“Happy to stay here again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Centennial Hotel

Centennial Hotel
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Happy to stay here again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

We were in Cambridge for one night only (sadly!) and chose this hotel because it is only a 5 minute walk from the train station, which meant we could leave our luggage and walk into town without the heavy loads. We had a bedroom on the ground floor at the back, overlooking the car park. The room was small for a twin room, but it was comfortable, and the bathroom was excellent and super clean. We really appreciated the coffee and tea making facilities in the room, which is often lacking in more expensive hotels these days. An excellent walk-in wardrobe meant the luggage could all be packed away. Breakfast was very good - in fact, the bacon was great, well cooked and not too salty. Staff were extremely helpful. I needed an ironing board and iron, which arrived outside our room door within 2 minutes.

Some people might prefer to stay closer to the centre of Cambridge, but there is a shortage of good accommodation in Cambridge, and to be honest - the walk into town was a nice 15 minute walk. For those who don't like to stretch their legs, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel from where buses leave just about every 5 minutes. Bear in mind that at rush hour traffic the traffic in/out of the centre is at a standstill quite regularly, so at those times walking is a much better option.

Make sure you go to the Fitzwilliam Museum, again a pleasant 15 minute stroll, which has an amazing exhibition on Vermeer's Women until mid-January. Don't miss it!

Room Tip: Our rooms at the back was quiet - other travellers have complained about attic rooms, so you could j...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MissMieke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently stayed in the Centennial Hotel Cambridge on business and thankfully only for one night. My room was in the attic and I banged my head no less than four times on the angular staircases on the floor above to the left and right of my bed. I think there's a health and safety issue here. When I got up in the night to go to the loo I did bang my head really hard.

I ate in the restaurant and waited 25 minutes for my duck breast only to discover that when it had arrived it was way over cooked and if I hadn't been so hungry I would have sent it back. I spend a lot of time in hotels and this was not a good experience.

Staff very friendly and responsive but not one hotel I would recommend or contemplate staying in again.

2 Thank Nickerty

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

lancaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

After a long tiring journey this was not the accommodation I had hope for! On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful, there were tea and coffee making facilities, the room was clean and there was free car parking. BUT the room was extremely noisy, with constant banging and crashing, which I think came from the bar and restaurant area. The room was very warm with no air conditioning; decor tired; in fact it was like a trip back to the 80's. I don't think that I will be repeating the experience!

2 Thank WalkaboutLancaster
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I was lucky enough to get one of the famed attic rooms! Sloping roof, bed positioned such that care was needed when getting out of bed as you were likely to hit your head on the ceiling. The decor was tired and in need of some TLC.

Bathroom was recently put in, which begs the question why the room hadn't had a lick of paint to spruce it up at the same time whilst out of commission. Either they have an extreme recycling policy, or the housekeeping is poor - the soap from the previous occupant was still in the shower.

Breakfast a total disappointment, bland and tasteless to say the least.

Service - well I hope they care more for the pounds (£92 for a small double?) they're lining their pockets with than they showed to their guests. At no time was there a welcome, thank you, enjoy your stay.....

All I can say is that it is walking distance from the centre and has parking.

The room guide looked like it had been typed sometime in the seventies, and was a list of rules and regulations!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's in the annex/not in the attic
2 Thank Trudi S
Guildford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Positives: Tea & Coffee making facility in room & modern flat-screen TV. Friendly staff. Free car-park.

Negatives: Poor shower. Dated furniture. No Fridge in room. Small double bed: length & width (this was a 'deluxe' double room - I would not like to see the bed in a 'standard' double room). Breakfast finishes very early (0900 weekday & 0930 weekends), you are on holiday and expect it to run till at least 1000.

Verdict: Overpriced.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elley1974
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

10 minutes walk from railway station and 15 minutes from the magnificent town centre, the Centennial is well-placed for a stay in Cambridge.

We stayed in a deluxe twin on the first floor at the back of the building, overlooking the car park from which we heard little, if any noise. The room was comfortable and clean and the bathroom comprised bath, shower and bidet, with complementary toiletries. Shower could do with an upgrade as the head didn't give a very wide spray and it was also a bit tricky to get the required water temperature for the shower as the mixer taps seemed to turn for quite a while with little or no effect on the water flow.

The staff were helpful and courteous and as we had to rise early we were offered an early breakfast - 7am rather than 7.30am or a breakfast tray in our rooms.

I would have no doubt in recommending the Centennial to others.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We arrived on friday and were given our room keys to an attic room with a sloping roof, difficult when your husband is over 6 foot, I call reception who agreed to more us to a new room, which he said was one of the deluxe rooms, we could not see how it rated as delux, it was clean and confortable, but not deluxe.
Breakfast was included in the price of the room and was good, staff were pleasant and willing to help, the hotel was clean but dated, in need of some TLC, and a make over to make it a bit more modern.
Saturday night we chose to eat in the hotel resturant, this was dissapointing to say the least, food was bland and micro waved, I chose the cheese board which consisted of 3 crackers and 3 very thin sliced cheese, oh and 4 grapes, it has two menus both expensive for what you get, the bar is also overpriced, you are far better walking in to town to eat, we had a much nicer meal in Zizzi in town.
It is walking distance to town along a very busy main road

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple