University Arms Cambridge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$246
  • Room Service
US$226
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$168
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$120
HIExpress.com
Hotel Felix(Cambridge)
US$158
Hotels.com
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$111
  • Pool
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelodge
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$209
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2008

I went to this hotel last saturday with a group of people for bar food. It was about 2.30 in the afternoon.The service was incredibly slow and the food poor. Orders were mixed up.

One of our group was having soup. It arrived cold and the butter accompanying the bread was rock hard. The soup was sent back and when fresh soup came (eventually) it was with half baked "doughy" bread and again rock hard butter. After discussion (which was difficult as none of the bar staff spoke english as a first language) some brown bread was produced which was freezing to the touch, having obviously been just taken from a fridge.

It was like something out of faulty towers. I am not surprised that the place was practically empty. However, the receptionist was friendly and helpfull in calling taxis.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I recently stayed at the University Arms hotel on business. After reading some of the reviews on TA, I was a bit nervous, but found the hotel and staff to be quite lovely.

The room (rm 114) was spacious and clean. There was a balcony overlooking a very nice park, where games of soccer happened throughout the day. The bathroom was large and clean as well. I found the bed to be very comfortable, and had two great nights' sleep.

Breakfast was excellent - the staff were attentive and polite, and the spread was fantastic - the cold buffet included fresh fruit, cereal and juice, and the hot food was made to order. I enjoyed the full english breakfast on my first day, and scrambled eggs with bacon on the second day. Delicious!

In short, I would definitely stay at the University Arms again. The location is convenient to shops, tourist attractions, and the city center.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JMSoule
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Having stayed at De Vere hotels before, we were expecting their usual high standard, but were extremely disappointed.

When we arrived the Hotel could not find our booking for the first night - even though they confirmed that they had our credit card details from when we called to confirm the booking. We had to wait for over half an hour to be found a room, only to find when we went in (at 4.30 in the afternoon) that it had not been cleaned from the previous occupants. Bed unmade, towels on the floor, bins full and a very musty smell.

We went back down to reception for a further 15 minute wait to be given keys to another room. We had booked an executive room, but there were none available. The second room we were given, whilst at least it had been cleaned, was small, overlooking the air conditioning units at the back of the hotel ( when we had specifically reserved a room with a view over the field to the side of the hotel.) Wallpaper was peeling off the walls, a large water stain on the ceiling, the curtains didnt fit the windows properly and the floor in the bathroom was stained, particularly around the toilet, with something I would prefer not to detail here... We asked to be moved again but were told that the hotel was now full.

We then found that our room was over the function room, by a note pushed under the door after we had checked in, and so had the music from a wedding disco pounding into our room until 1 in the morning - we would have requested to change rooms again but had quite frankly lost the will to complain any further by this point.

The only good thing about the hotel was the breakfast which was in a nice room and was well prepared - although the service was laughable we had to move table three times in the space of 10 minutes on the first morning.

If we were paying in the region of around £60-70 a night then I would have been fairly relaxed but at a "special" rate for guests of the wedding of £135 a night the standard of roooms and service was unbelievably poor - would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2008

when we arrived the Hotel looked fantastic from outside and the immediate inside,i had paid to upgrade our room and when we arrived it was on the top floor facing over the green,a smallish batroom with a whirlpool bath which didnt work and part of the jet was missing,the bathroom blind was broken and you could only wind and unwind it by hand ,standing on the toilet!
Toiletries were only enought for 1 person(and 1 flannel)
The comfort tray was only enough for 1 person
The iron leaked when used
Two lamps were hanging off the walls with wires exposed,1 where the lampshade was also frayed.
The bedside reading light did not work and not for the want of my boyfriend trying to swap all the bulbs round,so i had to read with the main light on in bed!
The windows didnt open or close properly.
Very noisey outside with local students sitting drinking on the gree untill the early hours of the morning.
Bed terribly uncomfatable.
We wrote all this down and on our way to breakfast i handed this to the receptionist,who said"oh dear,ill pass this on to the duty manager"
Breakfast was terrible,with staff being very busy,orders taken wrongly,arriving seperatly and some of it not turning up,we got up and left!!!
On checking out the receptionist said that the Parking fee (£14)had been wavered due to the problems we had had,i still wasnt happy with this and wrote an e-mail to deveres stating all the problems with the room,it wasnt aknowledged so i sent it to deveres head quarters(previous had been sent to University Arms)and the reply i got was that it is being refurbished etc etc,and they would accomadate a special occasion if i had one.

I have stayed in 2 devere hotels before "the grand Harbour"(portsmouth)and The mill and Swan" minster Lovell,both were fantastic,minster lovell being my favourite with fab food and great rooms and location with fantastic scenery.

University Arms was such a let down for A 4* Hotel and you would have thought it was more of a 2* hotel.
I was glad to see the back of it,and am now deciding whether to ask for my money back or to ask if i can be accomadated at "the swan and mill"for 2 nights instead!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ClareHair
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We got a deal through travel zoo this hotel - bed, breakfast, 3 course dinner and picnic and punt on the river for £120 per night. Very reasonable.

The hotel claims to be 4*, however the room we had was very dated (although large) and the hotel has no leisure facilities.

The punt on the river was fantastic and no-doubt the best thing about the trip as Cambridge is a stunning town. The picnic we were given was a shambles. We were supposed to have been sent a form to pre-book the picnic but that never arrived. My partner then had to ring and book over the phone. The picnic that was given to us contained NOTHING that had been ordered. Luckily there was a cream cheese sandwhich (again cheese and pickle had been ordered) as my partner is vegeterian. I had smoked salmon which was lovely but not the tuna Id ordered.

As it was my birthday, my partner had bought champagne to drink while getting ready for dinner, he ordered glasses to be delivered to the room and they never showed up.

Dinner was in fact 2 courses and coffee and there was one vegeterian option on the menu. The gnocchi was barely edible (mushy??).

We had drinks later in the hotel bar, one of mine had to be returned. Id ordered a Bellini and this arrived warm and flat!!

As we were feeling a little indulgent we decided to pay the extra £3 for breakfast in the room. The menu to order was very confusing to pre-order and again no vegeterian option. When this was delivered in the morning it came with no cutlery!!!! By the time this arrived my breakfast was cold!!!

I know it was a complete bargain but I think 4* is a slight mis-representation and service leaves a lot to be desired.

Very central location is about the best thing I have to say!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple