“poor quality rooms again”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I believe that this hotel can get away without refurbishing its rooms because of the lack of hotel rooms in Cambridge. Our rooms were of poor quality again (2 out of the 3) we had booked for a one night stay visiting family for a Christmas dinner at the hotel. The service, however, was excellent. We had outstanding service in the restaurant where 17 of us has a lovely family meal. Please refurbish the majority of your rooms University Arms!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Acciano

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very pleased you found the R17 restaurant outstanding and you had a lovely family meal which is so important over the Christmas period.

I am pleased to advise you that a major re-development programme has been approved by our owners and the work is scheduled to take place in 2014.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have just returned from a one night break, and I found this hotel to be one of the best I have stayed in this year (and there have been many!) The staff, especially reception, were excellent. The room very clean and the bed very comfortable. We were travelling with friends and occupied rooms 200 & 201. I don't know whether they were the refurbished ones or not, but they were fine. We will definitely stay again. I do not understand why reviewers have complained about road noise. When staying in a city centre, what do you expect!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guest

May I thank you for your feedback regarding you recent stay with us at the hotel, I am delight that your friends and yourself had an enjoyable stay, and found the services of the hotel of a standard acceptable.

Regarding the bedrooms we do have areas of the hotel, that have been recently refurbished and others where this is on the agenda, but we do pride ourselves on there standard of cleanliness in our rooms as you have observed.

It is true that we are in the centre of the city and that depending on the days of the week the noise levels in the area fluctuate, as we are on the main thorough fayre we do work closely with other businesses and local authorities to ensure that surrounding noise levels are reported where required.

Once again I am delighted you stayed with us and are looking to stay again with us in the future, we all look forward to receiving you.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Spent last weekend here as a much needed break for my husband and I. Tears were my first reaction when we saw our room which was pokey and falling to bits. We were transferred to a room overlooking park with 4 poster bed at no extra charge. I was woken in early hours by a fight outside our window which was not good to hear. Parking 16 ponds per night. Breakfast 10 pp which was lukewarm. The positive aspects were location. Hotel staff very friendly but felt they did not dress very nicely perhaps a uniform provided by the hotel may give a better first impression. Sorry not very positive. Would not return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Littlemac01

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding you recent stay with us a the hotel.

I was saddened to learn that the room upon your arrival was not to a standard expected, but delighted we were able to offer an upgraded room at no additional cost, we do our upmost to ensure where possible we can go that extra step to ensure we meet and go above patrons expectations, and on this occasion as mentioned i was delighted we were able to assist in this manner.

Regarding you being woken in the early hours, I am sorry the incident disturbed your rest quality, being in a city centre location in the middle of one of the countries largest student city, we are unable to police the exterior of the building, but we have a working relationship with local businesses, environmental services and police to report any disturbances or unacceptable noise levels, and the authorities and police assist with moving them from the area.

The hotel parking of £16.00 for over night parking which includes the time from 2pm till 11am and £8.00 for 8 hours during the day time, is in line with other local hotels and the over night charges are very favourable compared to local public car parking.

Regarding the breakfast I am sorry you found this not as hot as you would have liked, this has been addressed and passed to the relevant departments. With you not mentioning whether you had room service or not, would have allowed me to investigate further as I am sure you are aware that even though room service breakfasts are sent immediately and covered, any time delay will result in a temperature reduction.

I am delighted you found the staff of a friendly attitude, regarding the uniforms, this slightly baffled me as all departments have there slight different dress code for example food and beverage black shirts/blouses , ties and trousers/skirts, conference and banqueting white shirts/blouses and black trousers/skirts, to distinguish between the different hotel sectors. If you are able to inform me further of the issues you noted with the dress code, I would be delighted to assist where I possibly can.

It is a shame you mention that you will not staying with us in the future, but I would be delighted if you are in the area to meet with you and assist where I possibly can to show you that we are a hotel for repeat guests.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

It really does seem we must have stayed at a different hotel from recent reviewers!

We treated ourselves to two nights here so that we could attend the King's College service on Christmas Eve, and upgraded to a superior room. We arrived early (before 9:30am) on the 23rd and drove into a virtually empty underground car park. At reception we were offered our room immediately, which meant we were unpacked and having a first coffee in Cambridge by 10:15. Our room was on the first floor, overlooking the street. It was modern in decor, all the furniture looked new, the giant bed had immaculate linen, the up-to-date bathroom had towels as soft as your grannie's victoria sponge and our radiator was hot but silent. It gets 5*. We both slept all night long on both nights, being woken at about 7:00am on Christmas Day not by drunks but by a street cleaning machine!

Our room service breakfast on the 24th was on time (6:00am) but a little hit & miss - the form specified breakfast for 2 people but only one glass of orange and one bowl of muesli appeared. We shared these, as we were in a hurry; the quality of the coffee and croissants was good. On Christmas Day we ate breakfast in the ballroom - no complaints at all.

