“First Impressions” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Norwich
“First Impressions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for just one night to be close to an event the same evening in the heart of Cambridge.
Booking was very simple and although I thought the hotel a little on the pricey side, it is probably no different from other central city hotels.
Hotels often divides the opinion of my wife and me, specifically the condition of them.
I saw a charming, old world, spacious hotel and room and a comfortable bed for the night. My wife saw any dirt, non-working appliances and poor condition of the paintwork, bathroom, etc.

Good points:
Great location
Spacious and clean room
Friendly and very helpful staff
Easy check-in/check-out

Tips for the Hotel:
Advise visitors using their cars where their car park/entrance is to avoid learning this, missing it and going around the block.
Ear plugs to counter the noise from outside. I slept through the night but my wife had a largely sleepless night due to drunken shouting from the park below for most of it. Premier Inn would have given us our money back! Still, we were in a student town on a Friday night.
Check the guttering when looking out of room 314 to the left! The hotel is heading for problems due to guttering support falling off the building (Health and Safety) and water damage to the fabric of the building.
Before the rooms are occupied, it might be an idea to check that the TV remote batteries are live and that the A/C unit in the rooms are operable. Saves having to call room service. We had hoped to counter the noise from outside by using the A/C however, room service could only report it unusable to maintenance the next morning...not much good to us. I suspect that this and other A/C units may have been out of commission for a while. I would have thought a check-list carried out by the cleaning staff would flag up issues like this prior to occupation of the room.

Otherwise, happy to visit again!

Room Tip: I can only advise that if staying on the park side of the hotel, consider ear plugs if things get ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christine G, Director of Sales at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for posting your review and tips with regards to your stay at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. You have posted some very good tips which will be passed onto the teams involved to review and ensure that all the points have been addressed. The hotel is certainly the best located hotel for a city centre visit with all Cambridge’s attractions within walking distance. I will feedback you comments with regards to the friendly and very helpful staff too, as it is through positive feedback that we can encourage and motivate our teams.
Thank you again for posting your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for one night and had a fantastic experience. The room was refurbished and exceptionally clean and comfortable. The staff on the desk were extremely polite and helpful. A real positive experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arron G
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently back form 3 nights at The University Arms whilst on business in the centre of Cambridge. I knew the location was superb, probably the best located hotel if you are wishing to use Cambridge's centre. I was note anticipating my stay to be as good as it was based on a number of Trip Advisor Reviews. First my room on the second floor was very pleasant indeed: a huge bed, thick clean carpets, thick new curtains, fresh wallpaper and an excellent shower. Yes the bath was a bit old but absolutely fine. My only grumble was a buzzing sound that appeared form near the air conditioning unit (whether switched on or off). This buzzed twice in succession and then every hour or so which was an irritation at night.
The breakfast room was beautiful. Very large, oak panneling and a great view onto Parker's Piece through large windows. Cooked breakfast was served to order at the table and a wide range of other foods were set out tastefully. Full marks.
The bar area and grand piano foyer added a grand impression to this fine hotel.
On reception desk and elsewhere staff were always helpful and cheerful.
Would I visit again? Most definitely, but next time it will be on a family visit to enjoy the many sites right on the doorstep of this splendid hotel. Be quick though for I gather there are grand plans for the University Arms is the not too distant future!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank chopperville
Thank you for posting your review of your stay at Cambridge University Arms Hotel. The hotel is certainly the best located hotel for a city centre visit with all Cambridge’s attractions within walking distance. The bar and lounge area are truly grand, and provide the perfect area for relaxing whilst taking in the historic aspect of the hotel. Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future
Kind regards
Christine
Milton Keynes,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel while visiting Cambridge for a conference just before Easter. It was a "mystery" hotel offered by lastminute.com for a price similar to the college accommodation offered by the conference organisers. My room was spacious and charming and the breakfasts were excellent with a lovely view over Parker's Piece from my room and the lovely dining room. The staff were efficient and helpful and I thoroughly enjoyed staying here. I wished I had more time to enjoy the hotel!

Room Tip: I followed advice to ask for a refurbished room and my room was lovely. Characterful and well mainta...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that enjoyed your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that the staff were efficient and helpful and I will certainly feed this back to them, as it is though comments such as yours that motivate and encourage them to provide such a high level of service.
Thank you again.
Winsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. Yes, it is expensive but that is true of all hotels in Cambridge. Parking was an issue, there were no places at the hotel and my very stressed husband had to drive around Cambridge to find somewhere to park. Not an ideal start. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Yes, the carpet was frayed and it was certainly no modern, shiny hotel but that really added to the charm. Lovely location and helpful staff. Nice bar but very expensive.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I am pleased to hear you found the hotel charming and the staff helpful. Here at the University Arms we strive to offer the highest level of service and whilst the hotel is waiting for a refurbishment, we still provide the charm and character that many hotels lack. I hope that you we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Perhaps we were unlucky to stay in one of the rooms in the 70's extension, as the original part of the hotel looked quite nice, but the Front of House is desperately tired and tatty and our room had the look of a seaside boarding house. The decor is appalling and the room very badly maintained - we reported the broken shower and broken air conditioning unit, but the desk staff didn't seem too concerned, so maybe the standards are deemed to be acceptable. The reception on arrival was very pleasant and the sheets were clean, they really were the only positives in what was a fairly depressing stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SaUsAgEs-are-TaStY
Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that you found reception pleasant. I was, however disappointed to hear the that you did not enjoy your stay and found the décor of the hotel appalling. The hotel will be having an extensive refurbishment at the end of the year and I hope that you will return once this has been completed.

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Shabby, shoddy and over-priced.

Prime site , nice view at breakfast of the frolicking young but the last piece of modernisation was probably the installation of plastic key cards . Absurd lack of lighting in the rooms so could not read documents for a meeting the following morning. Parking overnight was £16 - though no information about this forthcoming when checking in . Not worth a quarrel when checking out with the perfectly decent reception staff. Coffee at breakfast probably Nescafe – or a decent impersonation . In a silverish pot. Sums up the whole thing really. £ 159 without the parking .

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark D
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I am concerned that you had no information about car parking charges when you booked your room as we endeavour to inform all our guests on booking at the hotel the cost and availability. We only serve Douwe Egberts coffee who are master blenders, however I will pass on your comments with regards to the traditional coffee pots that we use. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the reception staff, I will certainly pass this on to them and it always encourages and motivates them, when hearing such feedback.