University Arms Cambridge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cambridge
See available hotels
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
  • Room Service
Fenners Hotel(Cambridge)
Centennial Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This hotel is in such a convenient location in the centre of Cambridge, with the Art House cinema almost across the road and plenty of restaurants near by. My room is not big but its quiet and clean and the bed is enormous. The views across Parker's Piece as you eat breakfast (which was good) are lovely and I imagine the rooms on that side of the hotel must be nice. It's not posh but its quietly quality and the staff are very helpful. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had paid the full rate. I might have noticed the slightly peeling wallpaper a bit more.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We had only one night as we wanted a hotel close to the centre of Cambridge as we only had time for a quick visit. I had booked using the internet and later read some negative reviews so we were a little concerned about this stay. The hotel far exceeded our expectations and we would recommend it warmly to others. The room was comfortable and well appointed, serviced by a quaint elevator. The buffet breakfast in the dining room overlooking a common with people cycling to town was excellent both in food and ambience.
Our proximity to the town centre meant that we could use our time to see as much as possible of the colleges and river and shops.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I chose this hotel for its central location but that is the only thing it has going for it! The hotel is extremely dated (rooms with fleur de lys wallpaper-peeling off , huge old fashioned TV's, grubby chintz curtains and worn carpets) and quite depressing. Such a pity because, with a major refurb it could be amazing with beautiful views etc. Breakfast was rubbery fried eggs, sloppy scramled eggs, watery baked beans. Not a pleasant experience. The Doubletree, although more expensive (and not perfect in itself) is a better bet, but Cambridge could definitely do with some more nice hotels!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank JChisley
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The hotel itself is relatively large and functional, set in a convenient central location. It seemed more geared to those staying for business rather than for leisure. Rooms were merely adequate. There were a couple of minor incidents during the stay which would normally pass without comment and were certainly not significant enough to ruin our stay – e.g. the waiter giving us an out-of-date menu and then spilling the wine over the table; the barman who had no idea how to make a very simple aperitif (Kir Royal) and then got quite defensive when I told him how to make it (in the event he didn’t have any Crème de cassis anyway); the waitress who asked us at breakfast if we wanted her to get us some extra hot water for our tea, and when we said, “yes please”, didn’t bring any! However, it was the hotel trying to charge us twice that ruined our stay. When checking in I pointed out that we had pre-paid for the room and produced the email which clearly stated “This booking has been pre-paid” with the booking reference, amounts, etc. Despite this the receptionist somehow got it into her head that the room had in fact not been pre-paid. I asked her to check their records and went up to our room in the expectation that she would locate the relevant records. Just to be sure, a little later as we were on our way through the foyer, I checked with another receptionist who confirmed that payment had indeed been received. Imagine my surprise then when, the following morning, the bill showed a charge for the room. When I again queried this, the receptionist (yes the same one who booked us in) first tried to fob me off with frankly incredible stories in an attempt to explain away why she was still refusing to accept that payment had already been made. When I refused to accept her unconvincing explanations I was made to feel as though the hotel thought that I was trying to pull a fast one which I found embarrassing and demeaning. It was only after I decided to call my credit card company who confirmed that the payment had been made (over a month before) that the hotel finally accepted that they were wrong. Even then it was sort of grudging. That was until I mentioned tripadvisor! Suddenly, they were very apologetic. Too late.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The University Arms yet again came up trumps. We always stay in Cambridge when visiting our daughter.We have stayed in all 4 & 5 star hotels in Cambridge,whilst they have all there own individual characters, from the first stay in University Arms we would not stay anywhere else.The food ,The Staff, the ambience is second to none.A bar meal looking over Parkers Piece watching the world go by is all I need.Well Done yet again

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple