“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I purchased a voucher from Groupon for afternoon tea at The Royal Cambridge Hotel, hoping that it would be a lovely experience for a very special group of friends. Whilst I completely understand that Groupon deals can be varied, the experience did leave a little to be desired. The hotel, although well placed, did have an air of past grandeur and the tea lacked the finese that the advertisement had promised. Sliced shop bought Angel cake presented on a separate plate did nothing to complement the rest of the tea (there was plenty of jam and cream for the scones). We made the best of the opportunity but the price that was charged for the full price teas was not reflected in the experience we recieved.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SueMBrads
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear SueMBrads
Thank you for your post following your afternoon tea with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention.
Stewart Rushton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hungarian first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are tired and old.

Dirty rooms.

No power sockets are working

Shower not good.

TV not working.

Window frame rotten.

Trouser press broken.

Please is expensive for what u are getting. Would not recommend to anyone. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonnycoop1
Dear Jonnycoop1
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. My reception manager was not aware of your complaints, if you would like to let me know directly which room you stayed in I can address these matters. I can be contacted at gm.cambridge@forestdale.com
Stewart Rushton

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed here with a groupon deal that overall made it really good value. Upon arrival reception staff were welcoming and friendly. The location is excellent - just a few minutes to the centre of town or to the river Cam. Twin room was functional and decor looked fine at first glance. Upon closer inspection you start to notice the torn carpet, the wonky fittings in the bathroom and general signs of wear and tear. Asked for extra pillows and reported a light that wasn't working, and these were dealt with by reception in a professional manner - the person I spoke to didn't make me feel like I was being a pain mentioning these things, which is great. We had a meal included on the first night. Unfortunately for us there was also a party booked in so we couldn't eat until after 8.15. This wasn't a problem and we booked for 8.30. Unfortunately the food wasn't good - lukewarm, overcooked, and looked and tasted like it had been out for hours, just being kept warm, especially the vegetables. This was a shame as I think it had potential to be good, and was presented well. There only appeared to be one waiter - I think all the other staff must have been caught up serving the party downstairs, so service was slow and he looked rushed and stressed. My desert was not what was on the menu, and was replaced without complaint when I pointed this out - but also without apology, which is a shame. Also no-one asked how the food had been, possibly because they knew what the answer would be!? Breakfast was an ok standard, but no-one tells you what to do, just takes your room number and leaves you to it. On the first morning, I asked for hot drinks, and the waiter kindly got them, but explained that it was self-service - if I had known I would have got them! Then on the second morning I helped myself to hot drinks and then a waiter came to ask and looked disapproving that I had helped myself. I couldn't seem to get it right. A mixture of good qualities and some areas for improvement - but in order to pay full price I would expect a big improvement. It was only ok because we were there on a reduced price.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back, which I was grateful for as the road outside the front of the hotel is qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joanne C
Dear Joanne C
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. I am pleased that our location was convenient and the team friendly.
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Reception area looked good. Great location. We were on the 3rd floor, so had to use the lift for 2 floors, then use the stairs. Frist impression of room - a great size as was the bathroom. However, the curtains had holes and tears in them, the wallpaper was torn and had water stains all along the skirting board and the room was very hot. Outside in the corridor, the wallpaper etc was definitely dingy and the worse for wear. Although there was a two settee, you could not watch TV from it so two chairs rather than just one would be great. You would not then have to move the settee to sit together and watch TV. A fridge would also be a welcome addition as many medications and general requirements require being kept in a fridge. Car park expenses are quite high and the Saturday newspaper we ordered was not delivered.

Breakfast was OK but rolls as well as sliced bread would be appreciated as would the addition of sliced cheese and cold meats.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deirdre G
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Deirdre G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Really: keep looking, you'll find somewhere better. Yes, the location is good but the rooms are extremely tired and dingy, frankly not very clean, there's no service to be had anywhere near the bar or breakfast buffet, and it is completely overpriced. Looks great from the outside, but... you won't want to look too closely at the floors/surfaces in the rooms, let alone touch the soft furnishings...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rwmc_12
Dear rwmc_12
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and while we are a traditional hotel note your comments regarding the overall fabric and I will review your comments with our external cleaning contractor.
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Went today for Sunday lunch on a groupon voucher. Had read the earlier reviews and was a little worried. No need. The food and service were excellent . We were very well looked after from start to finish. All staff were polite and very efficient . House red wine was very nice. The roast pork was excellent and plentiful . No problems with the roast potatoes and the veg was perfect. Only one minor fault, no apple sauce. They have obviously took on board earlier comments and acted on them. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul G
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Paul G
Thank you for the posting following your lunch with us and your positive comments regarding the food and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Cambridge again.