“Hit...and miss”

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Oldham, England
“Hit...and miss”
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We booked a 3 night package (including dinner on 2 nights) tthrough the hotel's centralised telephone booking system, after the price calculated by their website was incorrect.

Check-in was fine, but I wasn't convinced the special package offer had been logged correctly; concierge very good.

Room 141 was fine - not big, but a decent bathroom and a nice balcony. Despite advanced request, a cot had not been provided. To the hotel's credit, this was remedied very quickly, as were a couple of other requests.

We came across many INSECTS inside the room and restaurant during our stay. Mosquitoes, spiders, fruit flies - it didn't inspire confidence in the hotel's cleanliness, especially given the volume of spider's webs we encountered.

The main restaurant was being refurbished during our stay, but we were able to take breakfast and dinner in the adjacent brasserie area. Dinner on the first night was excellent and the service was good. The starters were ENORMOUS and the quality of each course was very good.

Buffet breakfast was good each day - plenty of choice and decent quality. High chairs were poor, though - some broken, some dirty.

Dinner on the 3rd night (a Sunday) was a very disappointing experience. The service was very slow and impersonal. Also, the hotel's wine list was very limited, but we were refused permission to bring our own bottle in.

The leisure club is good, although the pool is a little small.

Check out was poor. Despite TWICE talking to the reception staff to double check that our special package offer had been logged correctly, we were presented with an incorrect bill. This was eventually remedied, but there was no apology and this is not the kind of service one would expect from a 4-star hotel that is part of an established international chain.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but the experience was tainted by a lack of attention to detail. The staff could make this a first class establishment, but on this evidence, they need to care more and avoid the niggly problems that we experienced.

• Liked — Food quality, balcony in room, leisure club
  • Disliked — Restaurant service, insects, reception experience, expensive car park
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank p_wolstenholme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I picked this hotel because of the proximity to Queen's College where my daughter was staying for a summer college programme. I would definitely stay again. Rooms were clean and adequately furnished. The room we had featured a small deck with a table and two chairs. Not a great view but okay. Unless you're going for a romantic weekend and/or planning never to leave the room - why pay extra for a view. We were situated street side but, at the end where the road stopped and the footpath to the fields began. Perfect for that first cup of coffee in the morning.

Concierge staff was very helpful and friendly. Barmaids were friendly as well. Front desk staff, just okay. We did not eat in the hotel restuarant but, we did enjoy coffee and breakfast in the grassy outdoor dining area next to the lock and pond. Very peaceful experience - except for the occasional bee - watching a family of ducks convorting in the water and "people watching" as the byclists rode by on the bike/foot path towards the Colleges.

Bathrooms were clean and the tub/shower combo had good water pressure. The shower was one of those wall mounted hand held wand types. Which is a big plus for a hotel bathroom in my opinion. We did have to call housekeeping for more wash clothes as only one was provided. I don't really remember the bathroom products since I always take my own.

The beds and pillows . . . The beds were extemely firm. I'm not going to say whether that is good or bad. I slept fine. You will have to judge for yourself if you go. The bed linens were nice - clean and crisp. The pillows were big and fluffy feather pillows. Here's my only complaint - we only stayed the one night but my pajamas reeked of that "wet dog" smell from those pillows for the remainder of my visit to England. I would recommend asking for foam or polyester batting pillows upon arrival.

Overall it was good experience. I travel quite a bit up and down the west coast in the US, and have stayed at many Hilton properties. This hotel was up to my standards. I would definately choose it again. And, I reiterate, the location was great. Within walking distance to all the major sites.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank hopsnscotch
London
Reviewed 30 August 2008

This is a very smart looking hotel with a great location on the river in the middle of town. The room was a decent size and well-equipped. The free cookie on check-in was a nice touch. Breakfast was good.

