“Tired and Jaded” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
UK
“Tired and Jaded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

I booked this hotel as it is in a prime location and within walking distance to my business at Trinity College.. I was staying with a colleague for 2 nights and as we were arriving late I had telephoned he hotel to inform of the time of arrival. My calls seemed to be diverted to other parts of the hotel but was successful on the third attempt. Arriving at 10.30ish we were politelty dealt with at reception and I went to my room to attire for the night. I found the room extremely cold but assumed the heating had gone off for the night. Not so, it was like a fridge in the morning when I awoke wih no heat from the radiator. I complained at reception and the receptionist was most apologetic and promised a better room for my second night. I was provided with a rather grand room No. 117 (Emmanuel Room) overlooking Parker's Piece - a large room with king bed and ensuite. At least it was warm the heat source not from the central heating radiator but an electric oil filled radiator. My colleague had a similar arrangement in his room. We presumed the central heating was not working.
Breakfast was good with a buffet serving juices, croissants and fresh fruit with full English and a decent pot of tea served at the table.
Throughout the hotel I found all staff to be courteous and polite especially those on reception.
I paid £91 per night (a discounted rate) which included breakfast. I also paid £14 per night for car parking.
It seems a terrible shame that the decoration of the hotel seemed so tired and jaded and in need of total refurbishment especially as the staff seemed to work so hard to make the stay enjoyable and the fact that the hotel is in such a prime position with all the joys of Cambridge within walking distance. . .

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

This hotel is in dire need of renovation, especially rooms on the first floor. Third floor rooms are ok. Insist on seeing a few rooms before accepting one. Negotiate on the price.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

I should have worried when no accommodation pictures appear on this De Veres site. Our first room was not fit to stay in.. It had a bare lightbulb on the wall where a fitting was missing - Tiles on the bathroom floor also missing - Holes in the wall where something had been removed - Room extremely Musty - Reception was not alarmed at my reports and gave me another room on request which was not much better.(heating wasn't working).

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Londonliason
Brighton, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

The hotel is located very centrally which is great.
However, the hotel itself really needs a makeover, the furniture and fittings are very poor. It is like going back in time and not in a good way. It is the worst of old england some thirty years ago.
At breakfast I asked for an espresso and received a blank look. No espresso.
I also ordered an Independent newspaper and received a Daily Express.
4 stars, surely that must be wrong.
Negotiate a cheap rate and it is ok to stay centrally.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
birmingham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

Last minute cheapo deal - £59 per night including breakfast, for 2 - was excellent value, particularly as we were upgraded to a huge room overlooking the Piece. Maybe some updating due, but enormous bed very comfortable and everything was spotless. Substantial breakfast, but it wouldn't have been worth the set charge of £14.50 per head. Very limited availability for parking and then charged at £14 per night. Staff all very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

I am currently staying in this hotel for business purposes. On arriving I initially felt a little intimidated by the impressive entrance hall and big chandeliers.

The man on reception didn't give me the warmest welcome - he pretty much implied that I wasn't smart enough to dine in their restaurant (I was wearing jeans and a smart jumper!).

My room is ok, although very old fashioned. I don't think it gets cleaned very well because when I moved the tray with the kettle on so that I could use the des for work there was a big sticky patch all around it. Unfortunately I am directly above the extractor fan for the restaurant below so it is as if a large lorry is sitting outside my room with its engine on all night!

The curetains are falling off the rail, and there is also a huge rip in the sheets on the bed! I was too tired to do anything about it on the first night, but when the housekeeping staff happened to knock on my door when I was in the next day I mentioned it and they said they would change the sheets. Unfortunately when I next got back, they had just left new sheets for me to change myself!

When I went to breakfast this morning, the breakfast room was freezing but I suppose understandable as it is cold outside and it is a large room. At that time in the morning there were more staff then guests so you would have thought that they would be fairly attentive, but didn't even bring me milk with my tea. Also, the carpet was coming up and was a huge trip hazard (they had clearly tried to tape it down, but this has not worked!).

This hotel is adequate. The location is very central so excellent, but the staff have an attitude as if they are a top class hotel which they clearly are not. Luckily I am not paying the rates here as I am on business but I would be very disappointed if I was - it's not cheap!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

A lovely hotel... Very old school but the rooms are quite clean and looks brand new.

Stayed February 2010, travelled solo