“Great location, lovely room”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This was our second visit to the University Arms. we had learned from last time that you can't take a low slung sports car into the car park as it's a steep incline with a ramp sticking up so we dropped off our cases and parked elsewhere and walked back. Not a problem. We had booked room 321 again. It's a chic and glamorous room with luxurious furnishings and a delightful bathroom with views from bedroom and bathroom over Parkers Piece. We had a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit on arrival and the room was immaculately clean. Breakfast was very good, again with lovely views over Parkers Piece, and the wait staff were very helpful and courteous. Location is really good, so central, and walking distance to most of the colleges and shops. We had a lovely stay and would recommend room 321 to anyone wanting to stay here. Yes, the corridors need a spruce up as they're looking tired and I can't speak for the other bedrooms as I haven't seen them but we will definitely return as our experience was very positive.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank chocarmy
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Dear Borisbeard45
It is with a great sense of pride that I read your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location and you found your room to be 'luxurious'. I'm grateful that you have chosen to point out our wonderful views across Parkers Peace and must confess, I do find these views inspiring on a chilly winter's morning.

Here at the University Arms we pride ourselves on the diligence of our housekeeping teams and our service staff and am delighted that this has been recognized.
Thank you once again Borisbeard45 for your truly flattering comments, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed due to a city center college alumni dinner and it was good to be able to walk to and from the evening event. However, nothing beyond the location would encourage us back.
The bed was vast and good, but too large for the room as it left little space around. The bathroom is tired, but functional. The room key didn't work first time and had to be re-done: ridiculously, the key card is not marked on how it fits into the mechanism so there are four options to try so it took an awfully long time to confirm that it was the key not working rather than me being stupid (as was my wife's assumption) before having to return it to reception.
Parking is a problem: this is not directly the hotel's fault as Cambridge is very restricted. However, an arrangement with a local multi storey, a map showing how to find them or anything beyond the receptions staff's "we don't reserve spaces on site" would be helpful. A tip: don't go into the basement parking unless you have confirmed there is a spot - it is so tight it is almost impossible to go round and get out again.

Dear BaldieBrit

Thank you for your recent review posted on trip advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location and you found it convenient.

I am disappointed to learn however that there is very little that would encourage you back. I note your comment in relation to the vast bed, that you felt was too large for the room. While I realise this is not to everyone's taste, after numerous guest surveys we found that a large and comfortable bed is key to an enjoyable stay.

I'm sorry to learn you had difficulty in using your key card, but am pleased to report that this is something we are taking steps to correct. I would like to thank you for your understanding with relation to our car parking. As you quite rightly point out, space in any city centre, particularly Cambridge, is always valued as premium, and it's for this reason that some of our spaces in the lower floor car park can be quite small.
I would also like to point out that we do indeed have tariffs and maps for the car park opposite the hotel on Parkers Peace. I am truly sorry that this was not relayed to you.

BaldieBritt, I would like to thank you once again for your kind review, and should you wish to stay with us again I would relish the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

The only reason me and my wife stayed here was because it was central and it was last minute. The room was dated and stuffy and it really needs updating to warrant the price of the room. The breakfast wasn't bad, but we were both hungover so would've eaten anything! There are much better places to stay in Cambridge and we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Matle,

Thank you for your recent and frank review on trip advisor. It is true that some of our bedroom inventory requires some updating; we believe that this is reflected in the specialist rates we offer. I am sorry that you do not appear to agree.

Should you wish to reconsider, I would relish the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We booked the University Arms in Cambridge for a night away from the kids, looking forward to some quality time, restaurant, night out, lie in etc..... This being in spite of its mixed reviews.
They were mixed but mostly good service but dated shabby interior, to be honest, I’m good with that, I love quality service in old character slightly worn hotels, so was happy to book.
I mentioned on arrival that the reviews said to ensure you get a re-furbished room as they were better, that didn’t go down well, the immediate response was if you pay more you can have a better room, quite defensive. My response was if they are not fit for purpose I would take my £120 a night somewhere else!
So much for the friendly staff!
We went to our room, which in fact was fine after all that.
The hotel was a little dated, a little worn, but a great location for Cambridge centre and had what looked to be a traditional bar for later.
Later, we went to the traditional bar, ordered cocktails and a bottle of wine to see us into the evening, settled into the sofa and relaxed.
The head barman came over; I thought he was checking if we were ok, he looked at my wife and I, and said, and I’m not joking “take your feet off the furniture”, this was directly to my wife. I was so shocked I actually looked at her and said, Darling remove you feet!
We were very well dressed having been out for the evening, my wife had removed her shoes and cuddled up to me, drawing her feet up onto what I can only describe and a worn out ripped cheap burgundy oxford sofa, not hurting anyone and perfectly acceptable.
To be told off in broken English by a senior member of staff in front of a bar full of guests is madness for any sort of establishment.
I left the bar, found the manager Mathew, who was very sympathetic and immediately removed the chap from the bar not to be seen again. This was all very dramatic and I’m sure it was for our benefit, however, none of the other bar staff spoke to us again that evening and we had to leave due to the atmosphere.
We were offered no apology, asked if we were ok, not complimentary drinks to make amends, just a big cold shoulder.
I personally can’t abide people who never say at the time they are not happy then run off and write a report on sites like this but on check out no one asked us if we enjoyed our stay, we never heard from the manager again and are still utterly disgusted with the appalling Hotel called the University Arms!

