“Disappointed”

and 1 more site!
University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend break. I'd seen the hotel when in Cambridge before and really wanted to stay here, although on reading the recent reviews I was a bit concerned.
I'd asked for a room in the old part facing the park.. Luckily I rang on the day to find this wasn't logged but they were able to give us that type of room at an extra £20 per night.So for 2 nights I paid nearly £300.
The room (214) was small and a bit dark due to the little inset balcony. It was traditionally decorated which made a nice change from the generic modern hotels,and clean (apart from the chair arms and net curtain). I was surprised to see, when on the balcony, that we were actually in the modern part, you can't really tell from the inside.I would have liked a bottle of water and a shower cap, which we've come to expect in hotels nowadays.
There was a conference on the first morning so breakfast was in the Newton Suite. We were seated next to a draughty window and asked to remain there until someone brought our tea and took our cooked food order. The tea was plonked down (without any milk) and no one came to take our order. After waiting for a while, we went individually to the breakfast buffet which continually ran out of items of food, plates, bowls etc. No one seemed to be keeping an eye on things, though they did quickly replenish when asked. We eventually asked a waitress for our full English breakfast which, when it arrived, was quite 'petite' (ok for me , but not enough for my husband).
The next morning in the Ballroom the breakfast buffet ran smoother generally.
I wouldn't stay here again as I feel it is poor value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KIM R
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear, Kim R

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the University Arms. Naturally, where possible we try and accommodate as many of the numerous requests that we receive on a daily basis. I am pleased to hear that for a small supplement we were able to arrange this for you.

Having looked into your room allocation, I can confirm this was a Park view room, I appreciate that this room is not as large as some of our more modern accommodation offerings. With regards to the amenities in your bedroom this is something that we are constantly reviewing, and I have noted your comments for our next review.

Finally, regarding breakfast service on your first morning with us, this is disappointing to learn and I am truly sorry that you were kept waiting and that the service in general was not perhaps as smooth as it should have been.

Best wishes

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Firstly, the room I had was very clean and comfortable - the furnishings and fittings were dated but fitted well with the hotel. The bed did have a huge dip in the middle, but was still of decent quality. The bathroom was warm, extremely small but appeared to have been recently refitted.

The bits to be aware of are the parking and the prices - breakfast was unbelievably expensive and I actually got stuck in the car park because of the tight spaces - if you have anything bigger than a Ford Fiesta don't bother! It was also £16 for the pleasure of getting blocked in, something which they like to remind you by posting a lovely invoice through your door in the middle of the night.

Staff were friendly enough, but a little overkill - I don't particularly like being quizzed about all aspects of my day whilst checking in/out - a simple 'how are you' would have been fine.

Probably wouldn't bother staying here again - the place seems to try to trade off it's supposed grandeur, but is really pretty average to be completely honest. Certainly, I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever consider getting married here. You will be severely disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Matteh-2006

Thankyou for your recent comments posted on trip advisor.
I am pleased that you found your room to be clean and comfortable, and you agree with me that our furnishings fit the hotels surroundings.
I'm delighted that you found our team to be engaging on arrival and departure.

With regards to your comments in relation to our breakfast pricing, we currently offer a wide variety of continental breakfast options available from our buffet as well as plated breakfasts cooked to order.
I would go so far as to say that £14.95 would be more than reasonable and is a base line industry average.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Good points: very central location; extremely helpful staff. Weakness: the hotel really needs major renovations done to it. I've rarely stayed in a hotel which charged such high prices for such a depressing level of decor.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 1Magnus

Dear 1Magnus

Thank you for your very honest and open review posted following your recent stay at the University Arms. I am pleased you enjoyed our central location and you found our teams extremely helpful. It is true that some areas of our hotel require an update, however i am pleased to confirm plans for this are already well underway.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed again after a visit in September - service has improved dramatically with the change of management, William on reception couldn't have been more helpful. Don't know what basic rooms are like but executive rooms are acceptable although could do with refurbishment.... Would advise getting to breakfast relatively promptly as food at self serve does tend to go quickly. Will definitely be using this again as although parking is expensive it is available unlike most Cambridge hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison B

Dear Alison B

Thank you for the flattering review you recently posted on trip advisor. I am absolutely delighted that you found our staff to be helpful and attentive, I will most certainly pass your kind comments to William along with my congratulations.

Thank you very much once again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 February 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Lobby and public areas are nice and well presented but when venturing up to the "King Room" we had booked the lack of investment became clear. Shabby and tired decor could not be improved by a modern flatscreen TV.

It was clean and everything worked but the dull and faded decor was not helped by poor lighting especially in the bathroom. Why is it that hotel don't think their shower heads get clogged and need de-scaling? The random jets from an underpowered shower made for an interesting time.

Our room at the from of the hotel also suffered from street noise and curtains that did not block out the bright street lights outside

Not to the standards of other deVere hotels I have stayed in though the location and easy walk into the centre of the city is the main saving grace.

Room Tip: Go for one at back of hotel way from main street noise which goes on quite late.

Dear Keith _p57

Thank you for your recent review, I'm pleased that you found our location convenient and that everything was clean an in working order. It is true that some areas of our hotel are a little dated however I am please to inform you that plan for our refurbishment are well under way.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and I hope to welcome you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I'm just home from this hotel, I wouldn't have stayed there other than for a works 'do' last night. The hotel is shabby and in desparate need of cleaning and tidying up. In the middle of the night appeared an envelope under the door....a parking charge of £16!! When we went to check out I queried this to be told that we would have been advised on check in of the cost to park...NO and that there were plenty of signs in the carpark informing us of the cost ....NO-not one sign about any sort of charge. I argued the toss and was eventually told that the hotel would waive the charge 'just this once'! The food was poor to average, breakfast was eventually brought after waiting for ages to order, the hot water for my tea was luke warm.....All in all? Never again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the park at the back of the hotel.......5 a.m bottle bank collection....:-(

Dear Jillyflower

I have been replying to guest feedback though various mediums directly for many years. I must confess it is something ordinarily I enjoy, as it is an integral part of helping our hotel to develop. This is due to a vast proportion to be helpful and constructive; your recent post however is neither of these.

To be quite honest I find you claim that our team here at the University Arms "lie" offensive at best.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that in addition to the car parking charges being listed in our car park, they are also published on every reservation confirmation we send out, as well as on third party websites. Also as point of note, as part of our checking process we request our guest to fill in their car registration (I'm assuming you did this, as how else would we know which car was yours), it will at this point guests are reminded of our car parking policy.

I addition I have taken the liberty of uploading pictures taken from both entrances to our car park that clearly display our tariffs.

In relation to your comments concerning our food quality I'm afraid I'm unable to comment. I am sorry to say due to the very tone of your review, I can't possibly lend any further credence it.

Regards