“Nice hotel, shame about the restaurant”
Review of Centennial Hotel

Centennial Hotel
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel is great for its location...just 5 minutes walk from the train station and 10 minutes into the shopping district. The rooms are clean and comfortable but for a major tourist destination the restaurant really needs to polish up its act. I waited 1hr15mins for my soup at dinner time and the main course was so average that I didn't even stay for the dessert. Was this a one off? No! the same happened to me and several others the next evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room away from busy main road
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen C
There are newer reviews for Centennial Hotel

Reviewed 10 February 2012

its a reasonable three star hotel, breakfast good, and the staff are friendly

Room Tip: first floor rooms best
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CJTW
Reviewed 18 January 2012

A bit like Faulty Towers, the Centennial was located a stones throw from my office and a 5 minute walk from Cambridge Train Station. The lovely little rooms were quite small but had every needed from a desk to bath / shower (my shower wasn't that great), TV and free wifi. No minibar or fridge though and strict rules against bringing in takeaway. We had a company rate which still seemed very high considering there were no facilities other than the restaurant, which didn't open until 7.30am, not great for us early birds! Breakfast was ok, fairly basic but with the full english option for those wishing to take in in one day their weeks recommended fat and salt intake!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you are sensitive to noice (from the road on the other si...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank RikTNC
Reviewed 27 December 2011

If you're looking for a North American style hotel, the Centennial Hotel isn't one of them, but we found it homey, comfortable, and convenient.

First off, there is no elevator and the staircase to the second floor, where we stayed, is narrow and winding. However, even as a senior citizen, I didn't find this a problem. Our room was away from the street, overlooking the parking lot, so our room was quiet. If the room was on the street side, it might be a different story.

Our room was smaller than North American hotel rooms, but an adequate size, and very well laid out. The furniture and bed were of traditional design and everything worked well. The flat screen TV could be viewed from bed and the channel lineup was extensive and had HD programs. The wireless Internet connection was fast and reliable.

It had a radiator heating system with no thermostat, so temperature control was a problem. The room was too warm but after a few days I tamed (I think) it by closing the radiator valve. The tub was a huge affair with massive shower controls which wasted a lot of water while adjusting the temperature. For some reason the hot water wasn't connected to the sink and neither was the sink plug.

The hotel key system uses mechanical keys with massive key fobs. The good part is you always leave the keys with reception when you go out. If you wish to arrive or travel by train, the station is a short walk away.... very convenient.

Guests have access to a large beautifully furnished parlor for meeting friends. We had breakfast included and it was excellent.... full English plus a few other choices in the cozy downstairs dining room.

So this hotel wasn't the most technically advanced we've stayed at but we enjoyed it's character and home-like feeling.

Room Tip: Get one facing away from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Box134
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We were in Cambridge for one night only (sadly!) and chose this hotel because it is only a 5 minute walk from the train station, which meant we could leave our luggage and walk into town without the heavy loads. We had a bedroom on the ground floor at the back, overlooking the car park. The room was small for a twin room, but it was comfortable, and the bathroom was excellent and super clean. We really appreciated the coffee and tea making facilities in the room, which is often lacking in more expensive hotels these days. An excellent walk-in wardrobe meant the luggage could all be packed away. Breakfast was very good - in fact, the bacon was great, well cooked and not too salty. Staff were extremely helpful. I needed an ironing board and iron, which arrived outside our room door within 2 minutes.

Some people might prefer to stay closer to the centre of Cambridge, but there is a shortage of good accommodation in Cambridge, and to be honest - the walk into town was a nice 15 minute walk. For those who don't like to stretch their legs, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel from where buses leave just about every 5 minutes. Bear in mind that at rush hour traffic the traffic in/out of the centre is at a standstill quite regularly, so at those times walking is a much better option.

Make sure you go to the Fitzwilliam Museum, again a pleasant 15 minute stroll, which has an amazing exhibition on Vermeer's Women until mid-January. Don't miss it!

Room Tip: Our rooms at the back was quiet - other travellers have complained about attic rooms, so you could j...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MissMieke
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently stayed in the Centennial Hotel Cambridge on business and thankfully only for one night. My room was in the attic and I banged my head no less than four times on the angular staircases on the floor above to the left and right of my bed. I think there's a health and safety issue here. When I got up in the night to go to the loo I did bang my head really hard.

I ate in the restaurant and waited 25 minutes for my duck breast only to discover that when it had arrived it was way over cooked and if I hadn't been so hungry I would have sent it back. I spend a lot of time in hotels and this was not a good experience.

Staff very friendly and responsive but not one hotel I would recommend or contemplate staying in again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Nickerty
Reviewed 14 November 2011

After a long tiring journey this was not the accommodation I had hope for! On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful, there were tea and coffee making facilities, the room was clean and there was free car parking. BUT the room was extremely noisy, with constant banging and crashing, which I think came from the bar and restaurant area. The room was very warm with no air conditioning; decor tired; in fact it was like a trip back to the 80's. I don't think that I will be repeating the experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business