“Great hotel, perfect spot by the river in central Cambridge”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, perfect spot by the river in central Cambridge”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The hotel's discreetly tucked away in central Cambridge, 2 minutes walk from Kings Parade and with a perfect view onto the Cam, next to Scudamore's punt hire and the rollers up onto the river leading out to Grantchester. Modern facilities, friendly staff, v comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant, good wide choice of food at breakfast. Just a bit noisy (up till midnight) if you're close to any of the function rooms and there's an 18th or wedding party on, but the walls are thick, the beds comfy, and the 12.00pm finish is well-enforced so it's hardly a problem. We prefer to remember the comfort, perfect September weather, being able to use the fitness centre, pool and sauna next door (included in the price), parking next door, and the ideal location if you want to enjoy central Cambridge for the weekend without having to drive anywhere. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the river.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear amdgriggs
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that our central location and perfect spot by the river was ideal for your visit to Cambridge. I will certainly ensure our team receive your positive feedback about their friendliness. I do hope we may welcome you back soon.
Kind regards
Greg Crawford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We booked this hotel due to the amazing photos on the hotel's website, that made it look totally luxsurious. Hence why we didn't even think twice about the price. We were expecting the best hotel experience we'd ever had.
On arrival to the car park, we parked up and walked to check in to the hotel. First impression of the hotel rear was not a lot at all. The reception is very swish, and we were thinking "yeh, we've done well here, just what we were expecting".

Once into our room our hopes were dashed. NO WAY was it worth £240. At best and absolute most I would say £150. Even then it's not a patch on the usual hotels we use in London and they are only £90. This Doubletree basically is a glorified Travel Lodge and draws people in by the use of the word: Hilton.

The bathroom was very basic. There was wallpaper damage in our room, one of the ceiling tiles was hanging off, and basically the only good points were:
* Kingsize bed was massive and very comfortable.
* TV
* All the hotel was warm, especially our room.

The staff weren't happy and were basically going through the motions.
Be warned the hotel car park is £17.50 on top of the room rate. But this was good really, as we walked a LOT of the centre and didn't actually see any car parks elsewhere.

The hotel's location is well out of the city centre/shops. A good 10 minute walk. Also it is hard to find, well tucked away. We paid a lot due to the river view. Due to the angle of our room and trees we could probably see at most 3 metres of river!

My last point was there was very loud music until Midnight, due to a wedding reception being held at the hotel. When I say loud, we were on the 2nd floor, and it was still louder than the TV!!!!

the max I rate this hotel in our experience is 4/10.

Room Tip: Save your money and book else where.
1 Thank IveGotStandards
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear I'veGotStandards
Thank you for taking the time to post a review further to your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to learn that overall your stay with us was unsatisfactory and that we did not have the opportunity to deal with the issues during your visit . Please may I ask that you either email me directly on greg.crawford@hilton.com or call on 01223 259932 so that I may resolve the outstanding matters. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Kind regards. Greg Crawford, General Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights as the groom of a wedding party and booked 8 other rooms for the same stay (though we didn't have any part of the wedding here). In the run up to the event they were both helpful and flexible, able to accommodate a couple of last minute changes.
The restaurant is excellent, to the point that it's worth visiting whether you're staying in the hotel or not.
Service was also good, helping us late at night when required with a challenging request. Location ideal, close to the center and right on the river.
Only minor downside - when will expensive hotels realise that internet access is like running water - a basic necessity rather than a business service to charge for?!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart D
Dear Stuart D
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read the great feedback about the team and the service which you received while staying with us. The Brasserie is certainly very popular with local people as well as hotel guests and I am pleased you enjoyed the experience. We do have a business centre in the hotel which has complimentary internet access for our residents. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future. Kind regards Greg Crawford
London
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this very late - the day before we arrived so there weren't too many hot deals in Cambridge. It was a toss-up between this and the Crowne Plaza but as the Doubletree were offering a king room with balcony and river views I decided to splash out for a bit of luxury - at £254 (not including breakfast) I thought we'd get something really rather plush.

Unfortunately we arrived to find this was just a right royal rip-off. The room was on the third floor and was tiny - I'd say quite a bit smaller than the average hotel room. The bathroom was also a dud - standing at the sink I could stretch out and touch both walls. The shower was overhead in the (not veyr nice) bath and gave a somewhat pathetic dribble. There was so little space to put any toiletries that my soapbag fell onto the floor, smashing a bottle of perfume, which was intensely irritating.

The balcony which cost us an extra £15 was also miniature with steep sides so it felt very enclosed and not at all inviting. There were a couple of chairs but sitting in them you were staring at the wooden planks forming the barrier so the only way to see the river was by standing up.

The check-in and out desk only had two people - this was OK on the way in but on the way out there was a very slow line which cost us an extra fiver in taxi waiting time.

Had the hotel cost us a hundred quid less I'd have given it a much better review, but I can't understand how Doubletree can justify charging so much for so little. The last time I stayed at a Doubletree I gave it a five star review. This was also a late booking, it was the Doubletree in Times Square in New York and we had a suite, and it cost about $100.

