“2 night business trip”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“2 night business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews on here, I was slightly anxious about what to expect. Yes, it is a little tired in places, but there does seem to be a lot of piecemeal refurbishment taking place.

As for my own experience, overall no complaints. Best bit, gorgeous fluffy white towels on a heated towel rail, just perfect for when you come out the shower. Worst bit was the shower was intent on soaking the bathroom floor, dribbling down the wall and onto the floor.

The breakfast was superb the first day, the fresh fruit and fresh muffins being the stars. However, on the second day there was an event on in the a Grand Ballroom where breakfast is normally served. Breakfast was served else where, muffins just weren't the same, nor was the watery orange juice.

That said, it still has a lot going for it, especially the staff who were all very friendly while at the same time, very professional.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel P
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Nigel

Thank you for your recent comments and pointers that you have raised regarding what you encountered, these have been passed to the relevant departments for processing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I took a risk on Last Minute.com and bought one of their secret hotels at way below advertised and rack value. The hotel they gave me was the 4 star University Arms. When I saw that the hotel only had a 40% approval rating on Trip Advisor I wasn't expecting too much and literally just hoped I didn't get one of the truly horrid rooms.
The first thing I noticed on arrival is there is the beautiful part of the hotel that they show in all pictures, and then there is a ugly 70's style annex that looks over one of the main streets.
I did notice a few people speak about the refurbished rooms, so I did ask about those when I checked in, but was told they would be a £50 upgrade fee.
As it would happen, our room was in the Annex, with old cheap hotel style hallways and rooms. The room itself was clean but was nothing to get excited about. The bed was certainly not a double bed, being both shorter and less wide than any I have stayed in. The bed was a bit to soft for me, but I would put that down to personal preference. The bathroom reminded me of something I could expect in a 2 star hotel in places I have stayed in Eastern Europe. For the price I paid, I felt, it just about seemed worth it. Had I paid the real rate, I would have been furious. My room (204) looked over the street and was quite noisy until about 3am when everyone finally decided to stop partying.

Overall this hotel left me a bit blah. I do struggle to understand how they maintain a four star rating, when based on the room I stayed in, I wouldn't put them above 2.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room overlooking the street unless you are a sound sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, I am saddened to learn that you felt the hotel did not meet your expectations, where ever possible we try to ensure we meet as many guests expectationsd as possible. Your comments have been noted and passed to the relevant department managers.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in a twin room. Rooms are very big and clean, although the decoration is a bit dated.
Location is perfect in the city center and just a 15min walk to the train station.

Even though we were on the top floor, the street noise was very present (especially buses). Beds are also extremely soft, so people with back problems should be cautious.

Breakfast is extremely good and served in a beautiful ball room with a beautiful view. There is a great selection of eggs, drinks and breads. I especially enjoyed the cereal bar.

There are definitely cheaper options available, but all in all very happy about this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking the street
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank anneleen v
Thank you for your recent review regarding your recent stay with us at the hotel, and I am pleased that the overall experience met with your expectations.
Lydney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked on line and pleased to have no trouble on arrival. Straight to a comfy double room with all the facilities. Probably the best shower in a hotel I have used. A couple of "downs" crept in - lovely to have free wireless, but had to keep disabling it so my device could switch to the much faster Cellular 3G - wireless should be usable - both ends of the day were grim. Lovely to have a hairdryer - powerful and adjustable - but pretty foul filter on the intake - many moons of human debris in it (yuk!) - if the daily room cleaner passed the vac over it it would be great. The aircon unit was not wired in - so after fiddling with the remote for 5 mins, opened the window for cool - fair enough in February. I would have had breakfast but felt it was pricy - so decided not - only to find a discounted price on offer when I came down to check out - bit of bad timing if they want people to use the breakfast room. Overall - actually a pleasant and efficient hotel - on leaving I asked for a taxi - it arrived exactly on time. The bill was reasonable and the bar prices pretty fair - yes - I would go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RoySharma
Dear Guest

I am glad that you found your overall experience of the hotel satisfactory and that this met with your approval also with what you considered value for money on the bill.

Regarding the hair dryer I have followed this up to ensure that housekeeping check these on a daily basis, to ensure that this problem is eradicated with immediate affect.

Also I am sorry that you wasted your precious time fiddling with the air conditioning unit, this is due to on-going electrical testing of the units.

I was saddened to learn that you did not have the opportunity of experiencing our breakfasts as we have positive feedback in this area, I have ensured that the reception team do offer these vouchers to guests upon check in not check in or out.

Once again thank you for your positive and detailed reply, we do hope too hearing from you in the near future.
Chichester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel is very central and the downstairs areas are fine, but there is no sound-proofing between floors and for some reason the person in the room above us seemed to be walking around from about 3.30am onwards, and the creaking floorboards made sleep impossible.
Also, although we had a nice view over Parker's Piece from the window, we were there on a Saturday night and the noise from drunken party-goers went on for most of the night, so all in all it was a disastrous night, and not one to be repeated.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, I was saddened to learn that your stay was not as relaxing as one would have hoped.

With the agent of the building there are certain areas where the b building is in original character, such is that certain internal creaks and croans are part of the building fabric.

It is true the hotel is in a busy area of Cambridge’s cosmopolitan area, during the weekends the area is thriving with diners, and party revellers, we do work closely with the local authorities and local businesses to ensure that we communicate any excess noise to the relevant authorities for processing.

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Road noise terrible, blackout curtains falling of the rails, workmen quite literally drilling next door at 8am, upstairs room noise like a herd of elephants, creaky and old everywhere - one to avoid from personal experience

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank AndySeed
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us at the hotel, I was saddened to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. Due to the location of the hotel I am afraid that I am not able to assit with respect of the road noise, but with respect to the workmen I have spoken with the Planning Manager to ensure works are of a more respectable time.

Many thanks once again.
middlesex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for work for the first time, first thing they tell you is that its a £16.99 charge for the carpark which is so small and the spaces are so tight.

Got given my room, it was old, tired and grubby looking, went to reception was told i could upgrade for an extra charge

Looked at the 2nd room was much better than the first but still not great, opted for this one. Walls and ceilings seem very thin, could hear the person next door blowing their nose and the person upstairs walking about which rattled the light fittings!! The bathroom flooring is stained, the windows mouldy and the curtains hanging off

The room and the whole hotel was ridiculously hot, i couldn't open the window as it was on a fire exit, was a sash window and anyone could have got in

It was not until the morning i found food on the floor of which was not eaten by me so the room cleaning is not that great!

Breakfast is a cold buffet option or you can order hot food, my colleagues cold poached eggs came along with multiple slices of burnt toast, when she flagged this, she was asked "is the toast not okay the other side" also very slow service

This hotel needs massively updating in the whole and cleaning as its generally grubby and dirty, not worth the money at all

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dollyshols
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us at the hotel., I was saddened to read, that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, all input has been taken on board and passed to the relevant senior staff for monitoring.

Andrew