Overall though we felt that the hotel could have been better. At £200 a night (including breakfast) it's hardly cheap, so being hit with a £12 a night car parking charge felt excessive. The air-conditioning in the room was feeble, which meant that the room was uncomfortably warm. There was a small clump of someone else's hair lurking behind the bathroom door in a place the cleaner clearly hadn't reached. Getting served in the bar proved difficult on the Sunday night. To be fair the staff were dealing with a wedding-party at the time, but this suggests that there should have been more staff on duty.

In summary, this is a hotel with a lot to offer but which needs to pay a little more attention to the details.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor air-conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank clive_at_blackheath
London
Reviewed 27 August 2008

OK first the good news. It is in a great location on the river pretty much in the middle of town.

Secondly the reasonable news. The room itself was fine. It looked like it had been recently refurbished and was clean and comfortable.

Thirdly the bad news. The service was I think the worst I have ever experienced in a 4 star hotel. When we arrived they couldn't find our booking and basically suggested it was our fault before eventually finding it next to the fax machine but that is a minor niggle. What annoyed me was that we tried to have afternoon tea in the garden. We regretted the decision almost as soon as we sat down because despite not being very busy the garden was a complete mess with dirty plates and drinks all over the place attracting lots and lots of wasps. We still ordered an afternoon tea. It took a good 15 minutes for the drinks to arrive but after 30 minutes there was still no sign of the food. I went to check and was assured it was on its way. After another 15 minutes I went back to check again and they told us the kitchen actually hadn't received the order but it would now be out in five minutes (we are only talking about a couple of sandwiches and a few cakes being put on a plate here). After yet another 15 minutes I went back to check again and was told it would be there any minute. It finally turned up about 10 minutes later and was disgusting. The sandwiches were dry and the scones had plainly been warmed in a microwave so were very, very rubbery. It was basically inedible.

To be fair they didn't try to charge us for it but nor were they very apologetic. Several of the waiting staff didn't seem to speak much English and the place gave a general impression of chaos.

The health centre was also small (the pool in particular is tiny), seems to be open to the general public and is not particularly clean. Basically, all in all not a very happy experience.

I might stay there again just for the location if the Hotel du Vin was fully booked as there aren't very many central hotels in Cambridge. I really wouldn't us the bar or restaurant again though.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawyer-London
Leeds
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Well, I booked a long weekend at this hotel for mine and my girlfriends 1-year anniverary - It did not disappoint! It is better than any hilton and to be quite honest, the hilton hotels could learn a lot from this hilton 'brand/off-shoot.'

The room was amazing and overlooked the punting river. The decor was really modern, lots of facilities/services in the room and a 40" flat screen on the wall topped things off - not to mention the bed which we both had the best nights sleep in!

Only down points: breakfast was a bit standard and some of the foreign staff looked like they had been slapped around the face with a wet fish. This still gets a five star review because of the location and the free homemade cookies - they are everywhere!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CDMLeeds
Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Well, I have read a few old reviews and from my point of view, the hotel has REALLY picked up. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Upon arrival you are given each a cookie (which are delicious!) and kids are given a backpack which, I know my daughters enjoyed! However, if you dont like a slight smell of farms in only a small section of the lobby, you may want to take this into account. There is a stunning outdoor patio with an indor bar and great seating options. When the weather is nice, you can just fall asleep with the sound of falling water of a nearby waterfall (lock). There is a very well-kept green next to this which my daughters enjoyed practicing their gymnastics! We went to dinner at the Riverside restaurant and the food was amazing! I'm not sure how long ago the "bad" period of the hotel was but I can positivly assure you it is well and truly over!! The buffet for breakfast also has a broad selection. Please note, car parking isnt free...

• Liked — The outdoor area.
  • Disliked — the smell in the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank YayTravelling
DC
Reviewed 19 July 2008

This hotel has a lot going for it: a pleasant bar; a pretty terrace overlooking the river; and well equipped rooms. However, it's let down by its staff. Waited half an hour in breakfast room to be offered tea / coffee one morning - no staff in sight. Similar situation in the bar, where staff seem to studiously ignore the idea of table service. Saddest of all ............. no cocktail menu!

• Liked — terrace overlooking river
  • Disliked — lazy staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)