If you can get a good rate, and avoid the third floor, then actually the hotel is in a good location and the staff are pleasant (can't vouch for the health club but it's unusual to have a swimming pool in a Cambridge hotel) but don't expect you're going to get a five star room for the five star prices they charge.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor
1 Thank rosiefromlondon
Dear rosiefromlondon
Thank you for posting a review recently. I was pleased to learn that you found the hotel location good and the staff pleasant however disappointed to hear that overall you feel that the experience was not good value for money. I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future to restore your faith in our hotel.
Kind regards
Greg Crawford
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The hotel looks very nice, and it is in a very nice spot of Cambridge, so if looks is the most important for you, this is your hotel! For me, I value more the quality of the services, and there were few things that would make me to look for another hotels when I return to Cambridge:

1) Room: decor was nice, but some furniture really old. Worst thing was that the water pressure in the bathroom was really little, so showering was really annoying experience.

2) Breakfast: When they greet you at the entrance, they offer orange juice, nice... except that it is not fresh orange juice, which they also have available in the buffet. Why? My only guess is that to avoid people taking too much fresh orange juice... but who knows... Then, you don't have someone cooking eggs there for you, so you need to catch some waiter to ask for omelettes or fried eggs. And finally, they don't have water in the buffet, at least I didn't find it...

3) Room service: I order for starter a Ceasar salad, and then some chiken for main, but they gave me a main Ceasar salad instead of starter... Also the selection of food and drinks is very limited in my opinion.

All in all, I think I will choose some other hotel for the next time. I won't give name, so that I don't look biased.

Room Tip: River view is nicer
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Luar_LM
Dear Raul_Im
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that overall you thought the hotel was nice and I also appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the services you experienced. The hotel was completely refurbished prior to becoming a DoubleTree by Hilton in 2008 and we are currently working on schemes to further enhance the bedroom product in the near future. Our most recent enhancements have been the complete refurbishment of the ground floor including the Riverside Brasserie and Twist Bar area. I was sorry to learn that the breakfast experience fell below your expectations. Our breakfast offering does not include freshly squeezed orange juice and I am sorry that both products offered did not taste the same. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again when next in Cambridge. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be pleased to take care of the arrangements personally for you. Kind regards Greg Crawford, General Manager
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Ive stayed in the Doubletree a few times on business, most recently in September with my wife. Rooms are spotless, views over the Cam brilliant (if you've specified a river view room) and it's location is awesome for exploring the city on foot. As I was working I needed to use the car park which at £17.50/day on top of a £185/night room was a bit steep. Breakfast was excellent every day - we walked out & explored & ate out in evenings. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2011
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Dear Chrismb
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Doubletree Cambridge. We appreciate your loyalty as a regular guest and do hope you have signed up as a member of our Hilton Hhonors loyalty programme. The location is certainly the best, so peaceful, yet so central. Dinner is available in the Riverside Brasserie overlooking the River Cam and the floodlit gardens. We look forward welcoming you back soon. kind regards Greg Crawford
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I have just returned from one night staying at The Doubletree and it was brilliant on quite a few counts.
Firstly I think the staff are excellent, we probably spoke to about 18 during our stay and every single one of them was polite and attentive, which is very rare ( you normally get one person who looks like they wished you hadn't approached them)

The location could not be better. We had drinks outside the bar on the banks of The Cam ( lovely furniture-really pretty views across meadows with cows) and you are right on the The Cam, so we just sat and watched the punters ( which is a good laugh!).
I live near Cambridge but quite often stay as it is a lovely city to wander round. This hotel is comparative in price to the other high end hotels, but has the extras of a great location, great pool (with glass roof and views out to the river) I tried the steam room and sauna but managed about 5 seconds in both before exploding out the door, so had a lengthy swim and a relax in the jacuzzi. It is quite a treat to have the views and the amenities and is worth the extra cost for parking ( we arrived at 12.30pm and had parking until midnight the following evening- it can cost £14 for 5 hours shopping in the city car parks - we had 36 hours of parking for £17.50) - we stayed all afternoon when we were going to leave after checking out.
You could stay further out for a cheaper cost but then taxi's will be just expensive backwards and forwards or parking the car will be expensive. When booking I did think the car park should be included in the price £155 for a twin, but once I had seen the views, room and the warm welcome, decided it is deserving of it's price.
The room wasn't ready when we arrived at 12.30, but we didn't expect it to be as we were early (check in is 3pm), we were just going to park and leave our bags, so we were chuffed. There was a maintenance man in our room when we got there so we went back down to reception and they promptly gave us a card for 2 free drinks in the bar, which they did not have to do as we were early!- excellent customer service.
If I had one gripe it would be, although the cookies are a nice touch, instead I would have preferred more than one shower gel between us in our twin room- I rang reception though and they brought some within minutes. The cabinets in bathroom had veneer panels peeling off, which wouldn't have taken much to mend, but other than that the room was lovely with a small balcony which I hadn't expected.
I will definitely go back, although I like it mostly for the outside terrace area on a good day. Not sure I would be as excited in winter (but that is purely because I love being outside and we got may be one of the last good days of summer to be there, so I was making the most of it) . We had booked an evening meal elsewhere for the night we arrived, but decided we would come back for lunch after checking out, just so we could sit by the river, worth it as you can spend a long time queuing or looking for places to eat with outside seating. The service was faultless for us.

Room Tip: All the staff were excellent!sit out on bar terrace looking at the Cam! great leisure centre.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Debbo66buster
Thanks for such a detailed review following your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that all the team members you encountered were polite and attentive. It is our aim to ensure we deliver a friendly and caring service to all our guests and I am pleased that this has not gone unnoticed. The riverside terrace is certainly the perfect place to relax on a summers day ! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford