“Severely lacking”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently and I can only say how disappointed we were with the food and the quality of service in the restaurant and leisure centre. Initially impressions were good; check in was efficient and members of staff on the front desk appeared pleasant. Our room, although small was clean and comfortable. On the down side there were only net curtains at the windows as the main curtains were decorative only and did not close. Very puzzling?! Consequently we were awake at 5am. On visiting the leisure complex the member of staff on duty was reading a paper - she did not greet us, look up from her paper or acknowledge us in any way at all. We left. Evening meal was a challenge. Our wine was brought to the table already opened and poured straight into our glasses without comment. The quality of the food produced was probably some of the worse i have had in a hotel. As soon as the first course was finished our plates were whisked away and immediately replaced with our main course which had obviously been sitting around for a while as the fish was totally dried up and my risotto was covered with a glutinous film. All in all I would expect so much more from a hotel of this quality and price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bets56
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you for your recent review, your feedback is always appreciated.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the problems you encountered in the restaurant and the poor level of service and professionalism from our restaurant and leisure club staff, this is quite unacceptable on our behalf and certainly not typical of the high level of service normally associated with the hotel. We have already carried out a full investigation and subsequently further staff training has been completed in order to improve the service to make sure that this kind of situation does not reoccur in the future.
With regards to your comment about the curtains not been able to close. Behind the dress curtains there are black-out curtains that fully open and close, I am sorry if this was not clear enough nor explained to you on arrival by our receptionist. I can only hope that this did not disturb your sleep too much.
We hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We arrived a couple of hours ahead of check-in time and was told our room would be ready in about an hour, so we stowed our luggage with the concierge and took a punt tour down the river which is only a minute from the hotel's entrance. The hotel is in a lovely position on the banks of the River Cam and within easy walking distance of all the attractions of the city. We had booked a balcony room overlooking the river and although small was very comfortable with a nice range of toiletries, good quality towels and bedding, a very comfortable bed, robes and slippers and nice teak furniture on the balcony. The room was beautifully clean however the balcony floor was not, somebody had split a drink which had left a sticky patch and it also hadn't been swept. I ordered ice from room service which was delivered amazingly quickly and we had a problem opening the minibar which the waiter tried everything to try and sort but was unable to solve. Generally, all of the staff we came into contact with were friendly and most helpful. We asked for their turndown service whilst we went out for dinner and came back to find everything had been cleaned and we had fresh towels, toiletries and tea and coffee supplies. The leisure facilities are good, with a pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna along with modern and clean changing facilities.

There was an excellent choice at breakfast with fresh fruits, meats, a variety of breads, croissants, muffins, juices and smoothies, eggs cooked to order and a pancake making machine,

The hotel parking is £17.50 however bearing in mind you are right in the centre of Cambridge and are able to park for longer than 24 hours, ie we arrived at 1pm and could park until midnight the following day I think this is good value.

Having stayed at most of the larger hotels in Cambridge, I think this represents the best value for money in terms of its position and facilities and is my first choice for future visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzanne C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My partner and i booked this hotel whilst it was on offer for a double room with a room upgrade for £130.00 for the one night. As it was a special occasion we had chosen the upgrade for a more memorable stay.
We has paid this before hand yet anoth £27.50 was added to my partners bill for car park and a room upgrade?

The hotel was very pretty, very clean and beautiful rooms, as we didnt eat in the restaurant or use the bar we didnt experience the service others had commented on.

The website states it has pool and spa facilities, be aware this is in the car park and not in the hotel and be aware of the times you chose to go as we used the facilities after our check out to find a waterbabies class was happening and we then could not swim.

Apart from the few blips the hotels location is perfect and right on the river for punting etc.

Room Tip: Riverside view rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for your extensive and constructive comments on this website. Although I was pleased you had overall enjoyed your stay with us I was sorry to read of the billing error you encountered and the problem with the access to the Leisure Club. We do have an entrance to the club via the car park as well as via the internal corridors of the hotel, I am sorry if you were not aware of this more convenient entrance to the Club via the hotel directly. I can only hope in the future you decide to return to the hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times and overall had a pleasant time. Positives - lovely rooms, great views, first class leisure facilities and a big car park. The hotel restaurant sadly lets the side down. My first experience in the restaurant was shocking - had an anniversary dinner with my wife and suffered some of the worst service and food ever in a Hilton property anywhere. The second stay was marginally better but I've now found some great local restaurants so dine out!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank DonnyUKtraveller
Aitziber H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear DonnyUKtraveller
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, feedback is of paramount importance to us and therefore despite being happy to read that overall you have always enjoyed your stays with us, we were very sorry to read of your disappointing experiences in the restaurant. We are working very hard on both service and food aspects of the restaurant and hopefully on your next visit you will enjoy your dining experience at the hotel. In the meantime we hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

The hotel is in a good central, yet quiet location, near a green. On arrival the welcome was good and we were given a cookie at the desk. Food is always a good way to ply people round! The room itself was immaculate, well appointed, large tv, nice bathroom, though perhaps the shower didn't match up to the high standard elsewhere. However for the price paid, the room did seem a little on the small side.

We had a balcony, which was a nice touch, despite the rain! The bed was lovely, best nights sleep i've had in a while. The breakfast was good, with lots of choice, vegetarians will not be going hungry!

There's nothing wrong with the hotel at all, however I feel that it is expensive for what it is and for the size of room offered. There are hotels at a similar price which are far more luxurious.

Dear emmapony
Thank you for your recent review, your feedback is always appreciated. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, very sorry to read that despite enjoying your stay with us you find us overpriced. We hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

As is often the case, the signs were there from the start. I was the only person at the Reception desk, arriving just as the receptionist was leaving the desk to point something out to a guest outside the hotel. Despite her calling for support from the back office, nobody came out, so I stood there waiting until she returned some five minutes later.

I'm a Gold hhonors member, so Hilton have a record of my room preferences - generally a high floor (to avoid traffic noise) and away from the elevators (to avoid elevator noise). So in a hotel that was probably 75% empty, they gave me a room directly opposite the elevators.

The room itself was very nice - practical, well designed, clean and comfortable. But there was a machine of some sort, I think on the roof, which turned itself on every ten minutes, 24/7, which made a loud whining noise. This caused me to lose probably three hours sleep every night for four nights.

On my first morning, nobody explained that once validated, a parking ticket was good for the whole stay, so I queued up again on Day 2, having thrown the previous day's ticket away.

The service in the bar was OK, but slow, although on one instance I experienced the familiar "member of staff looking very busy moving bottles around while guests waited for service" scenario.

On my last night, I decided to eat in the restaurant - I'd also done this on my first night and was reasonably happy. However, on my last night, I ordered "pork three ways with roast potato, green beans and apple sauce". The "roast potato" was a synthesised roundel of potato, rather like a mini donut. It was about four bites-worth. There was probably half a teaspoon of apple sauce. I asked my waiter for a side of fries, because I quite like some form of potato with my meat. He didn't ask me why either when I ordered them or when he bought them. He seemed amazed when I asked for them to be removed from the bill - perhaps his shock prevented him from apologising when I explained why I was unhappy.

Finally, when I checked out - no "was your stay OK" or anything like that. Given the rate I (or rather my company) paid of £180 per night, the whole experience was extremely poor. Goodness knows what things are like when they are busy.

Room Tip: Don't take one on the 3rd floor because of the incessant machine noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jorganmeister

Dear Jorganmeister
I was very concerned to read your review on TripAdvisor with regards your recent stay with us. I can see from your comments that there were some areas of your stay, mostly service and attention to detail, that did not seem to meet your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. We have already addressed all of these issues one by one with the relevant managers so that appropriate actions are taken so as to avoid these from happening again. I can only hope that in the future you decide to return to the DoubleTree Cambridge.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently (31st July and 1st August). Our room was overlooking the River Cam and was delightful. It was clean and well furnished. Double Tree hotels are among the very few that have sufficient light and mirrors for make-up too! The hotel is in an excellent position to explore Cambridge and to enjoy a trip on a punt too.
The disappointments? Well firstly, there was no notice on the back of our rooms door (room 204) to show an evacuation route in case of fire. We did point this out at reception and they have assured us that this will be attended to immediately so presumably that has been done.
We paid for internet connection for the two days as we have a daughter in the USA whom we usually contact daily. Firstly, it never ceases to amaze me that you have to pay extra at a Hilton hotel for this because free wi-fi is becoming the norm in most places and the charges are high - £15 for each 24hrs. Secondly, the connection was VERY flaky. We got someone up from the hotel to help because it kept dropping out. It connected while he was there but he had no idea why! We didn't get any session longer than a couple of 10 min sessions but neither of those were the right time to be able to Skype California.
We ate in the dining room both nights. The staff were excellent and the food very good too. However, on the second night, the couple at the table next to us had an iPad propped on the table while they watched and listened to the Olympics. We were not at all impressed that the restaurant manager had allowed this. We felt it was totally inappropriate for such a nice restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view are the best I suspect
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, however sorry to know you were not happy with the wifi charges. We do offer complimentary use of our Business centre on the ground floor, with free use of our computers, printing and wifi access. My apologies if this was not explained to you on check in. However, with regards your comment about the quality of the connection, I am very sorry for this problem, I will make sure that our Internet provider is aware of your comment and this is rectified immediately. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to UK.