“Great location, good for business meetings”

Royal Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel as we had 2 day business meeting .
The rooms look very traditional and are indeed in need of TLC, however the entire hotel somehow feels cosy and nice, bit on traditional side with flower carpets and wooden furniture. The windows are bit outdated and do not shut properly, I assume in April this is not an issue but in the winter it might be, I do hope they start the renovation soon.
We have had a dinner on the first evening at the hotel and the meal was very nice, also good choice of vegetarian meals. There is a parking on the premises, 8 GBP .
The breakfast is good, although the cappuccino could be better. There were nice varieties of tea, not just black tea, but also green and other tisane. There was no specific gluten free, celiac or any other vegan meal options for breakfast.
Meeting rooms are nice and spacious, with great windows that can be open for plenty of fresh air. We have had a working lunch and hotel has also accommodated people who were on different diets and even served gluten-free cake for them!
It is a hotel with great potential because it is at great location and also good size hotel that can become much more, especially once the rooms are modernized.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear DavisandCo
Thank you for your recent post. It is always nice to receive positive comments especially about the team. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotels convenient location worked for you as well as our ability to cater for a variety of dietary requirements. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again then we can welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Royal Cambridge Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very old Hotel but so is Cambridge. Lovely old features but badly needs maintenance.
Room small. Bad design of headboard and surround, hit elbows on sharp edges of side tables several times in night.
Carpets threadbare and stained.
Bathroom flooring, lino, very stained especially around toilet, not nice.
Meal o.k, not a big choice.
Staff friendly enough but seemed to be desperate to close bar incredibly early.
Not the place to go if you like a good atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms at back away from road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo B

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We rang to ask if we could arrive 2 hours early to change for a wedding - were told YES. Arrived at 12 but the previous guests in our room were an hour late checking out.
The receptionist then allocated us another better room !
The room was very clean with a comfy bed and yes a worn and slightly stained carpet.
I would rather have excellent service and worn carpets than a palace with poor service .
Thanks to all for a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank SuziQQ

Dear SuziQQ
Thank you for your recent post. It is always nice to receive positive comments especially about the team that work very hard to get things right. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotels convenient location worked for you. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again then we can welcome you back

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall assessment: Despite the dated interior, with a very good rate, may be worth a stay due to the location and excellent staff.

The greatest benefits of the hotel are the location and the staff. Every staff member I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. I arrived a bit early, but the clerk was able to get a room for me with minimal wait time. In the evening after returning to the hotel, I decided to have a drink at the bar. The bar staff were also warm and extremely accommodating - happy to help me with a special request. The next morning, I needed to catch a bus to head to London. In a rush, I ordered some food from the restaurant. Since time was short, they wrapped the sandwich for me and bagged it to go. Again, extremely helpful and friendly. The location is also quite nice being within walking distance to city center and loads of other restaurants and shopping nearby.

The only negative of the hotel is that it is in serious need of renovations. I have stayed at many hotels over the years, including hotels in very remote locations in Africa and Asia, so perhaps my assessment may be in a broader context, but the hotel itself has such great potential. The exterior of the building and layout of the interior space is quite nice overall. However, the interior fixtures and furnishings are in definite need of an update. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the beds are old, the carpet and furniture worn with use, and the bathroom, while cleaned by staff, felt dated and dirty due to the years of use without renovation.

Unfortunately, these are not issues that hotel staff can do anything about. It was evident the rooms were prepared and cleaned by staff, but no amount of cleaning will help a bed that's too old, or windows, carpets and bathtub that need to be replaced.

If the owners/management company of the hotel invested a bit of money to perform renovations, this could be an amazing hotel. As it is, I would likely only return with an extremely good rate.

Unfortunately, despite the location and excellent staff, the normal rate is not realistic in light of the condition of the interior.

Dear biomanxii

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The 24hr reception was useful as I had to check in at 11.30pm but the hotel immediately struck me as old fashioned & tired - very chintzy. The room (209) was a good size for a single but as soon as I got into bed I knew it wasn't going to be a comfortable night's sleep. Every spring could be felt through the mattress & considering the only reason I was staying was because after a 12hr day at work I could't get a train out of Cambridge, this was extremely disappointing.

The room was clean enough but the shower was very weak & took about 5 minutes to warm up beyond lukewarm. On departure I told the receptionist my concerns about the bed and she thanked me for bringing it to her attention but no recompense offered beyond that.

1  Thank NeenLondon

Dear NeenLondon
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. I am pleased the 24 hour reception and cleanliness were positive

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I purchased a voucher from Groupon for afternoon tea at The Royal Cambridge Hotel, hoping that it would be a lovely experience for a very special group of friends. Whilst I completely understand that Groupon deals can be varied, the experience did leave a little to be desired. The hotel, although well placed, did have an air of past grandeur and the tea lacked the finese that the advertisement had promised. Sliced shop bought Angel cake presented on a separate plate did nothing to complement the rest of the tea (there was plenty of jam and cream for the scones). We made the best of the opportunity but the price that was charged for the full price teas was not reflected in the experience we recieved.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SueMBrads
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear SueMBrads
Thank you for your post following your afternoon tea with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are tired and old.

Dirty rooms.

No power sockets are working

Shower not good.

TV not working.

Window frame rotten.

Trouser press broken.

Please is expensive for what u are getting. Would not recommend to anyone. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jonnycoop1

Dear Jonnycoop1
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. My reception manager was not aware of your complaints, if you would like to let me know directly which room you stayed in I can address these matters. I can be contacted at gm.cambridge@forestdale.com