“Good Weekend”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Liverpool
“Good Weekend”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here 20/3 till 24/3 2014 and had an enjoyable weekend. Food good and staff very friendly and helpful. Ideally situated for touring the City. Beds very comfortable.There were 96 of us having a reunion and it went down very well.

Room Tip: Nearer the back of the hotel is Quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Superscouse69

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. It was a pleasure hosting your event. The University Arms Hotel, does makes an ideal venue for a Reunion,where you have all local attractions so close, to explore and discover. The hotel is also ideally located for shopping in Cambridge, with the Grand Arcade and John Lewis, only yards away from the entrance! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Kind regards
Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Staffs
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends last weekend. I had booked a single room at £75. Upon arrival from the front, the building is a late 60's architectural travesty. Nothing like the pictures it shows on the web site. Those pictures are all taken from the rear of the building. I initially drove past the small underground car park. For information of future visitors, it is on the front right hand corner at the front of the building. Easy to miss as it is right next to the traffic lights and not signposted very well. The car park is VERY small. If you have anything larger than a mini then be prepared to do a 20 point turn to get your vehicle in or out of the bay.
The lobby is quite dark and needs updating as it looked very tired. I was given a single room on the third floor. Upon entering the room I was shocked at the standard of it. The paintwork was cracked and flaking, wallpaper peeling off the walls, the blind was wonky and didn't sit properly. The bathroom was on first inspection clean enough. It was like something from an eastern Europe 2 star hotel though. The lighting was dim, the shower reminded me of an old school shower. The flooring appeared clean but was covered in scratches and strange black scuffs. Plenty of clean white towels were provided along with free toiletries. I can at times accept if a hotel needs an upgrade but can not accept if it is dirty. As you can see in one of my pictures, there was thick old dust/dirt that had collected around the edge of the skirting and by the door. Disgusting. As I was due to meet the rest of my group and didn't want to upset them and make them aware of the state of my room, I waited for them to go to our planned activity and I spoke with reception out of their ear shot. Not wanting to cause a scene, I also waited for other guests who were checking in to leave the desk area. I mentioned the state of my room to reception. I was informed they would look to clean it again...... I then has to rush to catch up with my group.
Upon returning back to my room, I couldn't see any difference. The really obvious pile of dust was still by the door!!! There was no apology, no offer to change my room, nothing.
Breakfast the next day was held in the ballroom. This could be a fantastic room but it is so tired and run down that it really lets the place down. Parts of the carpet were thread bear and other parts held together with black masking tape. The curtains in front of what I assume was a stage, were frayed and falling apart. On a positive note, the view onto Parkers Piece is delightful and the food was lovely. The cooked to order food was hot and delivered quickly. The cold buffet items were plentiful and the items I had were nice.
The location of the hotel is perfect for a weekend away. Just be aware that it is NOT up to a 4 star standard. Upon checking out my bill was £91 as parking is £16 a night. I don't mind paying for secure city parking but £91 for my visit was defiantly NOT value for money due to the very poor standard of room provided. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking Parkers Piece otherwise you may end up with a view like mine that looked...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaG
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear LisaG

Many thanks for your review. Your comments are very valuable to us and it is feedback such as yours that assists us in constantly reviewing our standards and quality delivery of service to our guests. I have been to look at the room, and there was not a pile of dust on the floor. The carpet does need replacing, which is planned within our refurbishment programme at the end of the year. This also applies to the Ballroom, which is, as you say, a lovely room, overlooking Parker's Piece.

The room you that you booked, was indeed small hence the price of £75 bed and breakfast, which is a fixed price and represents the size of the room.

I am pleased to read that you found the food and the service good at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. We hear this on a regular basis from our customers, which finds us in a position of guests returning to us having experienced poor service in other, more expensive hotels.

I do sincerely hope you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future, and not been deterred by the shortfall of our decor on this occasion. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Christine Gallop

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked as a "secret hotel" on laterooms, and was drawn in by the 4* rating and £99 overnoght fee. When we were told the hotel, and read the reviews, then a little disappointed. I concur with what is said on here, it really feels more like a 2 star. The decor in the room was certainly from the 1980s, showing a disregard for investment, but clean enough. The service was poor, no morning paper arrived and the car park cost £16 and we were not briefed on this. Location is very good though, right in the centre. I would advise this for anyone on a budget who is looking to stay central, and this comes up as a cheap place when compared to others for your night of stay. I would not advise this for anyone looking for a 4 star experience, say on a romantic weekend or whatever. It is not suited for this at all, trust me...

