“Terrible customer service”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I never write reviews but this honestly warranted one. We booked three hotel rooms to stay to in Cambridge. When we arrived the lady allocated us three rooms - the first one my daughter walked into AND THERE WAS SOMEONE IN BED IN THE ROOM which apart from being distressing for both parties, is also distressing for security reasons. The receptionist tried to imply that this was our fault, which was delusional given the card only worked for the room she had told us. We were also given two twin rooms when we had paid for queen rooms. The hotel staff were most unhelpful and seemed annoyed that they would have to push the beds together (could not change our rooms). When my daughter returned to the hotel later to get a new key, he simply gave her a new key without any checks to make sure that she was actually a guest. The rooms themselves are okay, and the location is fine but further out than you think. The ONLY redeeming feature was the breakfast, although the staff were pretty useless there too. All in all a lot more hassle than it was worth.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline G
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Caroline

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was sorry to hear of the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that the situation has been addressed with the individual concerned and procedures re-iterated to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel once it has been refurbished in two years time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Cambridge
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We attended a wedding reception at this hotel. Old fashioned decor, desperately needs updating. Drinks were overpriced, £8 glass of house wine, £6 pint of lager!!
The worst thing was the attitude of the management, the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Several guests got £100 parking fines for staying the the hotel car park and staff not interested. Would never recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Hi2kec
Christine G, Sales and Marketing at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Hi2kec

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on reception, and I am sorry that you were charged for parking in the car park, although we do have 11 signs displaying the charges and procedures in the car park. The beer prices are charged as the below tariff, so I am un-sure why you were charged more:
Beck’s Vier £4.10
Stella Artoi £4.30
Stella Artois Black £4.50
Guinness £4.10
Boddingtons £4.00

Wine is charged as below;
House wine - Bottle £19.00 • 175ml Glass £4.50 • 250ml Glass £6.50. You may have had an upgraded wine which do cost more.

Just to let you know also, as Kelly has explained in her e-mail to you, the Bride and Groom were informed that all guests must register their car registration details with reception as soon as they arrived at the hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'm not a reviewing kind of guy, but I was so disappointed with The University Arms I'm feeling properly compelled to get something out there. I grew up in Cambridge and always saw The University Arms as this iconic, grand, opulent building - prominent and well located on the corner of Parkers Piece. Easily Cambridge's grandest hotel (from the outside), this seemed like the perfect 'treat' hotel for us to stay in on our return for a bit of a reunion. (For 'treat' read pretty expensive but must be worth it, right?)
Well, my expectations were properly squashed last weekend. The entrance is through an ugly car park. The decor is tired and incredibly dated. The lobby smelt wrong - certainly not a welcoming smell...just kind of 'off'. The air-con doesn't work, anywhere. The bathroom fittings require a good scrub. The bedroom was....well, it was just old. It certainly wasn't dirty or unclean but it sort of felt dirty and unclean. To be fair, finding one of our complimentary biscuit packets open with a half-eaten biscuit inside kind of set the standard for me. The bed was comfortable though.
And breakfast. Meh. It was ok. I must say though that the busboy's technique of resetting tables by taking the card menus from the table and loudly scraping off the crumbs onto the floor and chair seats (but not then brushing off the chair seats) was a style any top hotel that sets high standards would be proud of (!).
Overall - over-priced and desperate for someone to take hold and inject pride into the various teams. I'm aware that the place is closing later this year for a two year refurb. which is great news. Just such a shame that it feels like they've given up already.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matt B
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
I am so sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do get very mixed reviews at the moment. It is a very busy time for the city in terms of demand, and you will therefore, without a doubt, find us the most reasonably priced in the city. With regards to your comments regarding the staff at breakfast, I will, of course pass these on as these are just training issues which you can be assured, will be addressed. Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that you will return to the hotel once it has been refurbished.
milano
Reviewed 6 July 2014

this hotel is ok.. it's not as terrible as i read in some reviews but it wasn't worthy the money we paid for.
The air cond was broken and it was boiling hot; vent in the bathroom didn't work and it was again really hot.
Very dated, I would say it's a very average 3 star

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. This is the busiest time of year for Cambridge, with the Tour De France and Graduations. The hotel is located so centrally to everything that is going on, that the demand for its rooms is very high, however, I am sure you will find that we are the most reasonably priced in the city.
Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. August is a little bit quieter, and our rates reflect the demand!
Louisville
Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you are visiting the university and looking for a nice place to stay, DO NOT stay here. We thought we were investing in a 4 star quality hotel. We were looking for air conditioning (for July), good location for walking distance to schools and restaurants, and a nice quality room.

