“Best room in the house” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Arms Cambridge

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Gold coast
“Best room in the house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We had not pre- booked our Cambridge accommodation so took a chance on this hotel in spite of the reviews. It was our wedding anniversary holiday so I am sure that is why we got a wonderful room over looking the playing fields with a lovely comfortable bed and a bath with a view. it was a little expensive but all the hotels in Cambridge seemed to be in comparison to other parts of the country. The staff were helpful and the dining room full of old charm. The hotel could do with a little revamp but it does add to its charm. would recommend it to others but maybe ask to see the rooms first. Cambridge is a fantastic city and is now one of my favorites,

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank l0vetravel13
paul_wilkes, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear IOvetravel13

Thank you for your review.
Very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us on your wedding anniversary holiday and found our team to be helpful.

Cambridge is a fantastic city and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel is wonderfully located, which is its main attraction. The staff were friendly and helpful, the bar pleasant, and the breakfast decent. My room was just fine. The property is a bit old, as some reviewers have remarked, but although worn in spots is certainly not shabby. I enjoyed my stay, and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RenoBa
Dear RenoBa

Thank you for your review.
I agree the hotel has a great location.
Pleased our found the team to be friendly and helpful and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and Cambridge
Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

This hotel has been needing an upgrade for some time. Cambridge is such a busy city though that hotels are always busy which does not give some hotels the incentive to improve appearance or customer service. I was there to work so being put next to a low roof with very noisy kitchen fans was a major problem. They claimed they would go off at night -they did not. When I complained after the first night I got a 'sorry' and a shrug. I asked twice to speak to a duty manager and it did not happen. To add to the issues it took over an hour and a quarter to get a sandwich from room service. After six very disturbed nights I have canceled my next visit and booked a hotel where I can expect to be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay well away from any rooms around 131.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Examiner2010

The hotel does need a refurbishment and as previously stated in previous reviews development plans are going to be submitted for planning permission in July 2013.
We do have a Duty Manager on duty 24/7 and I would be very interested to ascertain who you spoke to and why you were not able to talk to one of our Duty Managers

I am very sorry you have decided not to use use again.

Please contact me on 01223 27300 so I can try and restore you faith in the hotel.

Paul G Wilkes

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Despite the reviews that the hotel needs a refurb, I booked a superior room for an Easter break and I was looking forward to staying in a four poster bed, as advertised on the website. We did not have a four poster bed in our room; instead we found a shabby double room. I rang reception to complain and spoke to a very rude receptionist who did not want to put me through to the manager (as he would agree with her) and hung up on me during the conversation. When the manager arrived at our room, he informed me that the website does not specify that a superior room includes a four poster bed. Obviously it was foolish of me to assume this when the room is advertised with a photo of a completely different room. There were no other superior rooms available and the manager would not offer us a reduction on our room. Eventually we were offered an upgrade to a twin room, which was slightly better. Breakfast was rather good, with a range of hot and cold options. There is an original 1920s cage lift in the lobby (installed by Otis himself) which is a nice novelty. I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel unless you have a spare 45 minutes to debate any complains with the hotel staff.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Not a good start when we arrived at the hotel as the ramp into the underground carpark was so high that we nearly grounded. Also when parked the access door to the reception was security locked. This was fine except that nobody answered the buzzer so we couldn't get in. We took our luggage back up the ramp to the reception area where there was an almighty row going on between a resident and the reception staff. We were then attended by another member of staff and told them we had been in the car park and nobody had answered the buzzer. They assured us that they were present all the time and that nobody had rung. We reiterated and when they checked they said the buzzer was not working!! Thank you, believed at last. Not a good first impression in more ways than one. However our room was clean and tidy although very dated and there were certain aspects that were not good - the lavatory pan had black stains in the base which could easily have been cleaned away with bleach, the shaver point did not work, the door frame was badly cracked and looked as though it had been forcibly broken to gain access and the grouting in the bathroom needed attention.
We were not looking for things to complain about as we were really looking forward to having a relaxing and pleasurable couple of days, but these things should have been picked up as general maintenance issues.
Our dinner on two nights in the restaurant was superb. The food was excellent, well presented and the staff were delightful. However the menu was small and repeated on both evenings. Breakfast was varied although if hot food was ordered it did arrive when we were still eating our cereals. We were not the only people this happened to and it did create a problem.
As a farewell we were overcharged twice on our bill.
Thank goodness the weather was lovely and we enjoyed Cambridge very much.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Maureen S

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry the car park buzzer did not work on your arrival.
The buzzer has now been replaced by our Maintenance Team.
Very pleased to read your room was clean, but dated and that you found your dinner in R17 restaurant to be superb.
I am sorry the team attempted to serve the freshly cooked breakfast before you had finished your cereals. We will discuss this point with our breakfast team at our weeklly meetings.
Very pleased you enjoyed the beautiful city of Cambridge.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The reception area and dining areas look half decent but was a little disappointed with the room. Felt like I'd been time warped back to the 1970's, really not sure who was left in charge of the interior design at this place but the rooms and corridors could do with some modernising. Neither of us slept particularly well on what appeared to be two poor quality single mattresses joined together but the room was clean and we were hardly in it.
Breakfast was good, the dining room has a great view and the hotel is well located with all the attractions being within walking distance. Parking was £16 per night.
I'd like to think there are better value rooms in Cambridge but maybe there isn't.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Dear Chris W

Thank you for your review.
Please you enjoyed our breakfast with the great vews over Parker Peace.
As explained in previous review our plans for a refurbismen have been completed, however I was unhappy that you did not sleep well due to the bed being uncomfortable.
We replace our beds on a regular basis and this should not have been the case.
I am not sure which bedroom you stayed in, but would be grateful if you could please advise me so I can arrange to change the beds.
My contact details are 01223 273000.

Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I really like this hotel but it does need a good refurbish as it can be a bit shabby around the edges. Staff are friendly and the breakfast is the most amazing I have ever had but it needs a good paint and fresh bathrooms put in!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Greli

Very pleased you really liked the hotel and found our team friendly.
Our breakfasts are well known and it was nice to read they were the most amazing you have had.
We have just competed our plans for a very substantial refurbishment which is going to be submitted for planning permission in July 2013.

Thank you again for your positive review.