On the first afternoon six members of our family (including 4 young children) were welcomed in the main lounge, where we were served tea for 2, wine for 2, jugs of iced water for the children (complete with small "dumpy" glasses) and a plate of tiny mince pies - perfect.

We had dinner on both evenings in Restaurant 17. This also gets 5* - beautifully cooked, imaginative food served in a friendly but very professional manner.

Perhaps we were lucky to be a group of two rather than part of a large party, to have no need of wi-fi and to be staying so near to Christmas. For us, the whole experience was truly enjoyable and we are already thinking of repeating it next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished one - ours was in the modern part (which is an ugly blob!) but you don't l...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Many Thanks for your review from your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am glad you found the hotel to your satisfaction, with regard to the early check-in; we do attempt to conduct guest’s wishes where visible.
The hotel was the night previous was quieter than normal hence you where able to arrive earlier than normal.
The hotel has a mixture of types of rooms from singles with baths to King-size zip and link, and again the décor in certain areas is similar.
Being a family environment I am glad you found the team spirited and desalted with your requests regarding the younger members of the group.

Overall I thank you for the positive comments raised and as mentioned in the past all feedback back positive and negative assists in our development of the teams training structure.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

service was excellent. Food in restaurant was great.
cooked breakfast was great start to day.
Easy walking distance of shops and cinema and restaurants.
Will definitely visit again. Green/park right outside hotel with good views.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for a wedding we were attending, the central location, whilst having its downsides, was really it's only selling point and we were overall very disappointed. Whilst the hotel as you see it on the website is very attractive, the entrance and road side approach is more akin to a 60's block of flats or an estate high rise.

Our issues began with parking, the lower car parking is horrendous, my car ground out on entering and had we had a large saloon or estate I am not sure we could have manoeuvred let alone park in what is a very tight space. First impressions were further lowered as we weaved our way through a large group of smokers and drunks to get through the reception door. A 'polite' drunk did hold the door open for us, but promptly ogled my wife as we passed. At this point I'm wondering where on earth my wife had booked. It got a bit better better from here, and check in was swift and pleasant enough, the young girl behind the counter was polite and efficient and we were turned around and on the way to our room within in 5 mins.

The room itself was a reasonable size and clean enough, but the decor had seen better days with much of the large furniture scuffed and worn to an excessive degree. The bathroom, whilst visually clean, did smell of damp, possibly from the shower which, despite being turned down and our best efforts, easily cleared the short shower screen, drenching the floor after each shower causing a slip hazard. The bed was actually a good size and comfortable with clean linen and a choice of pillows. Unfortunately the room was so stuffy and hot, even in December with all heating off, it was very difficult to sleep. Opening the window overnight was not an option due to the external street noise, swearing, death threats and general fighting was the norm till some time around 4am.

We decided on room service for the first morning, a choice we we would regret. We overlooked the fact our hot food choices were ignored, but unfortunately the toast was cold and came with no butter, the cooked breakfast whilst warm, came with no sauces and the cereals came without milk. After two tries at calling, reception answered and promptly sent fresh milk, but still no sauces. By this time I abandoned the now cold cooked food and settled for the cereal.

On returning on the second night, we again tackled the crowd of drunks and smokers to be greeted in reception by tables of uncleared empty and half finished bottles and glasses.

Despite the comfy bed and clean linen, I could not recommend this hotel and was glad to leave.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeddingCrasher2

Dear Sir

Many thanks for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel.

As I am sure you aware we are in the centre of a thriving city guest and n the main thorough fare going from one side of the city to other, and also the time of the year being festive, we have large events held at the hotel during the party season, hence upon your arrival you meeting a large group of patrons smoking in the designated smoking area.
Being in the location we are we have looked at all possible alternatives regarding the patrons of one of our events smoking areas, this has been assisted with respect to the local planning authorities allowing us to undertake furbishment works.

I am glad that you found the cleanliness and bed and being satisfactory, as mentioned bathrooms will be addressed where needed in the development going forwarding.

The issue with respect to you breakfast I have taken on bard personally and looked in to and dealt with accordingly whether retraining or company diplomacy actions where needed.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Came here as a large party of work colleagues for our Christmas night out. The company had booked out most of the rooms in the hotel and also a function suite for a 3 course meal. We had a 3 course Christmas dinner. I had soup to start and it was cold and bland. The main of Turkey was dry and the veg was very hard. I didn't bother eating the desert as the other 2 courses were poor. The drinks were also very expensive.

All in all I think that this hotel is poor quality on both the rooms and the restaraunt. My company paid thousands of pounds to this hotel and I believe that we deserved a much better experience as the rooms and decor are very dated. I stayed in the best western the next night and that is a fabulous hotel I would recommend. I would never stay or eat in this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stuartboyd85

Many Thanks for your review from your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am saddened that you found your experience with us at the hotel unsatisfactory, and was quite shocked your comments regarding the meal, as having served over 4100 this year we have received a most favourable response from many of and patrons.

Having said this you views have been duly noted and passed to the team, if the issues you have raised had been brought to my attention upon the evening or following, I would have been delighted to assist with any quires you may have had.