“Very tired hotel”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Very tired hotel”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Royal Cambridge. It is very conveniently placed for the city centre and a stop just down the road for the open bus tour. I felt the hotel is desperately in need of updating. Our double bed base was disgusting many tea type stains which could easily have been hidden by a valance. We did however sleep well both nights mattress was firm but comfortable. The bathroom had holes in the floor beside pipe work and the shower was very weak. There was plenty of hot water. The decor is faded in many areas for example curtains and wallpaper. I will say the room was otherwise clean. The tea making facilities were the usual you would expect but not sited anywhere near a plug socket for the kettle. There was no information in the room re what the hotel had to offer or 'dos and don'ts. The cost for residents cars is £8 a day which I felt was on the high side as we were patrons. We didn't spend much time in the room taking advantage of the close proximity to the city and all it had to offer. The staff were very polite and efficient. The breakfast was buffet style, again adequate nothing special.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Birdie50
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Birdie50
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and the areas you highlighted that require attention. While we are a traditional hotel I note your comments regarding the overall fabric but I am pleased our location was excellent and the team a big positive.
Stewart Rushton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights and were not impressed. There are multiple reasons for choosing an other hotel:

* The bathroom was badly water damaged. The plumbing was constantly dripping water and the wood panel on the bathtub had soaked up enough water to look like a health hazard. Despite the obvious presence of water in the bathroom, the shower was all clogged up and did not impress (it didn't do much at all really).

* The bed was surprisingly small for a hotel. It's probably a standard British king size bed, but it is too small (seemed to be roughly 1.8m long and 1.2-1.4m wide) for average sized northern Europeans. It was even a bit too short for my girlfriend. The quality of the sprung mattress did not impress either, it felt like half of the springs were about to come out.

* The room lacked proper ventilation and had no AC. The only way of getting some well-needed fresh air into the room was through the single-glazed windows towards one of the bigger roads leading into the city. Needless to say, the choice was either noisy or stuffy and (slightly less) noisy. The corridors similarly lacked ventilation and smelled a bit like the boys dressing room in a high school gymnasium.

* Breakfast was over-prized and disappointing. The scrambled eggs were a boring dry yellow mass. The bacon was dry, it even tasted a bit off one morning.

There are however a few things favor of this hotel: the location, the staff, and the fact that it did not collapse upon us.

So would I recommend this hotel to anyone? No way! We spent a night at a much nicer hotel in central London with big air-conditioned rooms and a really good breakfast buffet for about £10 more per night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank asandberg
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear asandberg
Stewart Rushton

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just read the reviews of your hotel, my husband and I are once again coming to Cambridge to visit our son at University, Kings, (2 minutes down the road ). We have stayed at this hotel a few times and have always found it clean, welcoming,with very friendly staff and staff that are always accommodating.There has always on our visits been excellent food on offer at the breakfast, it has been hot,and enjoyable.We are once again coming to Cambridge with my aged in laws and would not even contemplate staying at this hotel if I felt it was unsuitable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mammy20
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear mammy20
Thank you for your posting following your previous stays with us. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay, the hotels convenient location and the friendliness of our team and breakfast; we look forward to welcoming you back.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Cons: dated decor, shower that took an age to warm up, mould in the bathroom.

Pros: close to centre of Cambridge, friendly and helpful staff, free wifi, surprisingly good scrambled egg for breakfast.

The Royal Cambridge desperately needs refurbishing. It's 20 - 30 years out of date. Sort that out and it would be a decent hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Uncle_badger
Thank you for your posting following your stay with us. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay, the hotels convenient location and the friendliness of our team; I note your comments about our overall fabric. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again in 2014 then we can welcome you back.
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The location of the hotel is very good. 10 minutes walk from the centre and 25 minutes walk from the railway station. The bar and reception area are both pleasant. Some real ale in the bar would be nice however.

My bedroom was large and comfortable. It overlooked the car park so was quiet. I note the earlier comments that the hotel bedrooms and corridors needs some renovation. This is true, but I think replacing just the carpets would go quite some way to improving the appearance. The slightly run down appearance is the reason I give this hotel a 3 rating rather than the 4 it would otherwise deserve.

Staff were efficient and friendly. I'd certainly stay there again if I had a business trip to Cambridge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelingCelt
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear TravelingCelt
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel has a great location in Cambridge for shops and sight seeing, we had a short weekend break I found the hotel very clean the staff where exceptional friendly the hotel may be a little tired but it has so much character which fits in with the location in the surrounding area
Liz Easterby

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank liz e
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear liz e
Thank you for your posting following your stay with us. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay, the hotels convenient location and the friendliness of our team. I do hope if you are returning to Cambridge again in 2014 then we can welcome you back.
sincerley
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a few weeks ago now, but my husband and I attended a week long course at this hotel. On the first day we decided to go with another delegate to the hotel restaurant for lunch. It did not seem particularly busy but when someone finally arrived to seat us we were asked if we from "downstairs." When we said yes we were ushered into the bar and given the bar menu. After a short while the gentleman came back and said that as we should have ordered lunch by 10.30 they could not serve us. I told him we had not been told of this but he was adamant the chef would not accommodate us. We took this back to the course coordinators who had no idea of this.

Unbeknown to us another delegate was in the bar at the same time and told us that after we left said gentleman asked him if he was from "downstairs" also, but grunted and walked away when he told him he was a resident. He apparently ate in the hotel in the evening and told us he was served Yorkshire pudding and vegetables obviously left over from lunch with his salmon. Needless to say we found alternatve eating places during the week.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Marion H
Dear Marion H
Thank you for your post following your stay with us. I am sorry that it was a mixed review and note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention. As part of the running order of your day the organiser had stated for meals to be ordered by delegates by 10.00am, this was part of the agreed contract. The member of staff has followed this strictly but I am in complete agreement that we should have been able to make something for you and let me apologise for that.