“Filthy and cheap”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I booked a romantic trip for myself and my partner on Lastminute.com through part of their secret escapes packages. I was expecting 4* luxury, but can honestly say we'd have been cleaner sleeping in the hotel car park.
Someone in the room before us had obviously taken the chance to treat themselves to a full body trim in the confines of the smallest bathroom i have ever seen. Pubic hair had managed to make it into the 'fresh bedding' the sink and even one of the two tea cups on the side.

The carpet in the room is held down with generous amounts of duct tape, and the finish of the hotel has really deteriorated since it was decorated -presumably sometime 30years + ago.
every item was very much on its last legs.

Woken up by the cleaning staff practicing their door slamming skills from the hours of 8am till we lost the use of our ears (somewhere around 9.30)
The breakfast was very obviously cheap, and came with a side of flies and bad attitude.

absolute rip off
would not price the entire trip over £40 for two.

Very disappointed.
avoid
avoid
avoid.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brad d
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear guest thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Again we visited this lovely hotel First time we have spent Christmas and New period and we were not disappointed. Every member of staff did their utmost to ensure we had a great stay . This hotel is about to undergo refurbishment but that aside you could not fail to see the enthusiasm from all staff members to make one's stay memorable..Our Christmas Day and the New Year's Eve ball were fantastic with great food and service. We had booked three rooms over this period and all were very clean to a high standard. We had fluffy bathrobes, slippers, chocolates and water provided in our room and the children were given a teddy bear and book. This hotel knows how to look after guests.

Room Tip: Where possible ask for rooms overlooking Parkers Piece
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the stay over the festive period, and that our staff were attentative to your requirements.

I see from your comments you had booked one of our packages and that I hope whom ever had the teddy bear is enjoying him/her now.

I do hope we see you at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel over the New Year's period. The staff is well trained and really focused on customer service. After bookign my room I called the Hotel for direction and confirmation of the booking and the lady I spoke to in reception was really friendly and helpfull. We arrived at 10:00 am as we wanted to look around Cambridge and we were checked in straight away. Such a plus when you travelled far. We were booked into a DR and I do agree that the rooms can do with an upgrade but at the end of the day beds are comfy, the size of the room is a good, we were centrally located, food was eccellent, staff was always smiling and ready to help. I will definetely come back here again and I will definetly use the restourant as tehe food was one of the best I ever tried.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bambi2012
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest

Firstly may I wish you a belated happy new year.

Secondly thank you for your positive views you have recently posted, it is true as you mention in certain quarters the hotel is ready for new fixtures and fittings, but on the positive alas you have mentioned we do pride our self on the house keeping standards.

I was pleased to read also that we were able to accommodate your early arrival, and that you had the opportunity to experience our restaurant R17 and that this meet the expectations you may have seen on past reviews.

Once again I am glad you had the opportunity to experience the services we offer and ll meet and surpassed in certain areas your expectations.

Andrew

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Unlike other people we had a fantastic Christmas Party which was arranged by my company.
The food was good, and service brilliant.
The staff were very helpful and ensured we had a book night.
Everyone on our table also thought it was great

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Duncan

May I thank you for your positive review which you have recently posted.

I am glad you found the hotel to your satisfaction, and that you found your whole experience with us enjoyable, especially as a company event, and having the opportunity to experience all of the hotels services, as you will note we strive to meet all guests requirements and on this occasion, out practices have shown that all efforts and training by all have been worth while.

I hope to see you at the hotel in the near future.

KR

Andrew

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here with my partner for New Year's eve. The hotel was in a perfect location to access Cambridge and enjoy a meal and drinks in town. The rate was not cheap, which we took to indicate that this was a better than average hotel... unfortunately we were wrong.
The parking is very poor - basement level with no spaces and all the cars looking like sardines tightly packed in to a tin. Found parking on the road nearby, so that was fine. Upon checking in there were two staff checking people in, with a gentleman looking slightly lost with nothing to do, but not offering to help check the mounting number of people in. Got to our room which was rather dated, with peeling paper, worn carpet and a dirty bathroom. Called downstairs about a specific issue in the bathroom which was rather disgusting - a cleaner was sent up and cleaned the bathroom, with the manager telling us to see him when we came down for a discount. We spoke to the manager and were told a discount would be applied, however as we had already paid online for the room, we still faced a room service and drinks bill and nearly a fortnight on still no refund. It might have made more sense to discount the room and not charge us the drinks and food bill instead. Many emails being exchanged, mostly one sided and still no refund. Looked in to the planning applications the manager talks about when otehr guests complain about the poor state of the hotel and it is still pending - there is no imminent permissed work. I would imagine that if/when the works go ahead, guests can look forward to even more costly rates and perhaps the same poor level of customer services. No plans to stay here in the future!

