“Very good apart from the charge of £4.50 for a bottle of water and overcharging on bill”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed for one night at the Hilton. Excellent location on the river and a few minutes walk into the centre of Cambridge. All staff were pleasant and my daughter was particularly pleased with the cookies on arrival Rooms were modern and spacious although very hot. Bar area nice and comfortable and bar reasonably priced.

We upgraded to breakfast for £12.00 per person and worth the money again in nice surroundings.

We had no menu for the mini bar in our room and in the middle of the night I was desperate for water, which was a pretty standard size small bottle and I was shocked to find the next day I was charged £4.50 for this bottle of water!!!! The same price as a pint of beer from the hotel bar. I queried it and was told this was indeed the price. This left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth as it was just a complete rip off.

My parents also had £17 put on their bill for refreshments that they didn't have and this was taken off the bill when queried On check out we heard another party adamant they didn't have drinks at the bar that they were being charged for.

All in all a lovely hotel nice location and pleasant staff but make sure you double check your bills!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear kerrie h
Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that all in all you found the hotel to be lovely and the staff pleasant and appreciated the perfect centre location of the hotel. However, our apologies for the errors in the bill, this is certainly not up to our usual high standards. Our Reception Manager is already aware of your experience and he is taking further steps to make sure that this does not happen again. For now, we can only hope to be able to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge sometime in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,161)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here over the weekend to bridge some business travel. I have to say up front that I have never experienced better service anywhere. Even before I checked in, the hotel was contacting me to see if they could be of assistance. When I did check in, the reception was top notch. In fact, through out my stay, the employees in all areas were spectacularly accomodating and helpful. A special call out to Pankha at the front desk who even went out of his way to let me use his personal iPhone charger after I discovered mine was lost. I did notice that the service at the bar was a bit less than elsewhere within the hotel. I would consider the attentiveness of the staff at the bar to be normal compared to typical hotel--it only was noticed as the staff were so exemplary everywhere else.

Rooms were nice, although a bit dated and not in perfect repair. But, the bed was comfortable and the view of the Cam river was nice.

The location makes this hotel worth it. You can walk easily to anything of interest within the city from the hotel. Within 5 minutes you can be completely in the middle of the amazing Cambridge University complex of colleges.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace overlooking the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear MikeSchrek

Thank you so very much for your most kind comments about our team members. This will be a great boost to their moral, it is always very uplifting to know that hard work does not go unnoticed! We take all of your comments on board as well and promise to work on them. For now, we truly hope you return to Cambridge and the DoubleTree on your next business travel or for leisure when we will be eager to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here July of 2013. I was so excited to be in Cambridge for business and during the birth of Prince George. The unfortunate part of my trip was that it was also during the country's hottest heat wave since 2006 and I hate the heat! I will say I'm lucky that the Doubletree had air conditioning, as I know it's a rare occurrence in the UK, but the hotel's were so weak I slept horribly all week.

Heat aside, as it is not the Doubletree's fault that it was so hot, I would definitely return to this hotel. My room's bathroom was beautiful, the location is fabulous, and the staff was so nice! Every night I would grab a drink from the bar and sit on the river reading a book. The bar staff was great! Told me where to go for dinner and made some delicious drinks!

The WiFi is not strong and is expensive so I only tried to use it twice while I was there. However, the WiFi not really working just made me relax when I got "home" from working rather than trying to continue to work. The gym is tiny but at least there was one!

I'm hoping work sends me back to Cambridge someday!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear lwickert

Thank you for your review. It was indeed a hot summer last year and probably too hot for our British aircon system. However, I was pleased to know that despite this, you managed to make the most of the hotel and its facilities and enjoyed your stay in Cambridge. We as well hope you come back to Cambridge, work related or leisure!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Location is great, we had a view of the river and kingsize bed was very comfy and atmosphere felt good. I made an error with booking and reception was quite off putting, even though it was a genuine mistake and there were plenty of rooms. Afternoon cream tea, service poor and actual tea not good (no loose leaf earl grey and did not bring correct tea for darjeeling). Health club a bit tired, but Plenty of places to walk nearby! Parking is £18.50 per day.

Room Tip: River view best, but you may have to pay more
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel H

Dear Rachel H
Thank you for your review and kind comments about the location and the bedroom. However, I was disappointed to know of your feelings regarding the check in process. Our receptionist did not mean in any way to be off putting and I am very sorry you felt this way. She was only trying to explain that you had made the booking for another date on a pre-paid non changeable and non refundable much more cost-effective rate, and she was only trying to help by finding the best possible solution. I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from returning to the hotel as we value your patronage and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hotel is pleasant, not a wow but decor is quite stylish and I can imagine that on a nice day the views must be lovely. We arrived just after 12 but the lounge area was full. We enquired about eating in the restaurant but that wasn't open until 1pm (never come across that before). So we took a seat at the bar (they were nice seats) and looked at the Bar Menu. The barman was very polite and welcoming and we ordered a bottle of wine and 2 salads. The atmosphere was relaxed and we were able to enjoy a leisurely afternoon. However, at £96 for 2 salads, 2 bottles of wine and a cappuccino up at the bar it's not likely to become one of my regular Saturday lunch spots.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Love almost everything!!! The room was great , Spacious and clean- the staff very friendly and helpful!!! Excellent location!! I didn't like the breakfast - very poor - however the view while having our breakfast was stunning!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were staying over for an Old Hall Formal dinner and needed accommodation. The location was excellent being very near to the function and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice to have breakfast overlooking the Cam. If the weather was nicer we could have enjoyed the balcony more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple