“Not the Garden House”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for my wife's Birthday weekend. I used to work as a chef in the next door in the Grad Pad, so I know Cambridge very well. lets get positives first. the hotel is very clean and modern after it's refit. the rooms are comfortable and well equipped. The TV works very well, which is unusual. There was only one receptionist which meant it took a while to check in, the car parking is expensive at £18 for guests I know parking is a premium in Cambridge. When we got back in the evening we ordered cocktails, from the menu, I was told there was no powdered egg white , so no I couldn't have my cocktail. But the server was very receptive when I suggested that she got an egg from the kitchen. So Not to bad really. over £200 though to lay our heads I think is a little excessive

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Matt D
Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree Cambridge for your wife’s birthday weekend. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to access the standard of our facilities and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations. It was particularly pleasing to read your initial impression of the hotel and that of our team member at the bar was very receptive to your kind suggestion.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have stayed here a dozen times ranging from 1-2 weeks each time. This is a hotel that has progressively been going downhill. I would certainly avoid this overpriced hotel for other choices. I started staying here in 2004 when it was called the Cambridge Garden/Moat house hotel and they had regular TVs not the flat panels. Some taxi drivers still identify it by that name. If you get a room facing the river in the summer make sure you don’t leave your windows open . The bugs will probably carry you out. In my dozen trips there was always something that was messed up, but I was willing to overlook it given that it was conveniently located than the Crowne Plaza and the preferred hotel of my employer. Let me explain a few things,
1. Put in a room with air conditioning not working in summer
2. On checkout the credit card machine was broken and when I reached home I saw an excess charge of 10 GBP for something like swimming trunks. I don’t swim!!! Called the hotel and there were extremely unhelpful.
3. Chipped china. At breakfast the green color cups they use to match their décor (chairs I guess) is really old. As I was drinking coffee, I felt something cut my lips (the chine and broken leaving a sharp groove). I called the waitress and asked her to take it away explaining the problem.
4. The rooms: They are fairly expensive but what other place in Cambridge isn’t. Despite paying a fairly high room rate if you get a room facing the parking lot get ready to be worken up by the dumpster truck at 4.30 AM. The room I stayed in once was just a bigger coat closet.
5. Several rooms that have a balcony had a serious pigeon droppings problem which make them unusable.
6. The beds themselves are clean but the restrooms twice were not cleaned twice when I got the rooms new and I had to immediately call the cleaning staff to have them cleaned.
7. Once my colleague and I arrived on work from the States and they did not have a room for my colleague. They had booked him at the Crowne Plaza. So one of us had to stay there and keep commuting. No apologies or anything.
The only positive is that the supporting staff (the concierge and porters) are very helpful. That is the saving grace. I have now effectively stopped going here. I should have written this review earlier.

Room Tip: Stay away from the parking lot. Preferably facing the river.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear TheSeattleTraveller
Thank you for your extensive review. I won’t go into so much detail to respond to your review, just to thank you for the time taken to leave such a constructive feedback of your past stays and assure you that we are taking all of comments and suggestion seriously and actions will be taken where appropriate. We are very sorry that you no longer stay with us and we can only hope you or your employer will decide to return to the DoubleTree Cambridge where we are always listening to our guests and adapting in as much as possible to our customers’ needs.

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great location for enjoying the sights and stunning architecture of Cambridge. Directly on the river bank, the views were stunning. We were disappointed with our room, it was sold as a King Hilton Suite with private balcony. Really it was a slightly bigger room with a tatty sofa in it and the balcony was a 2ft x 3ft grubby little area, no furniture. Having said that the weather was perishing so we didn't want to use it anyway, but would have been really annoyed had it been better. I had to ask for the bathroom floor to be re cleaned, but other than that it was spotless. One of the main draws was the spa facilities, however the steam room was broken and the pool was tiny. Breakfast was good, and throughout our stay the service was first class and very friendly. A word of warning, they charge £18.50 per day to use the car park. Drinks in the bar are also expensive.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear 569Sarah
Thank you for your review. I was very sorry to read that despite the stunning views and location, fantastic service and facilities, you were disappointed with the setting of your room for which I offer my sincere apology. I will pass on your comments to the relevant managers for future refurbishments of the bedrooms. For now, I can only hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We have stayed in this hotel multiple times over the past year or so when my husband has been in town on business. We usually stay for about 3-5 nights.

The location of this hotel is excellent. Its right in the heart of town and has its own car park - which is a pretty rare combination for Cambridge. For that reason alone, if you are driving to Cambridge but you want to be able to ditch the car to enjoy the city its a great choice. Once you are here its an easy walk to the city centre shopping, colleges etc. The hotel parking isn't cheap - but its competitively priced for Cambridge (where parking is super-expensive everywhere).

It is also right on the river - many of the rooms overlook the river and some have small balconies (unfurnished & just big enough to stand on) - so there are nice views if you can get a room on that side of the building. The window and balcony door opens so you can get some fresh air into the room - but there is also AC available which is a bonus (although as other reviewers have commented, its not the strongest AC system). It's great that there is a pool/gym onsite too.

