“Cambridge - Shopping, sights and polite staff”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Cambridge - Shopping, sights and polite staff”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We chose the hotel because of it's ideal location. Once arrived we parked the car and found many things to see and do within walking distance.
The hotel decoration is "old world" and could do with a makeover. It does have some interesting period feature which are very much in keeping with it's history.
The beds are very comfortable with good quality linen. Our room was cold when we arrived but a member of staff soon resolved the temperature control issue.
We arrived early and our room was not ready. We were offered a free up grade for a room that we ready, very nice.
All of the hotel staff were very helpful. They gave a level of service that has been forgotten in many hotels and restaurants.
An overall pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Arrive in good time to get the best choice.
2 Thank Richard C
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear RicahrdCSuffock

Thankyou for your recent post, I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's central location and our 'old world' period features.
I'm sorry to hear that you found your room to be a little cold, however I'm very pleased that our teams were able to remedy this so promptly.
I'm also sorry to hear that your room was not ready for your arrival but I am delighted that our reception team took swift action with a complimentary upgrade.
Thank you for your kind sentiments with relation to our staff. I am pleased to learn that our personal level of service that as you have so rightly pointed out is forgotten in many hotels has been noted. Nothing gives me greater pride.

Thank you once again I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed here this weekend as a group of 4 girls. We stayed in 2 twin rooms and although I would agree with previous reviews about the tiredness of the rooms, we couldn't fault the staff (front desk, housekeeping and breakfast) who were all extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. Excellent location for 4 gals on heels and perfect for our needs. Would recommend for hen parties/weekend get togethers.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor overlooking the park so had nice views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah M
Dear Hannah M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your kind review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us, and our teams were able to look after you so well.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location, and you found your rooms clean and comfortable.

Thank you again Hannah, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hotel was rather disappointing - simply old and shabby. The room was average, bathroom as well and both in need of refurbishment. I was not impressed with the breakfast - only a cold buffet and warm food (eggs, bacon, etc) had to be ordered and waited for. The price I paid was ridiculous: £129 a night and it was a (large) group booking. Overall, I would not recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Irina I,

Thank you for your recent review posed on Tripadvisor. I was saddened to learn that you found our hotel disappointing over all. It is true that some areas of the hotel required some updating, and I am pleased to report that plans for a full refurbishment are already well underway.
I do however I must point out our hotel is decorated in a classical Georgian style, and we do not profess to be anything other.

At the commencement of this year we decided to abandon our hot breakfast buffet in favour of a cooked to order breakfast, including Full English, Kippers, Fresh Salmon, Eggs Benedict and much more. This helps to ensure its freshness, and encourages our guests to have a more interaction with our teams.

Over all, we believe these changes help facilitate a better breakfast experience. I am truly sorry that you have not found this to be the case.

Irina, Thank you once again for your review.

Thetford
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I am just back from a two night break, was a bit worried as I have read other reveiws, but was pleasantly surprised. The reception area and downstairs were nice and staff were all pleasant and polite. Our room although a bit dated and tired was clean, bed was comfy and nice sheets and towels. We were a bit chilly in our room dispite turning up the radiator as there was a draft blowing through the window, it has just been very cold. We had a nice meal in resturant but we were cold in there too. Great location would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Melanie R,
Thank you for the kind review posted on tripadvisor following your recent stay here at the University Arms. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed you two night break, and my team was able to look after you so well. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal and your room was clean and comfortable.

I will be sure to pass your sentiments on to our teams.
I was sorry to learn that you found your room a little chilly, it standard policy to check the temperature of all of our arrival room prior to our guest's arrival. I apologise unreservedly that this would have been over looked in your case.

Melanie R, thank you once again for taking the time to review us. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon.
Warms Regards

Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Yes, the bedrooms are a bit jaded (and the lighting dim) but the sheets were crisp and white, the pillows soft and the towels fluffy. The staff were really helpful and friendly and breakfast in the panelled ballroom was a treat.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Missive
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Massive,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that overall had a positive experience here at the University Arms.

I really do appreciate your kind sentiments in relation to our teams, and I will be sure to this pass along. I must confess that we pride ourselves on the service delivery of our front of house teams, and the dedication of our housekeeping team. I'm delighted this has been noticed.

Thank you once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
Warm regards

Grayslake, Il
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I booked this hotel largely on the centrality of its location in Cambridge and the recommendations on this site. I was looking for a basic, business-class hotel that allowed me to walk to the university, where I was doing some research. While the staff was all first rate, the room was below sub-standard. Outlets didn't work and the promised wi-fi was only available in the bar -- not my room. The bathroom was a patched up mess. It looked like nobody had put a dime into this room in 30 years. It was unacceptable. This seemed odd to me since the first floor looked like an English club with a lovely view of the park. I'm not sure what happened here, but management needs to invest some serious money to justify the nightly rate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank johnfw_13
Dear Johnfw_13

Thank you for your rent review, I'm both overwhelmed and gratified here the believe are staff to be "first rate".
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind sentiments.
It is true that some areas of our hotel are a little dated and awaiting refurbishment. I'm pleased confirm a refurbishment schedule is well under way; however we are still awaiting a date for completion.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend break. I'd seen the hotel when in Cambridge before and really wanted to stay here, although on reading the recent reviews I was a bit concerned.
I'd asked for a room in the old part facing the park.. Luckily I rang on the day to find this wasn't logged but they were able to give us that type of room at an extra £20 per night.So for 2 nights I paid nearly £300.
The room (214) was small and a bit dark due to the little inset balcony. It was traditionally decorated which made a nice change from the generic modern hotels,and clean (apart from the chair arms and net curtain). I was surprised to see, when on the balcony, that we were actually in the modern part, you can't really tell from the inside.I would have liked a bottle of water and a shower cap, which we've come to expect in hotels nowadays.
There was a conference on the first morning so breakfast was in the Newton Suite. We were seated next to a draughty window and asked to remain there until someone brought our tea and took our cooked food order. The tea was plonked down (without any milk) and no one came to take our order. After waiting for a while, we went individually to the breakfast buffet which continually ran out of items of food, plates, bowls etc. No one seemed to be keeping an eye on things, though they did quickly replenish when asked. We eventually asked a waitress for our full English breakfast which, when it arrived, was quite 'petite' (ok for me , but not enough for my husband).
The next morning in the Ballroom the breakfast buffet ran smoother generally.
I wouldn't stay here again as I feel it is poor value for money.

1 Thank KIM R
Dear, Kim R

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the University Arms. Naturally, where possible we try and accommodate as many of the numerous requests that we receive on a daily basis. I am pleased to hear that for a small supplement we were able to arrange this for you.

Having looked into your room allocation, I can confirm this was a Park view room, I appreciate that this room is not as large as some of our more modern accommodation offerings. With regards to the amenities in your bedroom this is something that we are constantly reviewing, and I have noted your comments for our next review.

Finally, regarding breakfast service on your first morning with us, this is disappointing to learn and I am truly sorry that you were kept waiting and that the service in general was not perhaps as smooth as it should have been.

Best wishes