When we checked in, there was a high school prom going on. Not kidding...

Randomness aside, we got to our room and it had an old, musty feeling. It was cleaned, but the room itself was old and felt dirty. The window was facing a soccer field and it was loud and warm. The AC unit was broken. We called the front desk to ask if we could switch to another room and it turns out none of the AC worked...

We were on the third floor and the elevator is from 1927- one with a metal gate, looks like it is right off the Titanic- charming at first- annoying when actually try to use it with lots of luggage.

The staff was nice enough but all of them spoke English as their second language and were very young. Not the experience we were looking for.

The "free wifi" only worked in the corner of our room where the luggage was supposed to sit, so we had to sit in that corner in order of the room to use the internet.

All in all, it felt like the kind of place we would stay while backpacking in college- a step up from a hostel- but for what this hotel charges, insane!

After one night, we checked out and moved to the Cambridge City Hotel right around the corner- which we HIGHLY recommend and was cheaper!!!

• Stayed July 2014
I am sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. Just to clarify a couple of things though. The hotel is not listed as a four star, however do let us know if you see anywhere and we will amend this. The hotel is a corporate hotel, offering the best banqueting facilities in the city with the fabulous Ballroom and its oak-panelled walls and outlooks onto the historic Parker’s Piece. Just to clarify also, the”soccer field” it is not – it is a famous bit of parkland, called Parker’s Piece, where all sorts of historic events have taken place. Whilst guests have enjoyed the quirky historic lift dating back to 1927, I am sorry that you found it annoying. All in all, I think you are more suited to the modern, purpose build hotels, rather than the 200 year historic Cambridge University Arms.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff here are absolutely superb, I had no issues checking in. Prior to arrival I noticed them of a disability, and they just went out of the way to help, I can't fault them. The only problem was the air conditioning was broken due to some problems with the system and the fan provided barely made any difference. This did leave the room hot even with the fan on full strength. The only fault appeared in the morning I could get no hot water for the shower for 10-20 minutes when I had it in the sink. The staff said they'd look into that. The other issue was no help was offered with a plate at breakfast and when I told them the mushrooms seemed cold the whole mushroom plate from the hot plate went almost like there was a missed problem. I can't fault bar staff they recognised me when I visited the bar and I really am impressed but the duty manager seemed to agree they could have done better at breakfast. I can say Andrew the afternoon duty manager can't be faulted - he is one of the best staff in the team there and I'm really impressed with his awareness of the assistance people with disability need. I think the stay would have been far better with working air conditioning but considering they close end of September for a two year refurbishment things like this are understandable.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will pass them onto the staff members, as it is through these motivating, positive comments that remind us of why we work in the hospitality industry. The employees at the University Arms Hotel work give to make all guest’s stay as enjoyable and memorable as they can. There is a problem with the air-conditioning units, however this will be rectified with the refurbishment plan that is scheduled for September. I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future and I thank you again for your feedback on the hotel.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I am a 16 year old girl who had their prom at the hotel in July. After much anticipation, I was left feeling very let down. At first the disappointment started with many of the dishes we had pre ordered being removed from the menu, and then them running out of the other choices. Considering we had preordered I was very disappointed. When my main course turned up I had the chicken, when this arrived the carrots were dry, shrivelled and hard and the broccoli was raw. I spoke to the waitress, who was foreign who's response was "I don't know" and this demonstrated she had no clue about the procedures of the Hotel. I spoke to someone higher up the chain who just showed no interest and said she'd tell the chef, offering no solution to my cold, sub-standard food. I felt that because I was young my complaint was dismissed without any real consideration.
The ballroom is small with a dance floor that is too small for the room making it difficult to dance and things got very hectic. Overall, for the price we paid for a much anticipated leavers ball which we had done a lot of fundraising for, we were left feeling disappointed and I would not reccomend it at all.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Aisljng
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel and your function. We take all guest feedback very seriously, however I would like to say that we received a thank you card today from the organiser to say it had been the best dinner ever. Vegetables can be quite difficult to serve to the individual’s satisfaction as often the chef likes to cook a little Al dente to retain their flavour and nutrients, however, being a mother of three, I know that my children like them over-cooked. Difficult one, however, I must say, you are the only one that I know of, from a party of over 100 guests that had any problems. The Ballroom is the largest hotel banqueting suite in the city centre, so I am not sure what venue you would find better to meet your demands? Anyway, aside from this enjoy your summer holidays.