“Good hotel in central location”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a busy Saturday night in Cambridge after visiting the Corn Exchange. The location was excellent and the hotel good. Friendly staff, large comfortable bed, hot breakfast cooked individually. Safe and tea and coffee making facilities. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Many thanks for the positive feedback,

All feedback whether positive or negative assist us in developing a strong product and training basis.

I am glad you found the service/staff to standard and the bed comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was at university in Cambidge in the 1980's and remember this hotel as being the sort of place where parents would stay to see their offspring graduate. Unfortunately the room I had was last refurbished in the 1980's, and although the bed was comfy, the heating didn't seem to work properly and the decor made me think I was in my granny's back bedroom. The bathroom was dire with so many layers of over-tiling round the bath you could barely get in it.
On the plus side it's handy for town, has its own (small) carpark and the staff were friendly if not that well trained.

Room Tip: Try and get a refurbished room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cloud9leeds
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Many thanks for the correspondence and review of your recent stay with us at the hotel.

It is true that the hotel in some parts does play true to the era of the late 70s and early 80s, and that certain parts have seen there bygone days, as mentioned in previous reviews as of late, I am delight to be able to let you know that, just over 2 weeks ago the local authority has passed planning permissions for the refurbishment of the hotel. Which will take into account the redesign of the areas of the hotel that are more dated than others?

Once again many thanks for your comments raised and if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to let me know direct.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

On reading some negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised on staying at the University Arms hotel. It is a true historically, elegant, English hotel. The main reception room with the beautiful chandelier and grand piano is a lovely place to sit and relax with a coffee. The bar and restaurant are also relaxing places to enjoy. The breakfast was one of the best of any where with hot food cooked fresh when ordered, not a buffet style. The bedroom my husband and I were in had a super king size bed, a little seating area up some stairs and a refurbished bathroom. It was also a lovely warm room in November. It was great to be close to the shops in the Grand Arcade which is a very stylish area. The staff in all areas were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, as always comments whether positive or negative allow us to build a portfolio of requests and training plans.

I am glad that you found the bedroom comfy, and that the King-size bed was to your satisfaction, we do offer many ranges of bedroom size from single to the more sumptuous king-size over looking Parkers Piece.

The main reception is an area we are renowned for the elegance of the grand to the chandeliers, and our signature breakfast that is as renowned to its lovers as our staff are for there service standards.

Once again I thank you for your words and look forward to seeing you in the near future

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Attended a meeting at this hotel. The outside of the building is dire, but the main reception and foyer are much nicer. The ballroom (where lunch was served) and the conference rooms are fine, too. Lunch was okay, but nothing great. Despite the meeting being quite large (i.e. there were many of us attending), hot water (for tea) and coffee had to be replenished frequently, as inadequate amounts were put out in the first place. When a colleague asked one of the staff whether what she was putting out was hot water or coffee, the member of staff simply pointed to the sign on the table and said "it says there". Some further training on how to converse with customers wouldn't go amiss. On a plus note, the public toilets in the hotel are good - with good quality toiletries for you to use. I didn't stay at the hotel (as I had read too many negative comments to give it a try, and the recent fire certainly put me off).

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your comments raised.

May I firstly ensure you that the issues that were regarding the recent fire at the hotel, were dealt with in accordance to company policy.

I am glad you found the facilities’ to your satisfactory, just to make you aware the reason we keep a regular flow of the beverages, is to ensure we offer the best service available by ensuring all our products are served at there optimum.

Regarding the staff, I have spoken with the relevant heads of department, to ensure if there are communication barriers i.e. language that we do have amble staffing to ensure this issue is minmialised.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I hope that I have been able to answer any queries you may of had.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I visited Cambridge for business last week and I decided to stay at University Arms hotel due to the fact that it is located in the city center and I was not disappointed at all. The hotel as a whole was quite old fashioned, but my room was bigger than expected and was recently renovated! The location of the hotel is more than great, since it's in walking distance of all bars, restaurants etc. I will stay here again when I'm back in Cambridge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

May I thank you for your correpsondence and review.

It is true that the fabric of the hotel has since seen times when the decor was trendy, and that rest asured the rooms are clean and of a standard required by the business guest, I am pleased that you found the room larger than anticipated, and that you found the location ideal.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Room 206 Friday November 15th

OK, lets get the good things out of the way first.

This hotel is incredibly handy for Cambridge City Centre. You can stumble out of the front door, hang a right and you are about 2 mins walk away from the shops.

Now the grumbles.

No early check in available; This hotel lets you check in at 3pm. I had asked specifically for an early check in (1.30pm) but they could not accommodate. This was a pain as I had a meeting at 2.00pm and wasn't able to check in until afterwards (4.00pm) and a group of guests who were in front of me had just come from the airport and were unable to check in a freshen up. Surely some sort of accommodation can be made for a few early check ins at 1.30pm onwards?

