“You charged me £60 for the carpark!”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“You charged me £60 for the carpark!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Visited and stayed many times in the past. But this will be the last.

Booked, registered and had tea here on a Sunday afternoon and used the car park. Could have parked on the street outside which would have been free on a Sunday afternoon. A week later received a fine for £60. Called the hotel and was told I had to pay it.

The tea was ok but considering it was for a couple it wasn't very symmetrical. Tea choice was limited, the two types we ordered were out of stock. Surprised a tea strainer wasn't standard either. Bread was stale. And the music...MTV in an afternoon tea establishment???

Considering the afternoon cost £90 with the car park charge I have no intention of ever going back. Also no chance of booking family and colleagues in here ever again. There are too many alternatives in Cambridge for such poor behaviour.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank filluk
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, I was saddened to learn that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea, I wished to ask did you bring this to the attention of the staff at the time, as we would of gladly exchanged anything that was not to satisfaction

Regarding the car park, the hotel has before last October has had relevant signage in the hotel car parks and on all entrance points, explaining about the car park, and to ensure it is registered at reception.

I am sorry you feel that you will not be using the service of the hotel in the future, but do hope we see you in the near future.

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Cambridge
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I am constantly amazed by the few - but too many - negative comments about this hotel. I stay there frequently, and have nothing but praise for the courtesy and efficiency of the staff, for the restaurant food, and for the superbly and promptly presented breakfasts. The position is as good as it gets, and the rooms that I stay in are invariably clean and comfortable. I have nothing but praise (except for the very slow-moving lift! - but that is a very minor worry).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

May I thank you for your repeat business, and I am pleased that your your stays you have had the opportunity to experience all the hotels services.
Where possible we do try to ensure we meet all guess needs and expectations, and I am pleased that you find this constistant.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Although, yes the hotel is a little tired. The location & the staff very much make up for it. Hotel manager Mr Andrew is one of the most personable managers I have come across. Brekkie excellent. Thk you

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted you stay meet you expectations, and to thank you for the king words.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

The decor in the room was tired and dated. The bed was made up of 2 single beds zipped together, which wouldn't be a problem if the beds were at the same level to each other. The toilet struggled to flush properly and when we first arrived in our room we found a large amount of toilet paper in the toilet. I would have hoped the cleaner would have sorted this!

The location however is excellent and breakfast was ok.

In my honest opinion it is not worth the money.

A harsh review...possibly, but all true.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your belated review regarding your stay with us in January.

I was saddened yet surprised to learn that you found the bed unlevel, as upon checking the room myself I found the twin beds to be of the same make and height, and the female and male zip connections that make the bed into a zip and link bed all in order.

It is true that certain parts of the hotel the hotels fixtures and fittings are reading for an upgrade,

With respect to the toilet paper being left in the toilet I can mainly but apologise, and having already written to you in person regarding your recent stay, can inform you that procedures were followed as discussed.

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here again in room 217 overlooking the Park.
The room was spotlessly clean and fresh with a lovely comfortable bed and fresh crisp linen.
As it was my husband's birthday the hotel spoilt us with lovely fluffy robes,slippers,water and chocolates,bottle of wine and even a birthday card.Nice to know the staff look after their guests in this way.Breakfast was served in the ballroom ehich is a lovely room overlooking the Park.
Good variety of food on offer although the bacon didn't live up to expectations.Our room was ready well before check in time.We did not eat in the restaurant as we had booked a meal in cambridge prior to our arrival.All the staff are polite,friendly and very helpful.Service from reception,breakfast and housekeeping was exeception.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Emma

Thank you for your recent comments you have presented here on trip advisor.

I was delighted to have read that the hotel met your expectations in many of the hotels faculties, with regard to the items in the room, we pride our selves in trying to ensure each individual stay is as personal as can be, and small details such as cards we have found to be idyllic touches.

With respect to the staff feedback whether as your positive or negative, is vital for the future team building and structing of the hotel.

I do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future, and also have the opportunity to dine in our R17 restaurant.
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

When we booked through Lastminute Secret Hotels, upon finding out where we were going we looked up The University Arms reviews on Trip Advisor and they weren't great to say the least.
However we went with an open mind, and were pleasantly surprised.
The public areas are very grand with a historical theme, the bar is lovely and overlooks Parker's Piece. There is even a 1927 Lift with cage type doors. Location of this hotel is spot on. Parking is underneath (chargeable).
We asked for a refurbished room, which was £40 night extra but WELL WORTH IT. Room was lovely and overlooked the park. Room cleanliness was fine. Staff were very courteous and gave excellent service.
I would definitely stay here again; would ask for the same room too.
The only reason for not giving a five rating is that we did not eat at the hotel as we had restaurant reservations in Cambridge. The restaurant menu at R17 did look excellent though and very reasonable at £22 for 3 courses.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room overlooking Parker's Piece
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

May I thank you for your recent review, I am pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the hotel with an open mind, and found that in all areas we meet with your expectations.
We where possible sdo try to ensure we are able to accomodate as many of our guests needs as possible.

I do hope upon a return visit you do have the opportunity to experience R17, we do hope to see you in the near future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Scruffy hotel that needs refurbishment, food in the bar expensive and poor quality. The restaurant might be better, but I'm not inclined to find out. I pity teh poor staff who have deal with the complaints and they aren't that bad.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cambridge-Lover
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor, which I have read in detail.

Having had the opportunity to read your current and past views of premises in the city, I was saddened to learn that the hotel did not meet your expectations, I was shocked to learn that you found the bar menu and food expensive and poor quality, as our prices are regularly reviewed against other city properties and are in line with current offerings, the food quality I was saddened to learn you found poor as we have and still currently receive favourable feedback.

Regard our R17 restaurant it is a shame you did not have the opportunity or wish to dine her, as we have a strong regular clientele from local persons and residents, whom dine with us at least twice a month, and again our feedback is favourable.

I do hope you have the opportunity to sample the foods and delights in R17 in the near future.