“Great potential, but very dated. Overall an average stay”

Royal Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Washington, DC
“Great potential, but very dated. Overall an average stay”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall assessment: Despite the dated interior, with a very good rate, may be worth a stay due to the location and excellent staff.

The greatest benefits of the hotel are the location and the staff. Every staff member I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. I arrived a bit early, but the clerk was able to get a room for me with minimal wait time. In the evening after returning to the hotel, I decided to have a drink at the bar. The bar staff were also warm and extremely accommodating - happy to help me with a special request. The next morning, I needed to catch a bus to head to London. In a rush, I ordered some food from the restaurant. Since time was short, they wrapped the sandwich for me and bagged it to go. Again, extremely helpful and friendly. The location is also quite nice being within walking distance to city center and loads of other restaurants and shopping nearby.

The only negative of the hotel is that it is in serious need of renovations. I have stayed at many hotels over the years, including hotels in very remote locations in Africa and Asia, so perhaps my assessment may be in a broader context, but the hotel itself has such great potential. The exterior of the building and layout of the interior space is quite nice overall. However, the interior fixtures and furnishings are in definite need of an update. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the beds are old, the carpet and furniture worn with use, and the bathroom, while cleaned by staff, felt dated and dirty due to the years of use without renovation.

Unfortunately, these are not issues that hotel staff can do anything about. It was evident the rooms were prepared and cleaned by staff, but no amount of cleaning will help a bed that's too old, or windows, carpets and bathtub that need to be replaced.

If the owners/management company of the hotel invested a bit of money to perform renovations, this could be an amazing hotel. As it is, I would likely only return with an extremely good rate.

Unfortunately, despite the location and excellent staff, the normal rate is not realistic in light of the condition of the interior.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear biomanxii
Thank you for your recent post. It is always nice to receive positive comments especially about the team that work very hard to get things right. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotels convenient location worked for you. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again then we can welcome you back
Stewart Rushton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The 24hr reception was useful as I had to check in at 11.30pm but the hotel immediately struck me as old fashioned & tired - very chintzy. The room (209) was a good size for a single but as soon as I got into bed I knew it wasn't going to be a comfortable night's sleep. Every spring could be felt through the mattress & considering the only reason I was staying was because after a 12hr day at work I could't get a train out of Cambridge, this was extremely disappointing.

The room was clean enough but the shower was very weak & took about 5 minutes to warm up beyond lukewarm. On departure I told the receptionist my concerns about the bed and she thanked me for bringing it to her attention but no recompense offered beyond that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NeenLondon
Dear NeenLondon
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. I am pleased the 24 hour reception and cleanliness were positive
Stewart Rushton

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I purchased a voucher from Groupon for afternoon tea at The Royal Cambridge Hotel, hoping that it would be a lovely experience for a very special group of friends. Whilst I completely understand that Groupon deals can be varied, the experience did leave a little to be desired. The hotel, although well placed, did have an air of past grandeur and the tea lacked the finese that the advertisement had promised. Sliced shop bought Angel cake presented on a separate plate did nothing to complement the rest of the tea (there was plenty of jam and cream for the scones). We made the best of the opportunity but the price that was charged for the full price teas was not reflected in the experience we recieved.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SueMBrads
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear SueMBrads
Thank you for your post following your afternoon tea with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are tired and old.

Dirty rooms.

No power sockets are working

Shower not good.

TV not working.

Window frame rotten.

Trouser press broken.

Please is expensive for what u are getting. Would not recommend to anyone. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonnycoop1
Dear Jonnycoop1
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. My reception manager was not aware of your complaints, if you would like to let me know directly which room you stayed in I can address these matters. I can be contacted at gm.cambridge@forestdale.com
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed here with a groupon deal that overall made it really good value. Upon arrival reception staff were welcoming and friendly. The location is excellent - just a few minutes to the centre of town or to the river Cam. Twin room was functional and decor looked fine at first glance. Upon closer inspection you start to notice the torn carpet, the wonky fittings in the bathroom and general signs of wear and tear. Asked for extra pillows and reported a light that wasn't working, and these were dealt with by reception in a professional manner - the person I spoke to didn't make me feel like I was being a pain mentioning these things, which is great. We had a meal included on the first night. Unfortunately for us there was also a party booked in so we couldn't eat until after 8.15. This wasn't a problem and we booked for 8.30. Unfortunately the food wasn't good - lukewarm, overcooked, and looked and tasted like it had been out for hours, just being kept warm, especially the vegetables. This was a shame as I think it had potential to be good, and was presented well. There only appeared to be one waiter - I think all the other staff must have been caught up serving the party downstairs, so service was slow and he looked rushed and stressed. My desert was not what was on the menu, and was replaced without complaint when I pointed this out - but also without apology, which is a shame. Also no-one asked how the food had been, possibly because they knew what the answer would be!? Breakfast was an ok standard, but no-one tells you what to do, just takes your room number and leaves you to it. On the first morning, I asked for hot drinks, and the waiter kindly got them, but explained that it was self-service - if I had known I would have got them! Then on the second morning I helped myself to hot drinks and then a waiter came to ask and looked disapproving that I had helped myself. I couldn't seem to get it right. A mixture of good qualities and some areas for improvement - but in order to pay full price I would expect a big improvement. It was only ok because we were there on a reduced price.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back, which I was grateful for as the road outside the front of the hotel is qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joanne C
Dear Joanne C
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. I am pleased that our location was convenient and the team friendly.
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Reception area looked good. Great location. We were on the 3rd floor, so had to use the lift for 2 floors, then use the stairs. Frist impression of room - a great size as was the bathroom. However, the curtains had holes and tears in them, the wallpaper was torn and had water stains all along the skirting board and the room was very hot. Outside in the corridor, the wallpaper etc was definitely dingy and the worse for wear. Although there was a two settee, you could not watch TV from it so two chairs rather than just one would be great. You would not then have to move the settee to sit together and watch TV. A fridge would also be a welcome addition as many medications and general requirements require being kept in a fridge. Car park expenses are quite high and the Saturday newspaper we ordered was not delivered.

Breakfast was OK but rolls as well as sliced bread would be appreciated as would the addition of sliced cheese and cold meats.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deirdre G
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Deirdre G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Really: keep looking, you'll find somewhere better. Yes, the location is good but the rooms are extremely tired and dingy, frankly not very clean, there's no service to be had anywhere near the bar or breakfast buffet, and it is completely overpriced. Looks great from the outside, but... you won't want to look too closely at the floors/surfaces in the rooms, let alone touch the soft furnishings...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rwmc_12
Dear rwmc_12
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and while we are a traditional hotel note your comments regarding the overall fabric and I will review your comments with our external cleaning contractor.