.

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My partner and I had our civil ceremony on the 23 August 2012 at this beautiful hotel.
From the very first phone call till the day after the wedding we could not fault their services. Laura (the wedding co-ordinator ) was very efficient, calm, professional, and patient. We were able to ask any questions without feeling we were being a burden.
We found the hotel to be very clean, inviting, and warm.
As for the food, I can highly recommend Mark the chef. My wedding guests all had a varied taste in food from normal, veggies, to RAW, yes raw food. I knew this was going to be a challenge for them but thank god they rose to the challenge and did an amazing job THANK YOU!!.
On the day of the wedding, Laura sadly could not make it but we were left in the capable hands of the gorgeous Dante. He was great to be around and I felt like I had my own personal bodyguard :) .
I must not forget to mention the rooms, I had two different rooms and they were both GREAT! nothing to complain about. The Honeymoon suite is amazing!
For me to sum up this review i would say it is a must visit, you will not be disappointed with the services here.
Kind regards
P&C.

Room Tip: Get married !!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula H
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Paula H

We are delighted we could make your day special.
Thank you for your very positive comments about Laura, Mark and Dante they will be very pleased.
We hope to see you again soon.