“An expensive weekend”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had to stay local to the city centre for a daughters graduation and a gran who couldn't walk far so choice was limited

We booked two rooms for two nights arriving Friday afternoon to find the non-hotel owned advertised car park was full. There was no parking elsewhere so a two mile walk back to the hotel after taking the car to the daughters college. And seemingly no way to book a space. Saturday night full too so.....
The two bedrooms were both tired with one rooms carpet threadbare. Neither air conditioning worked so windows open at night but on busy road that all the buses used meant a noisy night. The kettle wouldn't fit under the small bathroom basin tap so filling it was from a small glass. TV ok, bed comfortable and nice duvet. But worn decor and carpets.
Restaurent food ok, bar and lounge area ok too.
But poor parking and very tired rooms at a not cheap cost meant this was. An inconvenient place to stay and poor value for money

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the park not the main roads
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rodger f

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked a room here for two nights to visit a family friend who was about to graduate. Having chosen it for its parking and central location, I was slightly nervous in the light of some of the comments of other reviewers. However, I had a delightful room in the newer part of the hotel with a comfortable double bed and everything was in full working order; the bathroom was fine. Breakfast is served in a magnificent large room overlooking Parker's Piece and my cooked breakfast came very quickly on both mornings. The parking in the underground car park was fine and I didn't mind paying extra for the privilege given the acute shortage of parking in Cambridge. The only real problem I had was getting there - the postcode entered into my Tomtom satnav brought me down a narrow lane adjacent to Parker's Piece with bollards at the end which meant I could not reach the hotel and had acute difficulty even turning round. You need to turn left at the crossroads before you reach Parker's Piece otherwise you will make the same mistake. This brings you to the front of the hotel and the car parking (both in front of the hotel and underground). Finally I was delighted to find I was only a few minutes walk from John Lewis - an added bonus. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Rosamond M
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Hotel is extremely well located. My praise stops there.

I booked a twin room for one night. I double checked at check in and was informed I had a twin room as I was travelling with a friend. Once we got to the room there was one double bed.

The room itself was tired and dated. Cracks in the wall were obvious. The four poster bed looked extremely shoddy. There was also a screw on the carpet that I'm guessing should of been securing something on the bed itself as it was quite shaky. Room service had failed to replenish the consumables in the room and had also not removed the empty biscuit wrappers on the tea/coffee station. The Air Con did not work and shower pressure was quite weak.

I do expect a certain standard at 4 star and above hotels. The University Arms did not meet it.

Overall quite a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank denny939
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is ideally placed for exploring Cambridge. It backs on to Parker's Piece, a lovely expanse of grass, and the bar and dining room look out over this. The public areas of the hotel are stylish and beautiful, with wonderful windows - you wouldn't guess this from the front of the hotel. The hotel has on site parking, but it's expensive at £16 per day for a car. We stayed for two nights. The rooms are large, with wide comfortable beds. We spent the first night of our stay in a room at the front of the hotel, with ill-fitting windows. It was pretty noisy, traffic and noisy people leaving bars and restaurants. This room was clean and large, but the decoration was getting tired. After a busy day sightseeing we returned to the hotel for a quick shower, but the water in the room didn't work, and we found a wet patch on the carpet. There had been a water leak during the day, and we were annoyed we were not informed of this until we phoned reception to complain. We were moved to one of their newly refurbished rooms for our second night - lovely room. However, I would still recommend this hotel for the location. The breakfast is excellent, with very good service in the dining room. This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their refurbished rooms, which are lovely. Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel, the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. You will be please to know that the hotel will be under-going an extensive refurbishment from September. Further details can be found on the hotel’s website. I was disappointed to hear about the problem with the water, however glad that the team were able to move you to another room. The hotel’s location is fabulous and together with the stylish public areas, the hotel does offer guests an experience of Cambridge.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is situated perfectly between the station and colleges. all in walking distance. Rooms are spacious & clean. Breakfast is extensive. Hotel breathes a classical atmosphere but could use some updating here and there. Will close later this year until 2016 for refurbishment!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and your kind comments. The University Arms does hold a special place in the history of Cambridge. It is Cambridge’s oldest hotel, and has grown and evolved in line with Cambridge’s expansion as a City. On the 28th September it will close it’s doors for a two year extensive refurbishment. The plan will be to transform the disparate buildings that the hotel currently comprises into a cohesively designed, landmark hotel that will give Cambridge much-needed and best in class hotel facilities with excellent new hotel rooms, a destination restaurant, bar, gym and conference facilities. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel, if not before, in 2016!

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the University Arms 3 times since April. This is booked through my company for business so I have little choice. If I did, I would not book here at all and would never choose to stay here. It is apparently quite cheap in price for the central position it has in Cambridge.

I have had 3 varied rooms in size but all have been in need of a complete overhaul. Carpets are threadbare in places, black in the bottom of the toilet, frayed and grubby net curtains, worn furniture, wallpaper coming off walls, mould in corners of bathroom....I could go on. Generally the place doesn't feel that clean which can make for an uncomfortable stay.

Parking is £16 at the hotel for 24 hrs.

The only saving grace is the food served in the hotel bar which is quite good and reasonably priced. Although the service is hit and miss.

I would not recommend this hotel unless you are not bothered about standards and just want a cheap hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank clareandkeith

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that the hotel room did not meet your expectations, however am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, and will pass on your comments the kitchen brigade. On the 28th September the hotel will close it’s doors for a two year extensive refurbishment. The plan will be to transform the disparate buildings that the hotel currently comprises into a cohesively designed, landmark hotel that will give Cambridge much-needed and best in class hotel facilities with excellent new hotel rooms, a destination restaurant, bar, gym and conference facilities. We hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel after the refurbishment.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Excellent location puts all attractions in walking distance and lovely views over Parkers Piece. Room great size and very comfortable. Fantastic vintage lift. Staff helpful and friendly. Yes, agree some areas are a little tired and need decorating but it was FAR better than I expected based on some of the reviews. I would happily return.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Laura R

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that enjoyed your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that the staff were helpful and friendly. I will certainly feed this back to them, as it is though comments such as yours that motivate and encourage them to provide such a high level of service.
Thank you again.