“Cambridge Doubletree” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London, United Kingdom
“Cambridge Doubletree”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Don't even touch anything in the minibar or on the tray or you will be charged. The signs advising this are really OTT and for the room rate being charged guests do not want to feel their actions are being monitored.No notice to say if tea and coffee in room was complimentary or not. Rubbish breakfast - cold croissants and lukewarm coffee and only one cup per person

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Lorraine M
Thank you for your review. I know from our direct communications with yourself that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, we are really sorry to read of your feelings with regards the signage in the room, initially we didn't have signs by the minibars, but many guests were complaining that they did not understand the system and felt outraged when discovering at check out that they had been charged for something they had only lifted to read, hence the explanatory signs. On the other hand, and in order not to clutter the rooms we have not displayed any signs by the tea&coffee facilities as these are generally complimentary in most hotels and therefore guests usually don't need further clarifications. However, I am sorry if this was confusing for you or you felt monitored.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel last week as part of a two-week tour around the U.K, and I must admit I was a little disappointed with some key aspects of the hotel considering the high cost of the room rate. While the location was perfect and had a lovely view of the river, we too were disturbed by parties/weddings both nights we were there. The loud music went well beyond midnight, which was not helpful for two jet lagged travelers. Our room was also terribly warm and when we called to see if the air conditioning could be fixed we were informed it was not actually an "air conditioned" room...something about it being a cooler or a fan in the room but not a/c. Concierge was very helpful in eventually bringing us a portable a/c unit, but again, for $300 (U.S.) per night, I would expect air conditioning. There was also NO WIFI in the entire hotel. Not even in the lobby. Again, in a town that attracts many international guests, most with devices needing wifi to stay in touch with work and relatives outside of the U.K., I would expect to at least have free wifi in the lobby. Of course we were able to use the business center if we needed to access the internet, but in this day and age that is of little consolation (I can use wifi on my international flight over, but not my hotel room??!!) I would reiterate that the staff was as accommodating as they could possibly be, but if this hotel is going to continue asking prices well into the $300 range during peak season they need to up their game.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cfrogers83
Thank you for your review. We were very sorry to read that despite enjoying your stay at the hotel and mentioning that the staff were accommodating you felt a little disappointed. We have duly noted your constructive comments as feedback is always an important way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very nice hotel, we had a lovely corner room looking out over the River Cam. The hotel is a little difficult to get to especially on a Saturday when the traffic patterns are changed up for pedestrians, but once we walked to the hotel and were able to get specific directions it was easy enough to get there. Parking is conveniently located behind the hotel, be sure to get your ticket validated at the front desk for the resident rate.

Public facilities are very nice, we did not eat at the in-house restaurant for dinner however it was an impressive spread for the breakfast buffet. Service was good, check-in was a bit long but it was a very busy day.

Internet access was poor, quite slow when we were there. Could have been just demand or an issue with the service provider.

We would not hesitate to stay here again when we are next in Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Eric F
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return to the DoubleTree Cambridge on your next trip to Cambridge for which we are very grateful.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. Lovely garden on the bank on the river Cam. Pity the service isn't better.... I sat in the garden by the river for 15 minutes. I must have had an invisibility cloak on because the waiting staff obviously couldn't see me as nobody took my order. As I was being ignored I went inside to the bar where I was again ignored for another five minutes before I finally ordered my beer. The man at the bar told me he would bring the beer out to me so I went and sat back in the garden. My beer failed to materialise so I returned to the bar to fetch it myself. The staff seem completely disorganised and overwhelmed. Hilton hotels - get a grip!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lol85
Thank you for your review. I am really appalled by the service you received at the bar from our team members, this is completely unacceptable and certainly not up to our usual levels of service for which I offer my most sincere apology. Although I understand this might be of no consolation to you please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and as consequence further staff training will be carried out to make sure that this does not happen again. For now, I can only hope that you will not be deterred from returning to the hotel as we would really hope to be given a second chance and show that we can provide the excellent service you ought to have.
London, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is the very first time that I have written a review of a hotel which I have not yet stayed at. I booked a room for a Friday night at a cost of £378. The only rooms available on their website required a 100% deposit up-front, which I willingly paid. Unfortunately I had booked for the wrong night, so I contacted the hotel to ask to move the booking to the following night. They had rooms readily available, but required me to pay another £378. It is difficult to believe that a room at the Doubletree is really worth £378. It is definitely not worth twice that amount. What a bad way to treat guests who are paying a great deal of money to stay in their hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Charlie1001
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Charlie 1001
I was very sorry to read that due to a booking error you will not able to come to the hotel. June being the busiest month for us we have strict terms & conditions, and as you rightly mentioned you were aware of our non-refundable clause and therefore we could not cancel your booking. However, we understand that anyone can make a mistake and therefore please contact me directly on 01223 259981 and I will try my best to be of help.
East Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Lovely and modern hotel in the very centre of Cambridge. Beautiful views from the room to the river of Cam.
Parking is a little bit on pricey side, however taking into the account location – it is acceptable. Stayed for one night in deluxe room – lovely and clean room, very comfortable bed, good sound proofing (there was a wedding party outside, but we did not hear anything and I am a very light sleeper). As usual with all Hilton hotels – breakfast was top notch! Excellent, courteous and personalised service – small things such as personalised welcome message on the telly and reception lady learned our names up until check out (even though we stayed just for one night).
Restaurant menu was impressive enough – zebra, lobster and everything very delicious. Overall would definitely recommend this hotel and restaurant.

*Stayed in April 2012

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrainAndAnastasia
Dear BrainAndAnastasia
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us including your great experience at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Thank you for your honest recommendation, we certainly look forward to your next stay with us.
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed three nights at the Doubletree in June 2014. We booked a family room with a queen bed and a single. Room was air-conditioned, which was nice in June! Hotel is on the pricey side, but this is the best hotel that we've stayed at in Cambridge.

Hotel is located in a beautiful part of town, right near the area where you can go punting. It's in a very quiet area. Check-in was fast and the staff were friendly.

Internet is not free, but the exercise area/pool is beautiful and we used it every evening.
Breakfast is great, and in the evening, the lounge is great. Great food and great place for drinks.

We will stay here again when visiting family in Cambridge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank megsidey
Dear megsidey
Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made the most of our central location, albeit still in a beautiful and quiet area by the river and punting facilities. We were also pleased to know that the spa/leisure facilities as well as the lobby and restaurant were a key factor in your enjoyment of your stay with us. We truly look forward to welcoming you back when you next come to Cambridge to visit family.