“Central and convenient”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This hotel has wonderful staff who could not do enough to help. The public rooms are superb, especially the breakfast room, which looks out over Parker's Piece. Breakfast is very good though slightly expensive. The menu is quite varied and cooked to order so unlike many hotels there is no series of dishes of pre cooked and warmed food waiting to be used. Food cooked to order is a much better system. The buffet for cold food such as cereal is reasonable and I quite like the idea of making your own muesli from the bowls of oats various fruits etc.

The dining room for evening meals is a different room but the menu here is not particularly inspiring and does not seem to change very often, which would be a great shame if one was eating in the hotel over several days.

The public corridors have a series of prints of what look like impressionistic continental landscapes which are very pleasant.

My room was a single and though clean and tidy had rather tired decor. The television was quite large for the size of room and was provided with Freeview and some sky sports channels. The single room had no view as it opened onto a internal courtyard - this was no problem to me as I was in Cambridge on business but if on holiday alone - I would have been disappointed. The bathroom was spacious with a bath with shower over etc. It was easy to control the shower and of course it was a powerful spray.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear makeshoilday

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review following your stay here at the University Arms Cambridge.

I appreciate your kind comments with relation to our staff "who could not do enough to help".

I remain delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed for one night and I wasn't impressed. The rooms are dated and the breakfast service was terrible. I had to ask 3 times about getting a cup of tea. When I spoke to staff they didn't understand my English. location is a plus, near the shops ,restaurants and all the site seeing colleges. I am a light sleeper so for me, being on a main road opposite a pub and a huge park next door wasn't great I was woken up to kids on the park and pubs kicking out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank L4ur4852
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I am very often are on business trips in Cambridge. We have our favourite hotel, but graduation week in Cambridge, all hotels booked out, the only one left with availabilities was University Arms. Now, we know why. The room was tiny (maybe for a 5 year old), shabby, run down. The temperature in the room made me think I am somewhere in the Antarctis. Mind you this is late June (a couple of days ago) and without air-conditioning. My colleague tried his bed in another room and he hed the feeling he was swimming in the Atlantic. Sorry, I have no feedback on breakfast because I have never left a hotel faster than this time. "The only redeeming feature was the friendly efficient service from the reception staff" (Thank you "ebearLondon" for providing this quote). They cancelled our booking without additional cost and upon our request they booked for us in another hotel, within walking distance. Reading the recent reviews available at tripadvisor, I know I do not stand alone.

Dear Rafaela P

I am disappointed that you did not find your room to your liking. However, I must point out that you did book a standard single room. Owing to the hotel being fully booked that was the only room available. I realise that our standard single rooms are small; I feel that this is reflective in the rates offered.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments with relation to our Front of House team being friendly and efficient. I was pleased to learn that when you reported to my team you wished to be booked into a larger room, they did all in their power to assist with alternative accommodation.

Best Wishes

Operations Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for 2 nights with a group of colleagues to attend a conference.
This hotel could be so good - historic building and good location as most of Cambridge is only a hop skip away.
If a good night's sleep is high on your list of priorities, then you've come to the wrong place.
If you are allocated a room on the Regent Str side of the hotel, expect to be kept awake by students partying and shouting in the street until about 3am. Then at 5am you'll have the pleasure of the recycling dumptruck pulling up beneath your window and dumping skip loads of glass bottles.

Managed to get released from work duties in the afternoon to attempt to catch up on some sleep, only to be awoken by the house-keeper at 4pm. Then dozed off for 5mins only to be awoken by a man in a suit checking if everything was alright!!!
When I later complained to reception about the overall sleep quality, I was met with a "oops sorry, actually others have complained about the same thing"...really?!!

It's disgraceful that you charge the full rate to sleep in those front rooms.

My patronage will definitely be going elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: June 2013
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Speeddemons,

Thank you for posting your recent review. I apologise profusely for the obvious disruption caused to you during your brief stay. Unfortunately, being a city centre hotel over the graduation period can present all of the population of Cambridge certain challenges. Most notably of which would be the noise. Please understand that unfortunately this is something outside of our control as of course our streets will be filled with recently graduated students celebrating the conclusion of their academic lives.

I also note your comments in relation to local council clean up operations. I would like to assure you that we work closely with Cambridge City Council in order to keep disruptions to these vital works to a minimum.

I am sorry that our housekeeping department woke you from your sleep in the middle of the afternoon. The question I would ask, is did you place the 'Do Not Disturb sign on your door? We here have a very strict policy on do not disturbs and I am confident that should this sign have been placed, you would not have been disturbed.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I visit Cambridge often and have stayed at the University Arms Hotel on a number of occasions. In the past we have been satisfied with the hotel although the rooms are a little jaded and those overlooking the street can be noisy during the night. Our most enjoyable experience used to be the buffet breakfast but on this occasion the service was appalling. Not permitted a choice of table from the many empty, no dishes brought out for fruit or cereal, tiny pot of coffee for two with milk forgotten, four requests for more coffee acknowledged but without result. The only redeeming feature was the friendly efficient service from the reception staff.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park are OK. Those overlooking the street can be noisy at night.

Dear Ebearlondon,

Thank you for your recent review. I was most concerned in reading it and I apologise unreservedly for our team's clearly being overzealous on delivering your cooked breakfast. It is true that we have moved away from cooked buffet breakfast. This is to ensure both quality and freshness which so often cannot be provided by a simple buffet. I note that you were not provided with a choice of table. I can only deduce that any vacant table you speak of had not yet been completely re-laid.

I also note your comments with respect to outside noise. Over graduation, our city can become exceptionally busy, particularly with student late night revellers of course celebrating their exam results. I apologise for the obvious disruption this may cause. However, this is something completely outside of our control being a city centre hotel and something of a landmark.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed here before I was very disappointed this time with the room.
Previously rooms have been 'tired' but clean and spacious.
This time I was in a small double with little room to work.
The furnishings were worn and the carpet had visible holes - see photo.
I was staying three nights and the room had obviously not be vacuumed during my stay, I found long black hairs on my bed and on the floor the second day, definitely not mine.
The bed was clean and comfortable but the room overlooked the back of the hotel and a very loud heating/fan/air conditioning system that continued till late and woke me with a start at 5.00 each morning.
I believe some rooms are much better but as I was booked in, as many of us were, for business meetings we were given the worst of the rooms.
One colleague complained about his room and was told they couldn't move him - so I didn't bother. On the whole we were made to feel like second class guests.

Dear Ebearlondon,

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We got this booking through lastminute's "secret deal" - what a disaster.
The carpets are torn and stuck together with gaffer tape.
The sink was cracked and dirty and did not drain.
The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and dirty.
The wallpaper was stained and torn.
The paintwork to the units in the bedroom was badly worn and chipped.

At breakfast, after a long wait, they delivered the wrong order and only one dish for two people. We did not have time to re-order and the manager then tried to negotiate a "reduced price" despite the fact that we had eaten next to nothing.

I have attached pictures as it is often better to see for yourself to understand just how bad it is.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gilescampbell,

Thank you for your comments. I am aware that a copy of this review as already been forwarded to the hotel and myself and our General Manager have already tried to contact you to discuss it further.