“Good Location . . . Quite good hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
halifax
“Good Location . . . Quite good hotel”
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

The location is great, really central and with car park. Otherwise the hotel is unremarkable. It's what you might expect from a good hotel, but nothing stands out. we didn't use the leisure facilities so can't comment on that.
We did eat in the restaurant and that was nice, again nothing remarkable.
Top marks however to staff, very friendly, and very helpful.
I would definitely stay here again, mostly because of its location.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Harriete
Thank you for your review, I was glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, however, very sorry to read that despite the helpful and friendly service received from our staff your stay was an unremarkable one. I can only hope that on your next stay with us you will be able to make the most of our facilities and leisure amenities in order to enhance your experience. Looking forward to that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

As a business hotel, the hotel is ok but in comparison to other Hiltons and value for money as a Gold member room upgrades are poor and there is no executive lounge. Hotel corridors and stair ways smelt musty. In general: Not bad, but not directly recommendable either.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank B J
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The Doubletree in Cambridge is ideally located just a few minutes' walk from most of the Cambridge colleges and the old center of the city, and sits astride the river. Rooms are pleasant, quiet and comfortable (though the standard size is small). That's about where the benefits end. The restaurant's food is quite ordinary -- a dull breakfast buffet in the morning, with an overambitious lunch menu that didn't live up to its prose, the one time I tried it. While the front desk was attentive and acted swiftly on any issue, the hotel's managers, who seemed to be international, were a bit fulsome. I sensed an operation designed to make money more than to deliver a quality of service consistent with the high cost.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JackSD
Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I had chosen this hotel for a business trip as it appeared the best option in Cambridge. The hotel was OK, but not more. On arrival, I found that I had to pay for Wi-Fi connection and breakfast. This was on top of the 189 GBP, I was already charged. The room was OK, quite spacious, but somewhat worn. For no obvious reason I was given a room especially suited for disabled persons which meant that everything was very close to the floor. I did not bother complaining as I had only a short stay.

Food in the hotel was OK, but not superb. Especially the lunch buffet was somewhat disappointing. Staff was OK, but their approach to service varied from person to person. Some were bvery godd and some were quite detached in the approach to their work.

Finally, an adapter for central european electric devices was not for loan, but had to be bought for 6 GBP. This is ridiculous for a hotel, that pricewise brand itself as close to luxury.

In general: Not bad, but not directly recommendable either

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JackOnTheRoad
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We spent two nights at the Doubletree. The room was a good size, everything was clean and in good working order and the bed great. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I was disappointed in having to pay for wi-fi and finding out (after the fact) that the only breakfast available was a very high-price buffet. The options were good, but way more than we really wanted to spend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Some background: I lived in Cambridge for a few years and I would frequently eat at the University Centre, just adjacent to the Doubletree. I always wondered if I'd ever be able to afford to stay at the nice looking hotel on the Cam. Now 25 years later, the Garden House hotel is a Doubletree and my wife and I booked a 5-night reward stay there.

We were met at the front desk by two very helpful and pleasant agents who immediately checked us into our riverview room. The room was of reasonable size with a comfortable bed and nice view of the Cam. There was a very small balcony, but it was too small to really do more than stand out there briefly and take in the view.

Breakfast (as Diamond members) was free in the restaurant and featured a nice full breakfast buffet, a number of breads, some nice muffins and sweets, and the usual assortment of cold items and cereals. Service in the restaurant was efficient and pleasant.

Wifi was free (for Gold and Diamond members), but you need to use a new Swisscom card each day to validate the service (I was given 5 at check-in). It also appeared that you are limited to using a single device.

Location is a block away from Trumpington Street and very near to Kings College Chapel and an easy walk to the central market, shopping (Lion Yard, the new Grand Arcade), and many restaurants and pubs. We found the Anchor, a Greene King pub on Silver Street, to have good food, decent beer, and a nice view of the river.

I'd highly recommend the Doubletree for a stay in Cambridge.

Room Tip: The river view rooms feature a very pleasant and peaceful view of the Cam.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My father, my brother and I stayed two nights at Doubletree in Cambridge, UK. Our room and bathroom were spacious. We had a third roll-away bed added and did not feel crowded. Very high standards of linens, toiletries, cleanliness and service was evident throughout. Tea and coffee (free)was available in-room, a nice touch, as well as a stocked small refridgerator (purchase). Our first-floor room had a small outdoor balcony that overlooked a bicycle and walking path; frequent activity was not noisy. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was served buffet-style; it varied from a "traditional English Breakfast" to cereals, cold-cuts, cheeses, yogurt, fruit and juices. A small business center provided free Internet access and we could print out our boarding passes directly. Location was excellent for walking almost anywhere in Cambridge, yet just far enough off the main throughfare for a quiet stay. The pool and fitness areas are staffed and looked excellent although I did not use them (not enough time). I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheatreJules
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review, it is always a pleasure to receive comments such as yours and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the team, I know that they will be pleased to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed. I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is only through feedback from our customers that we can continually evaluate and improve the level of hospitality that we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to UK.