“Good location, large room, but needs some renovation”

Royal Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The location of the hotel is very good. 10 minutes walk from the centre and 25 minutes walk from the railway station. The bar and reception area are both pleasant. Some real ale in the bar would be nice however.

My bedroom was large and comfortable. It overlooked the car park so was quiet. I note the earlier comments that the hotel bedrooms and corridors needs some renovation. This is true, but I think replacing just the carpets would go quite some way to improving the appearance. The slightly run down appearance is the reason I give this hotel a 3 rating rather than the 4 it would otherwise deserve.

Staff were efficient and friendly. I'd certainly stay there again if I had a business trip to Cambridge.

1  Thank TravelingCelt
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear TravelingCelt
Thank you for your posting following your stay with us. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay, the hotels convenient location and the friendliness of our team; I note your comments about our overall fabric. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again in 2014 then we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel has a great location in Cambridge for shops and sight seeing, we had a short weekend break I found the hotel very clean the staff where exceptional friendly the hotel may be a little tired but it has so much character which fits in with the location in the surrounding area
Liz Easterby

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank liz e
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear liz e
Thank you for your posting following your stay with us. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay, the hotels convenient location and the friendliness of our team. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again in 2014 then we can welcome you back.
sincerley

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a few weeks ago now, but my husband and I attended a week long course at this hotel. On the first day we decided to go with another delegate to the hotel restaurant for lunch. It did not seem particularly busy but when someone finally arrived to seat us we were asked if we from "downstairs." When we said yes we were ushered into the bar and given the bar menu. After a short while the gentleman came back and said that as we should have ordered lunch by 10.30 they could not serve us. I told him we had not been told of this but he was adamant the chef would not accommodate us. We took this back to the course coordinators who had no idea of this.

Unbeknown to us another delegate was in the bar at the same time and told us that after we left said gentleman asked him if he was from "downstairs" also, but grunted and walked away when he told him he was a resident. He apparently ate in the hotel in the evening and told us he was served Yorkshire pudding and vegetables obviously left over from lunch with his salmon. Needless to say we found alternatve eating places during the week.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Marion H

Dear Marion H
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. As part of the running order of your day the organiser had stated for meals to be ordered by delegates by 10.00am, this was part of the agreed contract. The member of staff has followed this strictly but I am in complete agreement that we should have been able to make something for you and let me apologise for that.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel as we had 2 day business meeting .
The rooms look very traditional and are indeed in need of TLC, however the entire hotel somehow feels cosy and nice, bit on traditional side with flower carpets and wooden furniture. The windows are bit outdated and do not shut properly, I assume in April this is not an issue but in the winter it might be, I do hope they start the renovation soon.
We have had a dinner on the first evening at the hotel and the meal was very nice, also good choice of vegetarian meals. There is a parking on the premises, 8 GBP .
The breakfast is good, although the cappuccino could be better. There were nice varieties of tea, not just black tea, but also green and other tisane. There was no specific gluten free, celiac or any other vegan meal options for breakfast.
Meeting rooms are nice and spacious, with great windows that can be open for plenty of fresh air. We have had a working lunch and hotel has also accommodated people who were on different diets and even served gluten-free cake for them!
It is a hotel with great potential because it is at great location and also good size hotel that can become much more, especially once the rooms are modernized.

Dear DavisandCo
Thank you for your recent post. It is always nice to receive positive comments especially about the team. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotels convenient location worked for you as well as our ability to cater for a variety of dietary requirements. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again then we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very old Hotel but so is Cambridge. Lovely old features but badly needs maintenance.
Room small. Bad design of headboard and surround, hit elbows on sharp edges of side tables several times in night.
Carpets threadbare and stained.
Bathroom flooring, lino, very stained especially around toilet, not nice.
Meal o.k, not a big choice.
Staff friendly enough but seemed to be desperate to close bar incredibly early.
Not the place to go if you like a good atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms at back away from road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo B

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We rang to ask if we could arrive 2 hours early to change for a wedding - were told YES. Arrived at 12 but the previous guests in our room were an hour late checking out.
The receptionist then allocated us another better room !
The room was very clean with a comfy bed and yes a worn and slightly stained carpet.
I would rather have excellent service and worn carpets than a palace with poor service .
Thanks to all for a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank SuziQQ

Dear SuziQQ
Thank you for your recent post. It is always nice to receive positive comments especially about the team that work very hard to get things right. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotels convenient location worked for you. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again then we can welcome you back

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall assessment: Despite the dated interior, with a very good rate, may be worth a stay due to the location and excellent staff.

The greatest benefits of the hotel are the location and the staff. Every staff member I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. I arrived a bit early, but the clerk was able to get a room for me with minimal wait time. In the evening after returning to the hotel, I decided to have a drink at the bar. The bar staff were also warm and extremely accommodating - happy to help me with a special request. The next morning, I needed to catch a bus to head to London. In a rush, I ordered some food from the restaurant. Since time was short, they wrapped the sandwich for me and bagged it to go. Again, extremely helpful and friendly. The location is also quite nice being within walking distance to city center and loads of other restaurants and shopping nearby.

The only negative of the hotel is that it is in serious need of renovations. I have stayed at many hotels over the years, including hotels in very remote locations in Africa and Asia, so perhaps my assessment may be in a broader context, but the hotel itself has such great potential. The exterior of the building and layout of the interior space is quite nice overall. However, the interior fixtures and furnishings are in definite need of an update. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the beds are old, the carpet and furniture worn with use, and the bathroom, while cleaned by staff, felt dated and dirty due to the years of use without renovation.

Unfortunately, these are not issues that hotel staff can do anything about. It was evident the rooms were prepared and cleaned by staff, but no amount of cleaning will help a bed that's too old, or windows, carpets and bathtub that need to be replaced.

If the owners/management company of the hotel invested a bit of money to perform renovations, this could be an amazing hotel. As it is, I would likely only return with an extremely good rate.

Unfortunately, despite the location and excellent staff, the normal rate is not realistic in light of the condition of the interior.

Dear biomanxii