“Back again!”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Spent a lovely three night break at this comfortable hotel between Xmas and New Year....our second visit! Must say the restaurant has greatly improved from our last visit....now highly recommended! The staff were very courteous and helpful, the room immaculate and bed/pillows extremely comfortable. Great location close to the centre of everything so great for shops, restaurants and of course the river. Highly recommended to all and Im sure we will return for the third time before too long!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, very thankful you have come again and delighted to know that you are planning on returning to the hotel in the future. Spring and summer are also beautiful months to visit Cambridge, the perfect place for long walks or a punt along the river Cam. We definitely look forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here with my husband for two nights.. very comfortable stay.. nice spacious rooms and neat bathrooms.
The restayrant serving breakfast was next to an open garden .. it was amazing to enjoy breakfast with lush green grass and stream of water. Would definitely recommend this place for people going to Cambridge,
Best part is the hotel is situated just 5 min walk from Citi Center :)

Room Tip: River view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear AvantikaBansal
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the rooms, bathrooms and location of the hotel and delighted you were able to benefit from and appreciate the views from the restaurant at breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My son and I stayed here for one night over the Christmas holidays 2012. Overall we were very impressed with the room (riverside with balcony) which was modern and well appointed with a nice shower and bath and a very comfortable bed. As per the other reviews I find it hard to understand why hotels feel the need to charge for WiFi (£12) when most cafes and restaurants provide it free of charge these days. Breakfast was also an additional £12 per person, but was probably worth it, although the buffet area is quite small and can get very cramped. The location of the hotel is excellent, although quite difficult to find as the road leading from the main road is marked as a "no through road" Parking is in a public car park next to the hotel and was an additional £18 for 24 hours, but this is acceptable as parking nearby the city centre is always expensive. My main gripe with the hotel is the lack of service and communication one would expect having paid £120 per room. We had pre booked two rooms, one for my partner and her son and one for my son and I. Unfortunately my partners son was taken ill with the sickness bug that was doing the rounds over Christmas and was unable to join us. As we checked in at around 2pm and notified the check in desk that we only required one room, we had hoped that we would receive something back as we were confident they could let the room to someone else. We didn't expect a full refund as the rooms were booked through a travel website and were non refundable. However, we would have expected some vouchers towards a future stay or free breakfasts on our next visit as a gesture from the hotel. Unfortunately, despite visiting the check in desk and raising the matter with three different members of staff (including the lady who checked us in) we received no response to any of our enquiries. I even left my mobile number on check out and was assured the duty manager would be in contact. No one bothered to even call us. When I got home I decided to e-mail the hotel and give it one last try, it is now two weeks since our stay and I have still had no contact from the hotel! This is a shame as the hotel itself is very nice and we would like to return another day, but the lack of response leaves a somewhat bitter taste in our mouths as it only takes five minutes to reply to a customer query...... I would have given a "Very Good" rating to the hotel had it not been for this

Room Tip: River side rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear pdjroberts
Thank you for your review, I was pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us. I was sorry to read that your partner’s son was unwell. As you rightly mentioned our ‘non refundable’ policy meant that by cancelling on such short notice we could not refund one your rooms. However, I was appalled to read how badly was this situation handled, as you should have received a response to your requests, unfortunately we have no records of these for which I offer my most sincere apology. We are carrying further investigation into the matter and as a result additional training will be carried out so that this kind of communication problem does not recur in the future.
Once again, please accept our apologies if this experience left you with a bitter taste. We sincerely hope you will not be deterred from returning to the hotel as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed here with colleagues during a two day meeting in Cambridge, nice hotel great location, the rooms were OK I found the shower was not user friendly with not much power.

The staff were good at night keeping the bar going for the benefit of the guests which was a nice touch.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

Again this is a well placed hotel for toursits to Cambridge right by Scudermores Puntting and a short walk from the historic sights.

One issue for me was the £18:50 to park the car over night a right rip off and a overall let down for the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a river facing room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear KevinLondon
Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate constructive comments. Glad you enjoyed your business trip and that you were also able to benefit from the charismatic features that Cambridge has to offer.
However, I was sorry to read that this was partly marred by the car parking charges on check out. These charges are comparable to other major city centre car parking charges and to that of the alternative option for a guest in using a NCP car park in Cambridge. It is also a very compatible value for many as guests can leave the car from the early hours of the day checking in and for the remaining of the day after they have checked out. We do ensure that these charges are clearly advertised both at the entrance to the car park and also on our own and third party booking websites so that alternate arrangements can be made if necessary.
We honestly hope that this will not deterred you from returning to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

stayed here for one night whilst dropping our daughter at university. We loved the location, very close in to town, on door step practically. Room was fine with all the usual facilities. Nothing special but good value for what you get. Set right on the river would be nice in the summer to sit in the gardens there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear carmellasoprano
Thank you for your last review, I was pleased to see that your quick visit to Cambridge to drop your daughter to university was a pleasant one. We look forward to welcome you back in the summer and enjoy the river, our gardens and everything else that we have to offer.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The Hotel is lovely, and very well situated. The staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient, breakfast was great, but I thought the warm cookie on arrival was gimmicky - it simply reminded me that I was basically staying in a very expensive hotel and being charged an arm and a leg for a bed for the night... Caviar would have been more fitting given their prices. The room was clean and a nice size, but I was absolutely gobsmacked to find out that internet access was another £15! To pay ~£170 a night, and then be expected to pay extra for internet access is criminal and utterly tarnishes the Doubletree Hilton image because it just makes them come across as exploitative and money grabbing. I would have given the hotel a 5* rating - it has everything you'd expect from an expensive hotel - great location, lovely staff, all the facilities - but I resent being ripped off, and that is how I felt. Internet access is pretty much a basic human right now... if starbucks and macdonalds can give it to their customers for free, then so can expensive hotels.

Room Tip: You can pay extra for balcony / river views
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam H

Dear Sam H
Thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, however I was very sorry to know that you were not happy with the WiFi charges and this would in fact prevent you from returning to us. We do offer complimentary use of our Business centre on the ground floor, with free use of our computers, printing and WiFi access. My apologies if this was not explained to you on check in.
I honestly hope that this issue will not tarnish your memories of an enjoyable stay and you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

My girlfriend and i recently stayed at the doubletree in cambridge, having been there before we knew what to expect, but this time it exceeded all expectations!! We had a warm welcoming, when we had a problem with our room it was soon rectified and were even given an upgraded room!
The bar was very warm and welcoming and we were served by a barman named Tom. Overall he made our stay that little more special creating personalised cocktails for us and helping us with choosing places to dine and visit.
Will be back very soon!!

Chris

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris_Chef2
I was very glad to see of your enjoyable stay with us. It was a real pleasure to receive comments such as yours and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Tom and rest of the team, I know that they will be pleased to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel in the near future.