Royal Cambridge Hotel
Doubletree
  • Room Service
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$168
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$126
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Felix(Cambridge)
US$168
US$160
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$224
US$202
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfitzwilliam museumtraditional hoteltrouser presscity centrenight porterkings collegebed was comfortabletwo night staybreakfast was excellenttwin roomshort stayfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Mouldy bathroom, busy and loud main road keeping us awake, sash window that doesn't lock, filthy carpets, dangerous steps and we barely slept at all.
This hotel has not had an update for over 20 years and is clearly a cash cow for the owners. I guess people still stay here because of its central location.
The worst hotel I've ever stayed at.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillySFood
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear BillySFood
Thank you for your post following your stay with us and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I note your comments and the areas you highlighted that require attention.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here with work and couldn't wait to leave the place. Its grotty and a clear smell of damp from the room, easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Food was poor, overcooked one night and meat not cooked in the middle on another. The place is in need of a complete refurbishment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bizvan
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear bizvan
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. My reception manager was not aware of your complaints but if you would like to let me know directly which room you stayed in I can address these matters. I can be contacted at gm.cambridge@forestdale.com

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here at the end of July 2014 just one night as we wanted to have a look around Cambridge. First of all the positives, it is very well situated and is just a 10 minute stroll right into the centre of Cambridge (we loved Cambridge) there is also a car park, so you don't need to drive at all if you are looking around the city. We paid £140 for one night including breakfast. The room was disappointing, you couldn't open the door fully as the bed fills the room, and not much room either between the bed and the wardrobe. The bathroom is shoddy, with no ventilation except to open the window, the floor and curtains were horribly stained. There was no hairdryer in the room, but when asked, one was supplied within a few hours. the weather was very hot and the lack of air conditioning very apparent, we had an electric fan which we found in the wardrobe. Breakfast was very average, horrible watery coffee from a machine and greasy cooked breakfast under heated lamps where you could help yourself. The convenience is about the only thing I could recommend - cant book in until 2pm check out at 11am.

Room Tip: you need a room with a large window if hot as there is no ventialtion
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank honestkaren
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear honestkaren
Thank you for your post and I am pleased that you found our location convenient for Cambridge. I am sorry the accommodation was not to your liking but we are undertaking a review of all our services so we can improve our offer and overall guest experience.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Well situated in the middle of Cambridge. Clean and comfortable room and bathroom. Good facilities. Bed was very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. The Murder Mystery evening was well run and the food excellent. Breakfast the next morning was very good, with a good range of food for every taste. The only quirky thing was that the lift only went up to the second floor. We were on the third. No problem.

Room Tip: My daughter had a room on the second floor. She said it was very good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Colin S
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Colin S
Thank you for your post following your stay with us after attending the murder mystery event. I am glad you both enjoyed the event, the hotels convenient location and the breakfast; this is one of the areas we have recently improved our selection and standard of. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Cambridge Hotel if you are visiting again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked one night at the Royal Cambridge on Saturday July 5th and were bitterly disappointed. The room was in an appalling state incl. dirty, broken headboard, damaged bathroom floor.
Please find attached pictures.

We complained straight away but were told that the hotel is full, all other guests had already checked in and we could not be moved to another room.

This turned out not to be true. We checked in in the afternoon and when we were still trying to resolve the situation at 7pm a large group of guests checked in.

The reception staff and manager were completely unhelpful. They said there's nothing they could do and we could find another hotel.

Since we were travelling with our one year old son this was not an option and we reluctantly had to stay.

After more discussions with the manager on duty she agreed not to charge us for the room and that the general manager would contact us on Monday. This did not happen and I'm still chasing the refund.

Do not stay here - there are much nicer places in Cambridge

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank IMoLondon

Dear ImoLondon
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. As we have corresponded directly I am pleased we have reached a satisfactory conclusion.