Royal Cambridge Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$246
Doubletree
  • Room Service
US$226
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$120
HIExpress.com
Hotel Felix(Cambridge)
US$158
Hotels.com
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$112
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$156
Agoda.com
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelodge
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$209
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfitzwilliam museumtraditional hoteltrouser presscity centrenight porterkings collegebed was comfortabletwo night staybreakfast was excellenttwin roomshort stayfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Thank goodness we had groupon vouchers or i would have refused to pay.
It felt as though it was an effort for the staff to serve us, the menu was very limited, the decor old fashioned, one table has their drinks spilt over the table, we nearly had ours spilt, and the final disaster was the fruit salad.....possibly left over from breakfast, the liquid (whatever it was...possibly slightly sugared water) had taken all the flavour out of the fruit, and if you took away the 2 grapes you were left with Apple and pear. Hideous. The only positive was that the main courses were piping hot!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Mysteryfamily
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Mysteryfamily
Thank you for your post and I am sorry you did not enjoy your lunch. The Groupon offer you purchased is a 4 choice menu and a 4 choice menu was provided on the day and we do also offer daily specials subject to availability. We are about to commence some refurbishment works in the restaurant to bring back the shine and start a programme of staff retraining, perhaps you would consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel quite often over the last 15 years. It is sad to see some slipping in standards, despite many good qualities - friendly staff, very helpful reception, and a very satisfactory dinner. But the room and bathroom had a staleness about them, the previously good cooked-to-order breakfast replaced by a not very impressive tepid buffet. There was a sense of genteel decay: the hotel was less busy than I have ever known it, with few taking dinner, and some of the life seemed to have gone. It was a shame after previous good times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank MichaelBM

Dear MichaelBM
Thank you for your post and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and that our team were friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your evening meals. The hotel has recently been taken over and we are looking to address these issues. Regarding breakfast it has always been the hotel policy that cooked breakfast is offered depending on expected numbers and we do occasionally offer that, however we have recently improved our overall offering certainly from the last three years and previous operators of the hotel. We have added back in three extra hot dish items, cold meats and cheeses, bloomer breads, increased the number of fruits, brought back branded cereals and improved the overall presentation. As a long standing guest it would be nice to introduce myself so the next time you are in Cambridge please email me on gm.cambridge@sjhotels.co.uk and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The staff at this hotel were really helpful and cheerful. The bed was comfortable and the linen clean. Now that the good part is over, let's get onwith the rest. The breakfast was OK but nothing to write home about. The decor throughout was very tired. The drinks were a bit pricey, the water in the shower was cold. The final insult - they wanted to charge £8 per night for our car being left in their car park. At least this was deducted after protest.
I am sure that the Cambridge Royals will not be taying at the Royal Cambridge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brianpostie
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Brianpostie
Thank you for your post and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and that our team were friendly and helpful. I note your comments regarding the pricing of both drinks and the car park but we do operate a competitive pricing policy in line with our competitors. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Cambridge Hotel if you are visiting again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was really looking forward to spending the afternoon with my daughter at the Royal Cambridge Hotel. She had bought an Afternoon Tea from Groupon. It seemed a really good deal but the reviews on trip advisor were not good. So it was with a little bit of apprehension that I arrived to meet my daughter one Sunday afternoon. Yes, the hotel is somewhat tired looking and yes, the restaurant was a little shabby,but other than that I thought it was fine. The staff were quite attentive although I could have done without the waiter announcing rather embarrassingly that we were 'on the Groupon!' The tea itself was fine; there was a good variety of sandwiches and the scones were nice. The cake was shop bought and pretty bland but maybe that was because we were on 'the Groupon!' I agree with other reviewers that a hotel of this standard should provide homemade cakes even if it is the Groupon deal. I loved being with my daughter and it was the first time she had ever treated me to anything so I can't complain!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank andylou55
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear andylou55
Thank you for the posting following your afternoon tea with us and your overall comments; we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Cambridge again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel on the night of 18th July. Yes the hotel is very dated. If it had have been clean then I would have been able to over look that. Although the bedding itself was clean the bed was filthy. The duvet was also very grubby and the duvet cover didn't fit. It was far to small. I couldn't bring myself to look at the pillows other wise I might never have slept. Fortunately it was a very hot night so I slept on top of the bed and didn't have to get into it.The plug socket for the kettle didn't work so we had to balance the kettle on the windowsill and use a different socket. The telephone didn't work so we couldn't contact reception. This was annoying when I noticed we were towels short. On top of all this when we went to check out they charged us £8 to park. On the plus side the breakfast was good and the location is excellent. Cambridge is lovely and well worth a visit but my advice would be to avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Carolyn S
Stewart R, General Manager at Royal Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Carolyn S
Thank you for your post and I am pleased that you found our location convenient for Cambridge and enjoyed the breakfast. I am sorry you felt the overall accommodation was poor; we do use an external contractor for our cleaning/housekeeping services and I will address these matters with them.