Car Park = £16.00 for a night. Really?

Room. #206 had an air of better days about it. The bathroom, whilst clean, could have done with a few new fittings and a good scrub with a mould deterrent. Nice drawer for the hair dryer which was nicely labelled "hair dryer". Sadly for terms of accuracy there was no hair dryer included.

The biggest problem about this room (apart from the mattress which had the sturdiness and support of a water bed on a bouncy castle) was the fact that it overlooked Regent Street. By day this is one of the main commercial streets but by night it is the centre of the Cambridge "Late Night" Party scene. There are several bars and clubs which have 2pm+ extensions and when the crowd comes out they don't want to go home either quietly or quickly. I got to sleep about 3.30am

Room service. Very limited after midnight (couldn't sleep, see above) and settled for a chicken mayo on white with salad and chips. The chips I discovered where Cheese Biscuits rather than "French fries" and it took some stern words the next morning to ensure a slight discount in the charge "well you DID eat the sandwich sir!", "yes, but it wasn't what I bloody well ordered, it turned up late and I was starving hungry..."

All in all I was charged £120+ for a night of no sleep in an average room (no breakfast included), a very simple sandwich and somewhere to park the car. Sadly this seems to be standard for Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't overlook Regent Street. Or ear-plugs
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

May I thank you for your feedback regarding you recent visit with us at the hotel, and as mentioned in previous replies, all feedback whether positive or negative in the future development of the hotel, in standards and structure.

Our check in time is set as a standard to ensure that the majority of the rooms that have been departed from are available at that time 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to give base continuity; this does depend on the business levels from the previous day, and we do our upmost wherever possible to meet the guests requests, but as mentioned this does depend on the availability and previous departs. This also goes in-line with large groups that do check in from over seas, but many times the information we receive has little detail with regard to these needs, again we do our upmost to ensure that we are able to assist depending on the level of business.
Having said this, it all depends on the day of the week and the occupancy levels which all have to be taken in to account, as we have more family rooms at weekends, which means rooms have a more in depth configuration, and takes away what we may be able to offer Monday to Thursday.
Having read that there was no hair drier in the room, I have implemented where required new training and room checks to assist in ensuring this does not happen in the future. Having been to the room to investigate the mention of ‘mould’, I was concerned as a 4 star hotel this we would not tolerate, but upon my investigation I noted that it is where the silicon and sealant have become discoloured, and will be replaced now that the refurbishment project has been grant.

Please accept my personal apologises for you receiving a disturbed nights sleep, being in a thriving district of the city centre, we work with the local authorities and police to ensure that the noise levels from surrounding areas is minimal, and to report if not.

The car parking in the hotel car park is in line, and in many cases below the average of similar properties or car parks, in the area, as parking is at a premium in the centre. The £16 is £9 cheaper than the nearest public car park; the only downside is that the hotel does have limited spaces.

Having looked in detail at the room service you received, we do operate a minimal service due to health and safety to ensure we are compliant, and due to not receiving a high volume of requests, thus this ensures we minimalize unnecessary H&S issues as well as waste. Having said this I was concerned by the mention of chips, because we do not offer them on the room service menu, as this is in line with our current health and safety risk assessment, also I was concerned that a member of the night team offered them, but upon my investigation I was able to source that this was a lingual issues, as here in the UK we call crisps, crisps, but on the continent they are classified as chips, as we have a large European staff population this had been overlooked. Going forward new starters and present staff are aware of the different classifications of these products, so going forward this is eliminated.

I do hope I have been able to answer some of your comments raised and if I can assist further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

So, perhaps being located beside Parker's Piece where rowdy groups congregate is not the fault of the hotel, but it does make an early night challenging. Other than that, the parking fee is extortionate and the rooms are at best dated, although the beds are comfortable. The major bonus for me is that this is one of the best breakfast venues in Cambridge - the quality of the food and also the views are spectacular. Also, the staff are exceptionally helpful - I just get the feeling that a little modernisation would help greatly.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

On the positive thank you for the kind words regarding the breakfast and staff that you encountered, as this is a key area that we pride ourselves, as the breakfast and the staff are usually the most lasting memory guests have of a stay in any establishment. Your feedback has been passed to the relevant members of the team, and I am glad that to accompany this you found the beds of a suitable standard for rest.

Regarding the building it is true that certain areas, do not have a modern trend in their appearance, but as I am sure you are aware from my past review responses in the last few weeks, that we are pleased to announce that after a detailed planning application was submitted to the local authorities for refurbishments, that this has been passed, which will see the hotel enter the next phase of it’s development.

The hotel as you are aware is a thriving district of the city centre, and we work with the local authorities and police to ensure that the noise levels from surrounding areas is minimal, and to report if not.

I thank you for your review, and hope my reply has answered any queries you may have encountered.