“Very tired hotel. Very poor value for money.”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I find it bad that hotels with a car park can charge £16 to park overnight.
This was only the start of my problems. When checking in I noticed on the check inform that the rate shown was considerably lower than what I had paid. I queried this to be informed. "Oh that is the rate we give to the company you booked with and they put their commission on top"............very unprofessional!!
In the bedrooms there is a lack of plug points. I had to take the tv plug out to charge my phone and after much searching fund another point next to the bed where I had to plug in the kettle to make a coffee.
The rooms are extremely tired and the walls are paper thin. I could hear everything from the corridor including the late night room service.

1  Thank SheffieldYorkie_49

Reviewed 24 January 2013

It looks like a change of management has occured as the hotel was much improved with regard to service. As everyone else has said a make-over is overdue but the service was infinetely better than my last stay, especially a very pleasant and helpful young lady on reception.
Finger crossed that they keep moving in the right direction as it's the best location in Cambridge for my business trips (providing there's still a car parking space).

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks Regent street as they're quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear Susan H
Thank you so much for the kind review you posted recently following your brief stay with us here at The University Arms.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and found our reception team to be friendly and accommodating.
Thank you once again, and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming back to the University Arms in the near future.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Stayed just after New Year and the hotel was quiet but that made no difference to the staff as they were excellent as usual, The manager on the day was the Head Housekeeper and she welcomed us with open arms, arranged our baggage to be taken to the room and collected again on departure . My husband and I stayed in room 316 this time which is a quirky, very clean and has a homely atmosphere to it. Our breakfast arrived dead on the time requested and was excellent. The hotel has now been sold and we were told the refurbishment would be taking place. When this is done it will be a magnificent hotel as the building itself is beautiful with the awesome ballroom where breakfast is served and Parker's Bar is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a snack and drink overlooking Parkers Piece. The staff at this hotel know what customers want and make sure they are happy and taken care of.. There are areas of the hotel which let it down but the public areas are well cared for, rooms clean, food very good and the staff are the icing on top of the cake. It is in an excellent location with many shops and restaurants all within walking distance. The check in and out was efficient with freindly staff. We have stayed in other hotels in Cambridge before we discovered this jewell in the crown and would not stay anywhere esle and we visit Cambridge every 2/3 months.to visit our children at University and meet up with family.

Room Tip: If possible get a room facing Parkers Piece A bit more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scottie09
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Scottie09
Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at the University Arms
I am absolutely delighted if not somewhat embarrassed to read such a wonderful account of your stay with us. It is so very refreshing in today’s age to learn that all our efforts have been worthwhile and that our customers have enjoyed their time with us.
It is very much a team effort here at the University Arms, and I have taken the liberty of shearing your views with all concerned. My team are equally delighted.
I do sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I was attending an event at this hotel when poor weather forced a last minute overnight stay.

This is a characterful hotel, with a 'faded grandeur'. I can see it would cost a huge amount of money as well as considerable disruption to restore the features, textiles and sheer glamour, so perhaps the owners have elected to just leave it to deteriorate rather than do the restoration it so desperately needs.

However, despite the decaying sealant around my bath (check under the bath taps in room 323 please hotel owner and ask yourself if that is acceptable) and the black mould here and there, the hotel room itself was clean, comfortable, warm and enticing.

I had a great night's sleep, space to move around in and everything I needed to keep me comfortable overnight. I also had the unexpected bonus of the snowy Parkers Piece view which was lovely to wake up to.

The really impressive aspect of the hotel were the staff. They couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. This extended from the reception staff to the team organising the event I was attending.

1  Thank TwinkleyAngel

Dear AnAngelHitchin_UK
Thank you for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at The University Arms. I Delighted that our team looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am pleased that you had such a good nights rest. I do note your comments in relation to the bathroom, please rest assured that I will take immediate steps to rectify.
Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review, and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Having stayed here a few Weeks ago with my work for a works christmas dinner, I was sceptical of what to expect with reviews on this website... Its expensive but qualty and service has no price tag and the service is there in all areas of the hotel.

Overall I must agree with the majority of people the hotel rooms are a bit tired and in need of some TLC and new furniture! I think it is the original furniture from when the hotel was built. There is black tape everywhere in the hotel and seems to be used for patch repairs to any surfaces it will stick to! But if you are going to stay then ask for a room over looking the park and this seems to be value for money.

We had trouble with our first room then were moved to a quieter room at the side of the hotel over-looking the park. This room was alot nicer and quieter.

We stayed because I had my christmas party here. And I must say how fantastic the party was, although the food served was mass produced and lacked any quality for a 4* hotel which was disappointing but other than that the whole event and the room we were in was magnificent. I asked at reception about booking the room for my 40th later this year and was given Dante's business card the event manager. Him and his team worked hard and put on an excellent night so I really am looking forward to booking my birthday here.

We had some trouble thoughout the night with the people next to us being loud on returning from a night out. I rang reception and spoke to the Night Manager ( Jim or Tim ) and he acted promptly to resolve the situation coming straight away and getting the noisy Radio and guys to quieten down. He offered us a drink as an apology which was a nice gesture. and almost immediately a tall spanish waiter appeared with our drinks. We stayed talking to the manager about the hotel and he explained they were due a rehaul in the near future now the hotel was no longer Devere. he explained about the history of the hotel and thats what gives it character. I hope this happens so I can arrange to stay here again but in a nicer room.

In the morning we went and had breakfast in the Stunning Ballroom. THe breakfast is fantastic with a wide variety to choose from, including traditional cooked breakfast, continental breakfast, fruits and cereals. We were taken to our table by Mariah who was equally as attentive as Jim/Tim was the night before and the waitresses from my party.
We got our coffee to our table in a minute and ate of the buffett with a good old fry-up, probably one of the best breakfast's ive had in a few years!

So overall the rooms are in need of a major Re-haul but the service and breakfast make it worth while! Its true when they say the staff really make or break your stay and the Manager of this hotel has great staff and excellent staff made our event and stay so special. They are a credit to the hotel.

So lets hope the rehaul happens in the next few months so I can return and stay the night for my birthday.

Room Tip: Any room over looking the park is a must! The park is beautiful!
2  Thank cambsguy09

Dear Cambsguy09
It’s with a tremendous sense of pride I read your recent review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay and that our team looked after you so well.
I am pleased that our night manager (Timothy) managed to resolve the noise issue before it adversely affected your stay. I also am impressed with the remedial action he had taken.
I very much appreciate your kind comments in relation to both Mariah & Dante, I will be sure to pass this feedback on to them.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.
With Gratitude

Reviewed 12 January 2013

Location of the hotel is excellent. Parking's relatively easy. Staff were excellent when we visited. However the hotel needs updating. The lobby & lifts are out of date and the rooms needs renovating. Worth a stay at a discounted price

1  Thank DerekAk

Dear DerekAk
Thankyou for your recent review.
I am always pleased to receive excellent feedback about the hotel staff. I Appreciate your sentiments with regards to the hotel needing updating and would like to point out that we are planning a refurbishment program.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Stayed here on the 16th of december, had a lovely stay, hotel is right in the town centre, so ideal for visiting the many shops and sights Cambridge has to offer. The hotel is very nice although a little "care worn", breakfast is the buffet style, which was very nice, The hotel is a little pricey, in my opinion, especially when they have the cheek to charge you £16 to park the car,

1  Thank Johngregory250666

Dear John Gregory 25066
Thankyou for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was very pleased to learn that you had a ‘Lovely Stay’, i would also like to thank you for your kind sentiments regarding our breakfast offering and i look forward welcoming you back to The University Arms in the near Future.
Warm Regards