“Great staff, tired looking room.”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Like many reviews on here, I must praise the excellent customer service of this hotel.
The food was good and the public areas were well presented. The website is careful to avoid the hideous 60s extension, which is a little naughty, but you only have to Google the hotel to know what you're really letting yourself in for.
Unlike others, I had no problem with the carpark, finding it easy to get around and find a space. The charge of £16 felt steep initially, but we arrived before noon and left just before noon the following day and you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the city that would charge less.

The rooms were tired, with stains on the ceiling, cracked bathroom tiles and a general feeling of neglect, but that is far more the fault of the past than the future and I wish the current owners the best of luck in refurbishing a once great hotel.
If the new decor matches the high quality of the staff, they'll be on to a winner.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade to the rooms overlooking the park.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Mr Dobson

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel and comment on the excellent customer service at the hotel. I will feed this back to the team, as it is incredibly rewarding when guests take the time to make good comments. Thank you also for your wishes with regards to the refurbishment of the hotel. It is certainly an exciting time for the hotel and the plans outline the refurbishment which will make the hotel what it used to be “the best hotel in Cambridge”. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

just an over night stay…..large room, very comfortable bed and a superb outlook over Parker's Piece. Excellent breakfast and excellent service from friendly and helpful staff……..but De Vere's, the owning chain, let their staff and this lovely old building down….away from the beautiful public rooms it's a tired place, stained carpets, frayed wallpaper and decaying window frames……come on De Vere spend some money on the place.

Room Tip: get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor with a view over Parker's Piece.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kelvinroy

Dear Kelvinroy

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experience how friendly and helpful our staff are at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. I will pass your comments onto the team as it is these positive comments that encourage and motivate. You will be pleased to know that the hotel will be having an extensive refurbishment and will be indeed the premier hotel in Cambridge. We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel has an old-world look and feel but this is more attractive in the public areas than in the rooms, which - at least in my case - are looking dated. I understand a refurb is being carried out, and probably not before time. Having said that, the room was an adequate size and was comfortable.

Location is very central, and also about a 15 min walk from the railway station. Breakfast is fine - orders are taken for hot breakfasts but they're delivered quickly. Staff were professional and polite. A dedicated taxi phone linked to a local provider and taxis would rush round in 5 to 10 mins.

One slight gripe was around the wifi; rooms do have free wifi but it was somewhat temperamental in my room, cutting out at times, and I did wonder whether the bandwidth was sufficient at peak times.

Room Tip: Perhaps choose a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise from late night rowdies in the streets.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Philip

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. The hotel is indeed looking forward to a refurbishment, however in the meantime I will look into your comments with regards to the WIFI with our maintenance team. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back once the hotel has been refurbished.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I agree with many of the poor reviews , I guess it would be a few years before the UA reaches 4 star standard again.

I was disappointed by :-

The poor state of the bathroom , rusty and mouldy windows are not acceptable - nor are poor standard botched attempts at resealing the surfaces around the bath.

The heating. Every corridor was like a sauna , and our room was no better. I was momentarily cheered by the air conditioning unit - but alas it did not work.

The noise from drunken students messing around in the park at 2am !

The noise from traffic starting at 6am (the price you pay from having to open the rusty windows).

The breakfast ! Tasteless bacon and sausages. A travesty when there is so much good local produce available.

Would I stay here again ? No

Room Tip: Ask to move to one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terrence B
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, however I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. In the rooms that do not have air-conditioning, we supply fans in order to offer guests a solution to the problem. I will pass your comments onto the chef with regards to the breakfast. We do use local produce wherever possible, especially in our R17 restaurant, which is rated 6 on Trip Advisor. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cambridge University Arms hotel once it has been refurbished.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

90 members of the Society stayed for a weekend. This was our 30th meet in various hotels across the UK. We found all our pre event requirements were met efficiently by our contact Christine Gallop, who introduced me to her team and the duty managers for the weekend. Our members were very complimentary about the hotel and its central location to all the amenities of Cambridge. The duty managers dealt with the various functions competently and with ease. The Shaw Savill Society Committee wish to express their thanks for the success of the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacky B
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

May I thank you for your kind words and feedback regarding yours and fellows of your group that stayed with us at the hotel, having had the opportunity to utilise many of the hotels services including our conference and banqueting, does assist us in developing training manuals and standards for the forth coming quarter.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Andrew

Reviewed 2 April 2014

booked a standard room but were offered an upgrade which we took as we read that some of the rooms are awful, and yes it was a little dated [I understand a refurb is in progress]but for the price we paid was a great size ,perfectly clean and had everything we needed with the added attraction of views over the park. particularly loved the old style lift!! breakfast was great, and being cooked to order is always a bonus. the hotel is in a good position for the center of town and there is plenty of accessable parking on site [contrary to previous reviews] and £16 is not an unreasonable fee for Cambridge!
we would consider this hotel again if we came to Cambridge

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear s_kdavies

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. The hotel does have a great location, so close to all Cambridge’s attractions and shops! As you mentioned, our prices do reflect the room décor, thus offering great value for money for a city centre hotel. Our Otis lift (dating back to 1927!), is often mentioned when guests stay and is one of the many individual quirks of the hotel, that our guests enjoy. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and coupled with the fact you are able to enjoy a view out of the window over-looking the famous Parker’s Piece is another added bonus when staying at the Cambridge University Arms!
Thank you again for your comments which I will feed back to all the team at the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel for one night on 29/03/2014. I had booked the simply du vine deal and stayed in a parkview room. I found the room spacious, was pleased with the little extras such as wine and chocolate provided, and loved the comfortable huge bed and view of the park! It is true that the room could do with a spruce up as the wallpaper is beginning to peel and some of the furniture is becoming old, unlike the pictures online. However, I was pleased with the room overall and the bathroom was fairly newly refurbished. I found the receptionists helpful and they amended my bill at the end of the stay without any issues due to a minor issue.

We ate in the r17 and although I will review this seperately go there for amazing food!!

We had breakfast in the morning and again I found this great. There is such a wide selection and my partner was particularly pleased at being able to have diabetic jam, and a muffin following this! He found the cooked breakfast a bit mediocre, although I had haddock and poached egg which was delicious.

The hotel is placed perfectly and I would come back if a similar offer came up again.

Room Tip: we stayed in a parkview room which was lovely
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jennjob

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. The Parkview rooms are, as you say lovely rooms overlooking Parker’s Piece and indeed very spacious. We work hard on our customer service and often have fantastic feedback with regards to the hotel team, but often this is direct to the hotel and not published, so I again thank you for your comments. R17 is a great asset to the hotel and is currently rated 6 in the top 10 restaurants in Cambridge. We have taken note of your review of breakfast, and would like to let you know that we are currently reviewing our offering. I will let the chef know that you enjoyed the haddock and poached egg though!

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.