University Arms Cambridge
US$169
US$207
US$202
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$147
HIExpress.com
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$201
US$238
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$52
Travelodge
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$144
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Staying just one night while on business, we found this hotel ideal: well placed in the centre for everything from leisure to business, comfortable, clean and efficient with an old world charm that goes with the courteous staff, the panelled walls, the leather chairs, free newspapers and the elegant lighting. Parking is easy and accessible, the rooms well appointed with everything you might need from trouser press to ironing board, no-fuss wifi and superbly comfortable beds. Excellent breakfast looking out on the park. Pity about the shower: a fixed shower is never the best, but when it cascades so close to the wall that it is difficult to get under it, a more imaginative plumber needs to be sent for. Please get this right, it spoils your hotel !

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking 'Parker's Piece'.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is certainly located perfectly for exploring Cambridge and its attractions, not forgetting the fabulous Grand arcade for shopping. I was worried to learn of your experience with the shower and have passed your comments onto the maintenance team. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

A nice hotel in the middle of Cambridge. I stayed here with a group of friends for a course on the university. Good English breakfast, clean spacious rooms (i had one with a view on the College green, try to get one too for a nice view). The hotel clearly has had some history: behind the ugly facade you will find a historic hotel. In some places a bit worn down, but never problematic or intrusive.
We had an ugly incident at the bar one evening though: the barman wasn't prepared to serve wine by the glass (only complete bottles), even though we were quite a big group and really good customers at the hotel. Even the evening manager didn't budge. Rather gross behaviour I thought, since the bottle would probably have been finished anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view on the Green
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Stan1972
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cambridge University Arms Hotel and feedback your thoughts on the hotel. I am sorry that you felt the service at the bar was disappointing, unfortunately there are some bottles of wines that we do not serve by the glass, however we do offer a good selection of other wines by the glass. Please e-mail direct with the details of the wine and we will certainly look into whether it would be possible or not.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

It really is a case of, if you want to pay cheap you get what you pay for. This is Cambridge prices which are the same as London I paid £75 for b&b in a single room.I was only staying 1 night and didn't expect much but I can say the room was clean. I do wish I'd had ear plugs as others have said it is noisy,pipes & anyone in the hallway due to the fact about an inch gap at the bottom of the door & also the hallway carpet hasn't been fitted up to the door. The breakfast room looks over a park which with a sunny morning was lovely the food was average.I choose this hotel for being central which I needed & I didn't want to pay the prices that the other central hotels were charging which was nearer £130 for a single room.I would not choose this hotel if I was wanting a getaway or holiday . Parking price reflects Cambridge which doesn't like cars in the centre tho to my mind the cyclists were far more dangerous I nearly got hit a few times as they do speed & cycle anywhere without due care and attention.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. The £75 bed and breakfast rate is a very good rate for the centre of Cambridge, however I will refer the gap to our maintenance department who, I am sure can do something about it. I do agree that the breakfast room offers fabulous surroundings to enjoy your breakfast whilst watching the world go by on Parker’s Piece. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Upon arriving after a long trip down from Cumbria, we asked at reception if we needed to display a permit in the car in the hotel underground car park. Even though we had paid over £110 for the room we were told it would be £16 to park the car overnight!!!!!! The hotel has given over the running of the car park to an outside firm of legalized bandits because they have had trouble in the past with commuters parking in their car park and not paying. Did we want breakfast? yes please. Well, that will be another £20 for two. In the room (135), we had our own water feature, a cascading waste water pipe outside our window from the floor above. Which meant we couldn't have the window open due to water splashing in. Thus the room was unbearably hot, so put on the air-con, very noisy so had to turn it off. So hardly any sleep, not very good when you have travelled the length of the country for an hospital appointment the next day and travel back home. Water feature was reported to reception, a maintenance man looked at it, and that was that. Wi-Fi didn't connect, tried to phone "helpline" they didn't answer,(another outside company) no doubt that will cost us a fortune in phone charges. Very helpful receptionist came up to our room to sort out Wi-Fi connection, which she resolved. The Hotel & our room looks very, very tired. Carpet Duck tape on the Restaurant Carpet is a nice touch. First (& last) time I will use a DeVeere hotel. £16 to park a car!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark P
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay. I am sorry that you have left disappointed. We do offer car parking at the hotel which is controlled by a company, however £16.00 for a 24 hour stay in the city centre is normal for Cambridge. The car parking charge is communicated through our web site and all channels of booking, and therefore surprised that you were not aware of this before you arrived a the hotel. Again, when you book a room you will be asked whether you want a bed and breakfast rate or a room only rate, and therefore a charge for breakfast only applies to guests booking a room only rate. I will feedback to reception with regards to your comments about their helpfulness as it is always very rewarding to hear good comments. I have also communicated the issues with regards to the maintenance problems back to the department.

Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel.
Christine

Reviewed 25 April 2014

What was a reminiscent of past glory old descent hotel (169GBP/a night) turned up to be a quite unhygienic hostel sleep.
The lobby is beautiful and quite a seller, it reminded me of the Grand Budapest Hotel setting.
The lift is lovely and reminiscent of old Haussmannian buildings in central Paris.
But that’s about it.
Coming to the room, it was large and quite a good size for myself, my husband and two children.
The wall paper was missing in parts, the drawers were dirty and had rubbish in them, behind the fading dirty sofa, hasn’t been cleaned for a while.
The bathroom door didn’t close and the sink and the toilet haven’t been scrubbed for a while. Had I stayed longer, I would have gone to the shops to get some bleach.
The air conditioning didn’t work at all. My husband who slept on the sofa, as the double bed wasn’t really a double, had spots on his feet and arms, but we didn’t see any creepy crawlies physically.
Breakfast was quite average but not bad. The grill stopped working every minute and guests kept calling the waiter to put it back on.
The only advantage is it was right in the centre and we really had a nice visit to Cambridge.
But I wouldn’t go back there!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank n_moutih

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge University Arms Hotel, however sorry to hear your stay was disappointing. I have forwarded on your comments to the relevant departments concerned as it is through feedback that they can address any issues there may be, If you would be so kind as to e-mail me direct on christine.gallop@universityarmshotel.com we can have a look at the rooms you stayed in with regards to your comments.
Kind regards