“An excellent stay”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed 3 nights on a business trip. I've read other reports which say that it's old-world but that's in keeping with the building. In the rooms, the wallpaper and curtains aren't the latest trend but are in keeping with the style of the hotel. My room was comfortable, the bathroom spotlessly clean, complimentary toiletries provided, towels of high quality cotton. The bed was comfortable and the bedding also high quality. The room had TV, telephone, in-room safe, ironing board, a good supply of complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. You couldn't ask for any more.
The breakfast room is beautiful, very stylish and views over Parker's Piece give an excellent start to the working day. The buffet is more than adequate, hot beverages are brought to you freshly brewed and the main course (seven choices in all) is cooked to order. The food is fresh and that makes such a difference.
Every member of staff I spoke to was extremely polite and very helpful. The hotel states multi-lingual staff. Perhaps they would consider a badge (maybe a flag pin) to indicate which languages the staff speak.
This is by far the best Cambridge hotel I have stayed in. I'll use it again on future visits.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jan C
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear Jsalsera,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at the University Arms.

I am absolutely delighted if not somewhat embarrassed to read such a wonderful account of your stay with us. It is so very refreshing in today’s age to learn that all our efforts have been worthwhile and that our customers have enjoyed their time with us.

It is very much a team effort here at the University Arms and I have taken the liberty of sharing your views with all concerned. My team are equally delighted.

I do sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for University Arms Cambridge

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We had stayed here in 2012 and had nothing but good things to say about it. Sadly, this year things have changed. Although it is in a wonderful location - an easy walk to everywhere - we felt that there had been some drastic cost cutting. Prices had gone up considerably, our bathroom was not very clean - and plumbing a real issue - and the breakfast disappointing. Last year they offered a large buffet - plenty of hot choices. This time the buffet had been reduced to cereal, fruit, bread/pastries and cold meats. A hot breakfast could be ordered from a menu - but then arrived before we had finished our cereal; with no apology And, the coffee was warm rather than hot. We also found that some of the front of house staff were less than good at customer service - seemingly disinterested in anything we asked about.

On the plus side, our room (smallish) offered a beautiful view over Parker's Piece and the bed linen was crisp and soft. And, parking is available - which is a real plus.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Victora S,

Thank you for taking the time to review us following your stay here at the University Arms. I was saddened to learn that overall you felt your stay was disappointing.

It is very true that our breakfast offering has changed since 2012. We made the decision to retune cooked breakfasts to order as a way of ensuring both quality and freshness. This is by no means cost cutting; in fact this is a far more expansive way of delivering breakfast primarily in additional staffing cost. However, we still maintain the view that the right thing and the easiest are seldom the same.

I am also disappointed to read you feel that your bathroom was not cleaned to an appropriate standard. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and please rest assured I have already investigated this and corrective action is already in place to ensure no similar occurrence.

I am pleased you still enjoyed our central location, views across Parker’s Piece, parking facility and you found your bed to be comfortable.

I would be grateful if you would be kind enough to make yourself known to me upon your next visit, so that I may be afforded that opportunity of overseeing your stay personally.

Thanks you & best wishes,

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stopped over at the University Arms for just the one night for a conference in Cambridge and was very pleased with the hotel. The staff at the front of house were very polite and extremely helpful in recommending me a nice restaurant in the city. I was very happy with my room which was extremely smartly presented and importantly clean. The bed sheets were not your standard polycotton offering but had a lovely premium; crisp weight to them. My morning breakfast was great and just what I needed after a few Malibu's the previous evening! Should I return to Cambridge in the future I would not hesitate to return to the University Arms.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Dear UncleBen_72,
Thank you for your truly kind review recently posted on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you found our teams to polite and helpful. Thank you for noting our in room amenities being of a premium quality. Great effort is taken in their selection.

I remain pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast despite a few Malibu's the previous evening!

Thank you again UncleBen_72 and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University
Arms in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Firstly I was confused because the entrance to the hotel looks nothing like the photos on the website. There has been a very ugly, and now dated, extension built on Regent Street. However the foyer and public areas were beautiful, as was the dining room and bar. Our room had positives and negatives: it was a mini suite - a room with table, chairs and desk/dressing table, and separate bedroom. The bathroom was huge, but old fashioned. The bed was too soft for our taste, and the bedroom rather dark. The room had no outlook. The bathroom had lovely white fluffy towels and good quality toiletries, but old fashioned vinyl on the floor and a shower curtain instead of a screen. Also the window didn't close properly and there was a terrible draught! The breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice, good coffee, attentive service and a beutiful room overlooking Parker's Piece. We ate at R17, the modern restaurant attached to the hotel. The menu was ok, but the food proved delicious, and well presented. There was a special offer for residents. This was not applied correctly to our bill, but was quickly and efficiently sorted at reception when we checked out. The young man at reception was both friendly and helpful, giving us tips for visiting Ely. The barman provided excellent service also. Other staff were also good. I believe the hotel is to be refurbished soon. I hope they keep the period features downstairs, but the rooms could benefit from upgrading, especially the bathroom. That said, we liked the advantages of having a separate seating area, and there was loads of storage space in the room.

Room Tip: Our mini suite was number 340. Very quiet, but no outlook. There are refurbished deluxe rooms avail...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jacqulandjohn,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you found our public areas beautiful and our staff overall helpful and attentive. I am sorry to learn however that your window did not close properly causing a draught. I would like to point out that we have Duty Manager on call 24/7 who would have been able to contact our engineering team who would have been able to resolve this for you.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings both at breakfast and dinner. Our Chef's teams take exceptional pride in both food quality and presentation. I appreciate you noting this.

The young gentleman you refer to as being friendly and helpful in giving you tips for visiting Ely was our receptionist Mr Thomas Howard. Please rest assured I will be amongst the first to pass on my thanks and congratulations.

I note your comments in relation to our upcoming refurb. I am very pleased to confirm that final plans will be submitted in July awaiting approval from local Government. You will find further information pertaining to our plans on the University Arms Facebook page.

Many thanks for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel. The outside has had a makeover in the 60's. It is dreadful, but don't let that put you off. The beautiful reception, circular waiting area/dining room and best of all the breakfast room hark back to the early 1900's. The huge breakfast room is an absolutely beautiful timbered room, which was once used as a ballroom. They play light classical music at breakfast which is such a pleasure, after the muszak of some other establishments I have visited. There was a constant noise in our bathroom, which I think may have been an internal wall fan. There was no problem, if you closed the bathroom door. Room was spacious with a view of Parker's Piece. The view was a joy.
Downside: having to pay 16 pounds a day for parking in their undercover area. A bit rich!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Parker's Piece.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Virginla096

Thank you for your kind review, following you recent stay with us at the University Arms. I am truly delighted that you enjoyed the hotels period futures, and over all your stay was a pleasurable one.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Shaun R
paul_wilkes, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Reviewed 2 June 2013

One of the best hotels in cambs, its a stunning building and I had a great view overlooking parkers piece. It was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I've stopped in 4* hotels before in london and this one is definatly my favourite so far. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
paul_wilkes, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear ash_holmes

Thank you for your wonderful review, very pleased you enjoyed your stay and found are staff very friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms.