“Good location”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We loved the crisp white cotton bed linen, feather pillows, fluffy white bath sheets and comfortable bed. We also appreciated a clean and comfortable room/bathroom with a view over the park - requested in advance, if one was available. If you like super modern rooms and gadgets, you might like an alternative location, but we are happy with 'character'. Ours was a Groupon priced visit and we were very satisfied. Fresh milk for our ensuite drinks when requested too. Plenty offered for breakfast, and helpful staff attending.
The location is excellent and we were able to walk to many interesting areas; and across the road, outside John Lewis, was the sightseeing Stagecoach busstop - always worth using in a new place, and really good value.

Room Tip: Room 310 overlooked the park, there were a few revellers quite late and the refuse collection starts...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Bath47,
Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms overlooking the Parkers' Piece. I am certainly pleased that we were able to accommodate this request.

Thank you for noting our character and pointing out that our teams are both helpful and attentive.
Thank you once again for your review and I remain delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you where able to take advantage of our latest Sunday night offering.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Quigley's Point, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights excellent service lovely staff the rooms are a bit dated but it suits the surroundings and is very clean and well maintained , loved the lift really old fashioned with a pull across door :-)
Breakfast was also very good a full English plus croissants toast fruit cereals tea coffe and juices waiting staff very attentive

This was our first visit to cambridge we went there fir my Bruce's wedding she got married at Christs college a beautiful place

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear annie1960,

Thank you so much for your kind review following your visit to the University Arms Hotel. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our teams to deliver "Excellent Service".

I hope that sometime in the near future I will be afforded the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a night after a Summer programme.If you are looking for a classic english style hotel of the yesteryear,this hotel is for you,however do note that this hotel is run-down.In fact my room was very small,with a view of the air conditioners(no real view!).Service staff were business-friendly.Found this hotel overpriced for its facilities.The only redeeming factors are its breakfast and very vintage feel.Frankly though,there are a couple of hotels elsewhere that are worth a consideration if the pricing is similar.For the youth and couples,I would strongly recommend a stay at the College rooms instead.Overall,this is not a bad Hotel,but I feel it just does not live up to its price and value.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking Parkers Piece.(Its a large field)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear glennrajoo,

Thank you for your recent post. It is true that some areas of our hotel require an update and I am pleased for the opportunity to inform you that these plans are already well underway.

I am also grateful for the opportunity to point out that we conduct regular market research, in order to ensure that our prices are in line with our competitors. I am sorry that you feel that some of our rates are overpriced. However, as you quite rightly pointed out in your opening appraisal we are both classic and traditional.

Thank you again for your feedback.

sydney
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is a great hotel for the location it is very central to all the must see sites in Cambridge! They have a car park for your car which is great at 16 pounds a day! The rooms really need a serious update, the bathroom shower leaked all over the floor making a real mess! The room was a comfy but a bit outdated, the bedside lights shades were broken and flopping around, the staff were really nice especially William, he was very helpful indeed! The bed was very comfy a queen size only so that was great!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelsSydney
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear AngelSydney

Thank you for posting your recent review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location. I really do appreciate our teams and thank you for naming William personally and please rest assured I will be amongst the first to pass on both my thanks and congratulations. It is true that some of our rooms require updating, plans for refurbishment are well under way.

Mijas, Spain
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Nicely situated overlooking a cricket pitch named "Parker's Pieces" and with easy access to the sights of Cambridge, this is a convenient hotel. The service is courteous and efficient. Breakfast is served in the Ballroom with a choice of the usual buffet as well as varied cooked dishes. The beds are very comfortable and bathrooms adequate, but frankly, I think they could do with a refurb! For some reason we had no mini-bar! The prices vary according to the season and capacity, but our friends were offered a massive reduction as soon as they booked - but for the next visit. My daughter, booking three rooms managed to negotiate a reduction - so always worth a try. A very pleasant visit!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Globetrottingtech

Thank you so much for your truly kind review, I am delighted that you had a pleasant visit. I am pleased that you found our teams to be courteous and efficient and you enjoyed the breakfast in our ballroom. You are quite correct that come areas of our hotel require some investment and I am pleased to inform you that these are well on the way.

Worcester, England
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

The stock publicity shot for the hotel shows a large classic looking building behind a huge lawn, the dreaming spires of Cambridge personified. The actual approach to the hotel is via a busy street where you are confronted with a 70's steel, glass and concrete facade.

Entering the building is like taking a step back in time, dark wood, a classic long reception desk and dark leather chesterfields sitting in front of numerous framed pictures of people and places from another era.

The public areas are clean, tidy and have little evidence of chips and scratches. The ancient lift has a kind of charm, for visitors to the UK probably living proof that the UK is a huge theme park.

Our room had all the right components, TV, safe, iron, tea making facilities but it lacked any kind of style or I should say the style was seriously outdated. The air con unit box which sat under the window was large, noisy and ineffective making the room hot during the night.

The room overlooked the huge lawn area which plenty of people made great use of to socialise very late into the night and onto the early morning. One of our neighbours seemed to not appreciate the singing at three am and invited the people to shut the [--] up quite loudly. I am not sure he quite thought through the intervention as instead of refraining from further melodies the singers took the comments to be a challenge to sing louder and longer.

Breakfast was a mix of cold buffet and hot ordered items. I felt the restaurant was undermanned by 2-3 people. Elements of the buffet ran out briefly, hot drinks slow and my pet hate dirty plates swept to the side of the room and left in plain sight piling up.

The one thing the hotel does get right is the attitude of the staff who are attentive (as best they can be), engaging and polite.

The University Arms is in need of significant investment to bring it up to date. A friend told me not to expect too much, he was right.

I would not not stay here again, but I think I would explore other options first.

Last point....the hotel is very well located, has some but limited car parking.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Ladysmithjack

Thank you very much for your detailed review and finding the time to post it. I am absolute delighted that you found our staff to be attentive, engaging and polite. You are quite right that some areas of the hotel require updating and I appreciate the opportunity to point out that planning permission for an extremely comprehensive refurbishment program is already well under way and please rest assured this will deal with the 70s steal glass façade that you speak of.

Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I've stayed here several times over the years when I've visited Cambridge on business. I love eating my breakfast in the dining room which overlooks Parker's Piece. There's a plenty of choice for breakfast, good range of cereals, fruits etc and a filling cooked breakfast
Staff are always friendly.
I've always had a very pleasant room, furnishings are a bit outdated and tired, but always clean.
The antique lift doesn't always work, but the modern alternative is ok.
Location is right in the heart of Cambridge, ideal for theatre, river and restaurants

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Regent Street can be noisy at weekends
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jan295

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the University Arms Hotel. I am delighted that you found your room to be very pleasant, our staff always friendly and you loved breakfast. Thank you very much once again, we look forward to welcoming you again in the hotel in the future.