Room Tip: Ask if there have been any that have been renovated after Wham! were in the charts. Perhaps there a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Mat L

Thank you for submitting your response on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. Your review is very important to us and we value your feedback.
By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a better experience for you and other guests in the future.

Yours sincerely
Christine
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Central location, just a couple of minutes walk to the city centre. This hotel offers parking for £8 per day which is a little gem in itself in the centre of Cambridge (just be warned that there is limited availability).

A warm and thorough check-in meant we were in our room within a matter of minutes. We upgraded to one of the refurbished rooms and would highly recommend it. The room was incredibly spacious and plush with a contemporary bathroom and sofa. Also included were bathrobes and slippers - making it a relaxing base after a busy day exploring (please note that we saw some of the standard rooms and they looked quite tired and dated and we probably would have been a bit disappointed with the style and comfort of these bedrooms). The room was spotless and clearly well looked after by the housekeeping team. The only downside of our room was that is was facing the main road and it was VERY noisy at night as drunken people made their way back home.

The main communal areas in the hotel need a little TLC but the location still made this hotel great value for money. The breakfast was delicious with ample choice and the large and relatively grand breakfast room overlooks a large green.park, which proved a lovely start to the day. Again, it's a little 'chintzy' but had enough charm and customer service to win us over.

We would stay here again but only in the refurbished rooms and we would request a room that did not face the main road.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading if you're staying for a few days or if you like more contemporary and luxur...
1 Thank Gemmaleigh77
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Gemmaleigh

Thank you very much for your review of your stay. By telling us what you liked about your stay, we can feedback to the employees at the hotel, which in turn is motivating and rewarding.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews on here, I was slightly anxious about what to expect. Yes, it is a little tired in places, but there does seem to be a lot of piecemeal refurbishment taking place.

As for my own experience, overall no complaints. Best bit, gorgeous fluffy white towels on a heated towel rail, just perfect for when you come out the shower. Worst bit was the shower was intent on soaking the bathroom floor, dribbling down the wall and onto the floor.

The breakfast was superb the first day, the fresh fruit and fresh muffins being the stars. However, on the second day there was an event on in the a Grand Ballroom where breakfast is normally served. Breakfast was served else where, muffins just weren't the same, nor was the watery orange juice.

That said, it still has a lot going for it, especially the staff who were all very friendly while at the same time, very professional.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel P
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Nigel

Thank you for your recent comments and pointers that you have raised regarding what you encountered, these have been passed to the relevant departments for processing.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I took a risk on Last Minute.com and bought one of their secret hotels at way below advertised and rack value. The hotel they gave me was the 4 star University Arms. When I saw that the hotel only had a 40% approval rating on Trip Advisor I wasn't expecting too much and literally just hoped I didn't get one of the truly horrid rooms.
The first thing I noticed on arrival is there is the beautiful part of the hotel that they show in all pictures, and then there is a ugly 70's style annex that looks over one of the main streets.
I did notice a few people speak about the refurbished rooms, so I did ask about those when I checked in, but was told they would be a £50 upgrade fee.
As it would happen, our room was in the Annex, with old cheap hotel style hallways and rooms. The room itself was clean but was nothing to get excited about. The bed was certainly not a double bed, being both shorter and less wide than any I have stayed in. The bed was a bit to soft for me, but I would put that down to personal preference. The bathroom reminded me of something I could expect in a 2 star hotel in places I have stayed in Eastern Europe. For the price I paid, I felt, it just about seemed worth it. Had I paid the real rate, I would have been furious. My room (204) looked over the street and was quite noisy until about 3am when everyone finally decided to stop partying.

Overall this hotel left me a bit blah. I do struggle to understand how they maintain a four star rating, when based on the room I stayed in, I wouldn't put them above 2.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room overlooking the street unless you are a sound sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, I am saddened to learn that you felt the hotel did not meet your expectations, where ever possible we try to ensure we meet as many guests expectationsd as possible. Your comments have been noted and passed to the relevant department managers.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in a twin room. Rooms are very big and clean, although the decoration is a bit dated.
Location is perfect in the city center and just a 15min walk to the train station.

Even though we were on the top floor, the street noise was very present (especially buses). Beds are also extremely soft, so people with back problems should be cautious.

Breakfast is extremely good and served in a beautiful ball room with a beautiful view. There is a great selection of eggs, drinks and breads. I especially enjoyed the cereal bar.

There are definitely cheaper options available, but all in all very happy about this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking the street
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank anneleen v
Thank you for your recent review regarding your recent stay with us at the hotel, and I am pleased that the overall experience met with your expectations.