“River Views”

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Nashville
“River Views”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Older building (60s-70s architecture) with renovations to rooms. We had a quite large King room with updated bathroom (smallish but sufficient), balcony, and river views. Delightful views. Service was fine---except for one odd woman (short, dark hair, thick) at the check-in desk who seemed to dive for the telephone whenever guests appeared to avoid answering questions. Luckily the other guest services staff were on point (Concierge was delightful as were other front desk staff). Rooms not that well insulated but we had a white noise machine--thank goodness so we slept well. Hotel has small pool, hot tub, and steam room and sauna. Facilities were serviceable. Breakfast was good and varied (we had omelettes made to order, fruit, etc) and free for HHonors Diamond as was wifi. Hotel is walking distance to everything in Cambridge. It is not a luxurious property but it is perfectly fine and more importantly clean. I would stay here again if in Cambridge. We had a prepaid rate, making this hotel a great deal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

A wonderful hotel in the centre of cambridge and on teh banks of the river Cam. Lovely riverside gardens at the back, private function rooms with garden access. Professional staff, excellent service and food. All rooms are excellent but the ones facing the river are the nicest and some have balconies. parking is expensive, but your ticket is validated by the reception desk and you can go in and out as much as you like during your stay for the reduced guest price.
Excellent venue for a celebration or wedding.

Room Tip: Room 127 has three windows and three aspect views of the river. Also room 102 has a lovely balcony...
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I have in recent years compiled a number of reviews on this site regarding various resorts, hotels and attractions, and have never before submitted a ‘negative’ review on anywhere I have stayed, so I do not consider myself to be a persistent complainer, but I do consider that the Double Tree Hilton at Cambridge does deserve negative comment.

Stayed there with my wife over a weekend in July 2012 to attend a wedding. So, first the good points. The bed was expansive and comfortable, with the room (on the third floor) being clean and reasonably well equipped with hairdryer, flat screen TV and plenty of tea and coffee making facilities. Staff were friendly, polite and helpful. The hotel was located fairly centrally with the main universities and the shopping centres being just a short walk away. The views from the room over the river were excellent. The fitness centre appeared to be good, but the pool, which we used twice was very small by hotel standards.

Onto the bad points. The room was small, by that I mean that I have stayed in larger Premier Inn rooms at considerably less cost. Clothes storage space was adequate, but only just, with no actual wardrobes provided, just hanging rails. The ‘air cooler’ system within the room was ineffective and did little to reduce the room temperature. The bathroom was cramped and the shower which was of the ‘over the bath’ variety, was dismal. I have watering cans which are more powerful. The so called balcony has got to be a contender for the ‘world’s smallest’ having sufficient room for two chairs - just

My major criticism is reserved for the extortionate cost involved. I reside in West London, so am used to paying London prices for accommodation and refreshments but, we were charged £229 per night for the room which included breakfast and car parking. I cannot comment on the cost of breakfast, but the car park adjacent to the hotel costs some £17.50 per day for hotel guests. The cost of drinks at the bar were eye-watering, in that a Bacardi and coke, together with a pint of bitter was £10.15p.

In conclusion, I considered the Double Tree to be expensive and mediocre at best. I would have expected a much larger, air conditioned room with a decent shower in a separate shower cubicle for that sort of money. You seem to pay a considerable premium for the fairly central location and the view. I notice that other negative reviews have attracted a response from the management, which is commendable, but rather than just providing a written response, I would strongly suggest they actually take some action to rectify guests complaints.

Would I recommend this hotel to others? No. Would I stay there again? Definitely not. I believe there must be better and considerably cheaper hotels within the City that are worthy of people’s patronage. In short, look elsewhere.

1 Thank foxeye1
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
I was very sad to read your review on TripAdvisor with regards your recent stay with us. I can see from your comments that there were some areas of your stay that did not seem to meet your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. As you mentioned we do respond to all good and negative feedback, but we go beyond this, we take all of our guests’ comments very seriously and where possible we always carry out in depth investigations onto the matter and implement further staff training so that these kinds of issues do not recur in the future. I can only hope that in the future you may decide to return to the hotel.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Nice facilities and location, right on the river and close to the city centre. Lots of nice pubs and restaurants nearby. Room rates were ridiculously expensive. The breakfast was very poor - fried eggs on buffet could have served as shoe soles – must have been under the heating lamps for a while!

Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We arrived early en route to a funeral, and asked to leave bags and just freshen up, but were told one of the rooms was ready for use. I had a room with a balcony, (to my delight the balcony had chairs, table and an ashtray), and a view over the canal and river and trees. An enormous bed, good bedding, and everything worked - TV, hairdryer, iron, etc. Decent sized en-suite and nice toiletries. Free cookies and chocolate as well as the usual tea/coffee/minibar stuff.

In the evening we ate from the bar menu, which was very good. Left too early for breakfast, unfortunately; could have ordered but too early for us! We ate the cookies instead.

Staff were attentive, pleasant and very helpful. Hotel very clean and relaxing. Just what we needed after a stressful day. Thank you to all of them for such a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We booked on lastminute.com and it was excellent value.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer H
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Jennifer
Thank you for your recent review, your feedback is always appreciated. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and you enjoyed the location, bedroom and the chocolate chip cookie. We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I took a group of Italian VIPs to this hotel and they were very impressed. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. Only a bidet was missing, by Italian standards. But the beds were comfortable and the views lovely. Breakfast is excellent, the staff are extremely professional, and the position is ideal for discovering Cambridge on foot. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to any type of traveller - business or leisure, couples or families.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lady of Harley
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on this website. I was very pleased to read that your Italian VIP guests were happy with their stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to receive comments such as yours and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team, I know that they will be pleased to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed.
We look forward to welcoming you and your guests back at the hotel in the near future.
Keene, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Went here for a girls weekend, room was overpriced, we asked for double beds and got twins. Rooms were small, and walls were paper thin, I could hear people sneezing in the room next to us. Maids tried to come in and clean our room twice before 10 am and check out was at 12. Had problems opening the pull out couch and reception was rude when we called about it, and the guy who came to help us had what looked like a mixed alcohol drink in his hand and was very short and rude. I will not only not stay here again but I will spend an hour of my time writing bad reviews for this hotel wherever I can! Trust me you can find WAY better and nicer hotels for $300+ a night!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Rheannon
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us, your feedback is always appreciated. I was very sad to read and certainly very concerned to see from your comments that there were some areas of your stay that did not seem to meet your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. I will certainly pass on your comments to the relevant managers for them to take necessary action where possible. In the meantime,I can only hope that you will decide to return to the hotel in the future.