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoë S
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, as you are aware I have dealt with personally and have emailed you, and as discussed we have refunded form our part to lastmintue, whom are dealing with the refund to your card.

As I am sure you appreciate lastminute dealt with your payment, and thus they will be refunding you directly, I have at each stage, kept you up-to-date with correspondence, I have now asked for my Front Office Manager to contact and speak with our Lastmintue account manager, to sort this, matter, as a matter of urgency.

Once again thank you for your custom and issues raised.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here for one night attending a Christmas work party and was absolutely shocked by my stay. I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel before and have stayed at plenty within the UK. To start with on arrival I asked the receptionist what time breakfast would be and what time checkout in the morning would be (I thought this would be quite normal questions when somebody checks in to a hotel) and I was told by the receptionist to read the details when I go up to my room! Imagine... I go to my room to find the balcony door is open and does not lock. I wouldn't feel safe sleeping knowing this so asked reception could I change rooms- she said every room was taken. I waited for maintenance for about 20 minutes for him to come up and advise me there was no no key (which I had told them) he would go to look for a spare. By this point I had only 25 minutes to get ready for my work do so called back to tell them not to worry I would sort something. The lady from my company organising the stay said there was a spare room and brought me to reception to get another room. The same arrogant lady was there and seemed extremely annoyed with me. I have to say I am usually such a placid person and have never even written a bad review on trip adviser before so her treatment really shocked me. To top it off the new room key I received ( walking in with two other colleagues helping to carry my bags at 2 am in the morning) had a young lady sleeping in the bed who screamed as we walked in! Note- always put the latch on your doors. I ended up swapping rooms with a colleague. I found out from reception later that apparently the awful receptionist was in fact a manager called Sylvia! My father has managed top hotels in London for over 30 years and when I told him of my experiences he was disgusted. Other than that the room was tired looking- but had quite a large telly, comfy bed and tea/coffee facilities which were fine. Our 3 course meal was awful thank god we had eaten not long before. The potatoes tasted like Aunt Bessy's cooked 5 times. Breakfast was lovely as were the girls working in the breakfast area. One last thing at 1.30 in the morning I asked the young man at reception could we order sandwiches and coffee. He said yes but only to your rooms as room service- I said please as I'm with my colleagues could we not sit down in the foyer (it would be less work than delivering to different rooms)- he was adamant that he couldn't so we didn't bother ordering anything. Overall I think the attitude of the awful receptionist ruined my stay- if she had at least said sorry about the balcony and had a better attitude I'm sure things wouldn't have seemed so bad but she acted like everything was all my fault and wouldn't even look at me in the morning-weird character and not an example to other staff of who should be greeting and welcoming guests to a hotel they have travelled far to get to.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank 1aliyah1

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments raised.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, however the decor is tired. The breakfast was a disaster waited ages to be served. Then got raw sausage. The bread for toast was frozen. My tip is stay on a room
Only basis and go in town for food there are great places within 1 minutes walk

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us at the hotel,

The hotel in certain areas is as you mention looking tired, and these are the areas set for the refurbishment.

Regarding the standard of the breakfast you encountered this saddened and shock me, for 2 reasons.

Firstly breakfast is generally the last encounter and memory a guest has when leaving the hotel.

Secondly I was shocked as we have overall receive most favourable comments regarding the quality and produce of our breakfast.

I have looked into the issues mentioned and to ensure these are eradicated and any potential issues that may arise are dealt with before they happen, this has been done by introducing new training policies and check lists.

I do hope we see you at the hotel in the near future and if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me direct.