Room Tip: Go to a better hotel if you want to find a nice room, any hotel!
2  Thank Steven M
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear Steven M,

I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor, however, I must confess I am deeply saddened you felt the need to write your review in the manner you did. Whilst I’m not disputing the situation, I would go so far as to say that it is overly critical and verges on being unfair. I would like to take this opportunity to deal with your concerns point by point.

In relation to your query concerning your complimentary upgrade, I would like to clarify that the refurbished rooms we have to offer are charged at a premium rate. It is the policy of the Hotel that all room upgrades are charged at a supplement. I must admit I find it hard to believe that one of our reception team would come across in a defensive manner when merely being asked about a standard policy. Although I am pleased to note that you did not feel the need for an upgrade as you found the room to be perfectly satisfactory.

I would like to reiterate my unreserved apology for my team member’s over zealous behaviour on that night, as I explained to you on the evening, I was disappointed and surprised. Your review would indicate that, once you had discussed the matter with me, I had the barman in question removed. I most certainly remember circumstances a little differently; upon conclusion of our conversation, I left the bar and asked a colleague of the barmen to ask him to come and see me. This was in effort to be discreet and avoid the ‘dramatic’ affect you stated. I gave the barman appropriate coaching and asked him to resume his shift at the bar.

The barman you refer to has lived and worked in England for more than 15 years, 10 of which spent in the service industry, and I would describe his English to be anything other than broken. We are truly fortunate to be in such a multi-cultural city like Cambridge; I am pleased both the customers and staff at our Hotel reflect this diversity.

When I spoke to you personally, you informed me of how polite and well mannered our team had been for the duration of your stay, with the exception of this one incident, and how much you loved the hotel. You inferred heavily all you wanted to do was to report this incident so that it could be resolved quickly and effectively. At no point did I feel it was appropriate to encroach on your evening further. I apologise, once again, if I had misinterpreted your wishes in any way, however, I am left wondering if I would be reading an equally critical appraisal of my conduct if I had.

Steven M, it is my sincerest wish that the aforementioned, unfortunate incident has not cast aspersions on the University Arms nor the service standards we strive to deliver. Should you wish to rebook with us at anytime, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly and I would be more than happy to oversee your stay.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We visit Cambridge often and have always stayed at the Gonville but decided to try the University Arms as we were planning to join other family members who were staying there. Big mistake! Whilst the reception areas were very pleasant and elegant, the corridors, stairs and bedrooms were barely worthy of 3 stars, never mind 4. The first room we were shown was the smallest room, with the smallest bed and the smallest bathroom that we have stayed in for many years. The furniture was battered, the furnishings threadbare and the bathroom possibly from the 50s. We were shown to a larger room, which was certainly bigger, with a slightly more modern bathroom, but still overall a very poor standard, with 4 freestanding heaters and filthy net curtains over old window frames with single glazing that alllowed us to hear the conversations of all passing revellers at all times of the night....

On a positive note, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly, I just felt so sorry ablout the services they had to offer and manage. They deserve much from their employers - is that still Devere??? I understand the hotel has been sold and presumably awaiting a refurb from someone, but till then, I will definitely not be returning and will simply book the Gonville again with it's excellent standard of rooms and free parking!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
3  Thank AyresyJ
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was expecting this hotel to be something special, the entrance hall and the dress of the staff - high expectations allow for great disappointment... Bedrooms were very outdated and could see they had been well lived in. Mould in the shower, damaged decor and stained sofas do not spell elegant Cambridge hotel.
All 5 of us did not sleep well, although the beds were comfy the temperature fluctuated (due to a very noisy, inaccurate air con unit) and the masses of noisy passers by at all hours of the night (I realise this is out of the hotels control but it is worth considering if you're a light sleeper). The location of the hotel is great but this hotel does not deserve such a place.
However the breakfast in the morning was great, choice of freshly cooked food as well as the usual continental selection. Talking to one of the breakfast staff he said the hotel had recently changed hands/management so with any luck they will spruce up the place!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank S-M4X

Dear S-Max

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review following you recent stay with us. It is true that some areas of our hotel are a little dated and awaiting refurbishment. The member of the breakfast service team you refer to is quite right; the University Arms has recently changed hands. I'm pleased confirm a refurbishment schedule l is well under way; however we are still awaiting a date for completion.

I'm very appreciative of your kind comments concerning our breakfast offering. Our chef brigade take great pains to select only the very freshest produce, prepared with years of experience. I'm sure that they will be delighted to learn that these efforts are noted.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Bought my husband a one night stay as a Christmas present. We had never been to Cambridge and wanted to visit the colleges and staying in the heart of Cambridge was a must. We had a great trip and stay. We were made most welcome by the staff and loved our stay at the hotel. Our room overlooked the park and was spacious, stylish and comfortable. We would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Loved our room overlooking the park. Very quiet.

Dear Nelly9

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay here at the University Arms. I'm delighted to hear that your Christmas present was such a success. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your room overlooking the park, but most of all my team making you feel so very welcome.

Nelly9, thank you once again for your glowing recommendation and we here at the university arms are most grateful to receive it. I most certainly look forward welcoming back in the near future.

Warm Regards