Centennial Hotel
Panos Hotel(Cambridge)
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
Helen Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbudget roomcertain charmrailway stationbotanical gardensfree car parkcity centrebit datedbusiness travelminute walkcooked breakfastpriced hotelclean hotelleave the caron site parkingplenty of parkingcomfortable stayshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Although only awarded an AA 2star rating, this friendly, family run hotel on the edge of central Cambridge is more than that implies. The rooms are a bit tight- I had a small double- but everything was provided and was exceptionally clean. Pleasant sitting areas are provided on the ground floor. The restaurant is in the basement, down some steep steps. Due to working in my room in the evening, I stayed in for the evening meal. There was a choice of menu and the food was well-presented and piping hot, although standard fare. The cost for a 3 course meal was very reasonable, especially considering it was central Cambridge. The hotel is an easy 15-20 minute walk into the heart of the city with its colleges and the River Cam in one direction and not far from the Botanic Gardens in the other. Car parking is provided at the hotel.
Although the decor is getting a little dated, the cleanliness and high maintenance of the hotel plus the friendliness of the staff make this a good choice.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bayston
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The people in the reception were rude. When I tried to alert them to the fact that nobody was at the reception area 3 times in a row when I went down to leave my key, one started arguing with me. I was very calm and explaining that given the doors are not locked and we're facing a busy street, anybody could walk in and taken away the other rooms' door keys. She told me nothing of the sort had ever happened before and then we went onto a long discussion on how one incident may not be indicative of any future activity! i only expected an acknowledgment and apology but these people were not willing to give any. The rooms are VERY SMALL. I couldn't fit my suitcase in the room in a way to unpack it so I had to live off the suitcase for 5 days. Breakfast is horrible. Very basic and the same hot breakfast - very greasy and tasteless. I would not recommend this hotel. If you are visiting the university, it's not very close. Internet connection was not reliable.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank worldcitizen012
Reviewed 6 July 2010

When I first viewed the luxury room my heart sank.It was dark and depressing owing to all the paint work including the wardrobes being coated in a treacle like varnish.The curtains ect were once popular 20 years ago{not with me I have to say}It was the equiverlant of sleeping in an olde English pub.And this was a luxury room !!! If it had cost about £40-£50 that would have been a fair price.It was appalling and I feel like Ive been cheated as the discription of the place on the web site is vey suspect.A definate candidate for the television series Hotel Inspectors

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Iceb0x
Reviewed 16 June 2010

A pretty mediocre hotel, small room, not enough plugs, no iron, no water glass. Contrary to many of the cooments here, I thought breakfast was almost inedible. The tomato didn't taste nce, I think the mushrooms were tinned and the bacon seemed to be cooked in old fat.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank dangtangy
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I can well understand how some reviewers are disappointed by this hotel. Its website speaks of “luxury” and “superb quality cuisine”. Its rooms are not luxurious, just reasonably comfortable, and you don’t get “superb quality cuisine”, just reasonably good cooking. In fact, it’s essentially B&B quality. I’ve used it several times, because it’s well placed for the business I have to do. Its rooms are fairly small, with furniture crammed in. The bathrooms work, though they’re fairly basic (I believe one only has a shower). Rooms on the front can be noisy, as it’s on a busy main road. It’s an old building, so the floors and stairs creak. The TVs are small 14-inch units with only 4 channels. There’s a hairdryer, and plenty of tea and coffee, though no biscuits. The restaurant and bar are in the basement, down a narrow, steep stairway. Dinner was £15.50 for three courses, which is not expensive by any means. Service was friendly but amateurish, and the food was absolutely fine. Breakfast was acceptable, but there was no offer of more coffee or toast (I didn’t want more, but I expect the offer).
A previous reviewer commented about lax security: I went out to get a newspaper, leaving my room key on the reception desk, with the number showing. The receptionist was there, and acknowledged me. When I returned some ten minutes later, the key was as I’d left it, and there was no-one at the desk. I just picked up the key and went to my room. I guess management don’t read Trip Advisor.
If it’s important to you to be fairly close to the city centre and/or you need a car park, then this place will provide reasonable B&B. Just remember it’s not nearly as luxurious as the website claims it is. It’s fine for an overnight, but I wouldn’t base a holiday round it. Another central (-ish) hotel with a car park is the Royal Cambridge, which is more expensive.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business