“Definitely not worth the money”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is clean and modern but some bad management decisions make it a PR disaster. The first problem is that it is expensive, a king bed with a river view costs £295.00 per night. Our room was well fitted out but small with limited room to unpack and a cramped bathroom, very disappointing for the price. On arrival we were told that leaving our car in the car park would cost an additional £18.00 for 24 hours. When I queried this, I was told I should be grateful because the standard car park rate is £2.00 per hour so we should expect to pay £48.00. When we asked about internet access I was told that a single device would cost an additional £7.00 for 24 hours or we could pay for 3 devices which would cost £15.00! The final insult was a £1.00 donation to the Hilton Foundation which was added to our bill without our consent. This small minded profiteering combined with apathetic staff left us feeling plundered by the large Hilton corporation, needless to say we wont be rushing back to repeat our experience at the Doubletree.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Colin J
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear HarpendenHerts
Thank you for your review. We thank you for your comments and assure you we are really sorry that you felt every charge was mean intentional. All of our extra charges are clearly specified during the booking process and on the confirmation correspondence. Especially our car parking charges which are fairly standard and comparable to other major city centre car parking charges and to that of the alternative option for a guest in using a NCP car park in Cambridge. It is also a very compatible value for many as guests can leave the car from the early hours of the day checking in and for the remaining of the day after they have checked out.
With regards to your last comment about the £1 donation to the Hilton Foundation being small minded profiteering, I quite disagree with this observation. This donation is part of the Hilton Foundation ‘Small Change Big Difference’ initiative. With this you and us cam make a difference to a young person’s life in the local community. It helps provide a brighter future by funding a piece of equipment to facilitate a young person’s education. It can help provide a training course, support children in care, help young people gain life-long skills or simply help provide a shoulder for someone having a tough time. Of course this donation is optional and we understand that some people prefer not to participate, this can easily be removed by advising Reception which would do so without hesitation. I am sorry if you were not aware of the full extend our good intentions.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,164)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

A nice, clean, central Cambridge hotel, but I didn't think this was worth the £170 for one night's stay. They charge for wifi, parking is £18.50 for hotel residents, which both felt a bit cheeky given the price of the room. I did get a welcome cookie on arrival though!! Room service food was good too. It has a reasonable gym, pool, jacussi, sauna and steam room, fairly standard stuff though. I know it's quite standard but it does annoy me when there is a mini-bar in the room but no space to chill my bottle of water because if you move anything in the mini-bar you get charged for it! I would return - if they had an offer on!

Room Tip: Room 120 - which was fine
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jenny K
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Jenny K
Many thanks for your review. Although I was glad to know that you had enjoyed your stay I was disappointed to read that you did not agree with the WiFi and car parking charges. We do offer complimentary use of our Business centre on the ground floor, with free use of our computers, printing and WiFi access. My apologies if this was not explained to you on check in.
With regards to the car parking charges, these charges are comparable to other major city centre car parking charges and to that of the alternative option for a guest in using a NCP car park in Cambridge. It is also a very compatible value for many as guests can leave the car from the early hours of the day checking in and for the remaining of the day after they have checked out. We do ensure that these charges are clearly advertised both at the entrance to the car park and also on our own and third party booking websites so that alternate arrangements can be made if necessary.
I can only hope that as you mentioned you will join us again at the DoubleTree by Hilton in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Go and visit Tom the mixologist (not your ordinary bar man).
After popping into the bar, just for a coffee...Toms passion for cocktails led us to trying his own fantastic creations, which weren't what you would normally expect from an out of the city hotel bar. We will most certainly go back and make an evening of it... Great fun!

Stayed: November 2013

Dear LadyLjet
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic feedback. We are indeed very lucky to have Tom, a wealth of knowledge and passion in the bar and a great inspiration to us all. We are glad to know that he made your evening such an enjoyable experience and I am sure he is, as we are, looking forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic night.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is nice but it looks like a chain and not a unique hotel. The rooms are nice but not a huge step up from a basic chain. For paying over £200 for a room you expect something special. Yes the location is great - right next to the punting. The restaurant is nice - not fine dining. The breakfast was a good selection.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Engalndholidaymum

Thank you for your review. Although disappointed largely with your comments, I am pleased that overall you did enjoy your stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cambridge. We fervently try to make one and every guest’s experience a unique one but we are after all a chain hotel, I am sorry if you were not aware of this.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The location is lovely: get a room thst overlooks the Cam (I think.) Location is great: almost center of city but also removed.

The room (modern as one would expect) was rather small; we continuously bumped into things.

Service was kind of friendly even tbough our bill was messed up. The concierge was not therr when needed. And, if you want wi-fi, that is £15 a day. Robbery. It spoiled our stay there.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajksoar
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Tucked away at the end of Granta place the hotel sits directly adjacent to the River Cam. The rooms were spacious and contemporary, although wifi was not included as standard but was charged extra. The lounge and breakfast area overlook the river where it's possible to go punting. Breakfast itself consisted of a self-serve buffet with full English and continental choices. Ordinarily I would not have stayed had the rooms not already been prepaid by my employer. I can't say it's great value for money if you're splitting with your own cash, I'm sure there are plenty cheaper hotels in Cambridge of an adequate standard. Overall a pleasant - but not out of the ordinary - stay. ps parking is charged £18.50/day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to know that despite enjoying your pleasant stay with us we did not managed to make your stay a memorable one, for which I am very sorry. I will pass your comments to all the managers for some brainstorming for the future.
The time taken along with the effort made to share your comments with us is most appreciated. We look forward to having the honour of welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very good central location. Standard Hilton rooms, well maintained, comfortable beds & big tv screen. Mini bar has sensors and no space for one's own stuff - I don't like this. Public areas pretty good, although corridors a little old fashioned. On the downside the pool is not up to the job. It is too small for the size of hotel and the changing area is tiny. Hotel should provide dressing gowns so you can change in your room. I heard that hotel may be planning to replace the pool with more rooms? Breakfast was decent enough and improved by the great views of the river. A good size car park is available. It costs £18.50 per night but I think that is ok for Cambridge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor, your feedback is always appreciated.
I was pleased to see from your ratings and comments that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We take your valid comments on-board about the dressing gowns. For now, we just look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.