We've found the rooms to be a tad on the small side - especially as we usually have a couple of medium sized suitcases and we have been staying quite a few nights. When in use, the desk chair takes up virtually the whole space between the desk and the foot of the bed so it is hard to get past when someone is sitting there. I definitely wouldn't say they're the best rooms in town. However, they are comfortable and well equipped. For a shorter stay with less luggage it would not be an issue.

The hotel hosts quite a lot of functions and on one trip we were troubled with the noise from a party that was going on downstairs. When we complained we were shown to a couple of other alternative rooms but the party could still be heard from those even though they were in different parts of the hotel. In the end we decided it wasn't worth the hassle to move. We were told that the party would finish at a particular time and to be fair, it duly did. Apart from that one occasion the rooms have been pretty quiet.

One question though - why is the bottled water in the room SOOOO expensive??? Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to pay a premium for the convenience of just pulling a bottle out of the minibar. But £4.50 for a very average half litre bottle is just a blatantly outrageous mark up which leaves you feeling ripped off.

Overall, we would stay here again - indeed we have done so - even though it's not our "favourite" hotel in Cambridge. What keeps us coming back is the combination of facilities & location for the room rates charged - which is hard to beat in this city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy_Jones

Dear Lucy_Jones
Thank you for your latest review and for your support over the past year, we really appreciate feedback from regular guests. I am sorry for the inconvenience with noise on one of the occasions. I can only hope that on your next stays you will come to us not only for our convenient combination of excellent facilities, location and room rates but also because we have won your heart and become your ‘favourite’ hotel in Cambridge. We will keep working hard to become that.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The location is very good and the rooms are up to the usual good Hilton standard. The biggest challenge for me was finding the place. Perhaps my GPS has not been updated but no matter what I tried, I kept being sent down a deadend. So my tip is that if you do book this hotel you make yourself acquainted with the approach to the hotel which is down the Fen Causeway. Obviously, I was in a noticeably bad mood on a arrival, not entirely helped by the difficulties finding the place and the long and time consuming check-in process (they couldn't get their credit card reader to work initially and kept asking for another card - eventually when I suggested it might be the machine rather than the card, they tried a new machine and, hey presto, it worked! The check-in staff then said "Here, have a cookie, perhaps it will put you in a better mood". Nice touch Hilton. Missed breakfast so can't comment on that. If you do go by car, and you manage to find the place, the paid outside parking area is pretty good with easy access into the hotel from the rear. As said, the location was great, right by the river and only a stone's throw from two nice pubs.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mick 189932
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry to read the troubles you went through to get to the hotel due to the GPS directions, I wish we could change that!
However, I was pleased to know that we managed to pick you up from an initial bad mood and from then on your stay was a smooth one.
Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge for 1 night, whilst seeign something at the Corn Exchange. First impressions of the hotel were excellent, from the Concierge meeting us and parking the car for us, to the reception staff who very efficient and polite. The warm cookies were a nice touch,

The room itself, was very pleasant and clean. The big was very large and comfortable. The room also benefitted from a small balcony and view of the river. All in all I couldnt fault the room.

We had some drinks in the bar before at the start of the evening and when we returned to the hotel. Once again the staff there were very firendly and efficient.

The location of the hotel is ideal, it's just a 5-10 minute walk into the heart of the city centre. But it's set back from the main roads, so you don't have lot's of traffic passign the hotel.

In the morning whilst having breakfast, again all the staff were very welcoming and helpful. In particular one member of staff, I think his name was Manuel, was extreemly helpful and attentive. Even after breakfast whilst I was waiting near the bar for my Wife, Manuel approached me and asked if he could get me anything and asked about our plans, and wished us an enjoyable day shopping etc. He gave the impression he genuinely wanted to help. It's always nice stay at hotel where all staff seemed friendly and keen to help. I've stayed in many hotels over the years where that wasnt the case.

All in all I would highly reccomend staying at this hotel. If I return to Cambridge, I will certainly book this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob C
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Rob C
What a fantastic stay you had in Cambridge! I am really pleased to know that everything went smooth whilst at the hotel and that you made the most of it. We are especially happy to hear your comments about all of the team members, special mention to our delightful Manuel, always helpful, attentive and friendly, I am sure that he will be just as thrilled with your comments of appreciation as we are. Thank you for your recommendation and hope to see you back at the DoubleTree Cambridge very soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Rooms are dated, mattress was sad, food was ok. Location is convenient but otherwise it’s overpriced. Apparently I need to include at least 200 characters to make this a legitimate review. I hope this additional words help.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Kurt U

Dear Kurt U
Thank you for short but concise review.
As I mentioned during our direct communications, we are very sad to see that due to the mattress you were not able to enjoy your stay and the hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the poor night sleep you experienced, we had not received any other negative comment about the mattress in room 243, however now that we have received your comment we will be looking into it immediately and change the mattress accordingly.
Once again our apologies, we can only hope that this will not deterred you from returning to the hotel as we look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the future.