“Well worth stopping at this hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Well worth stopping at this hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having read a few of the previous reviews, we stayed at the hotel with open minds, so we were therefore in for a pleasant surprise, nothing was too much trouble and the staff were extremely helpful and I mean all of them, Laura initially checked us into our room and the rest of the staff also stood out. The leisure club was great to relax in after a hard day shopping and just what we needed before going out to eat.
I'm so impressed I'm going back in September.
Cambridge is such a fantastic place to visit and The Eagle Pub where DNA was discovered is also worth a visit, excellent food and good wine and beer.

Room Tip: We were only room only so can't comment on the breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear J0rdan2004
Thank you so very much for your great review. We are thrilled you see that you had such an enjoyable visit to Cambridge and very pleased with your kind compliments to our team members. I am sure that Laura together with all the team will be delighted to know that their hard work does not go unnoticed. We truly look forward to welcoming you back in September.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Allocated a room to someone with a similar name who appeared nude at the door when room was entered with a key given to others. Mistake continued at check-out when payment was aggressively sought for wrong room, despite pre-payment. Incompetent and shambolic staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Nigel G
Dear Nigel G
Please accept our most sincere apology for the error on our part when allocating the room. As you already know following our direct communications with yourself we are investigating further your comments, as consequence necessary and corrective measures will be taken so as to guarantee such episode from never happening again. Once again our hear fell apology, we can only now hope that you will give us a second chance and realize that this was a one off circumstance and have a most enjoyable stay with us.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location beside the river with some rooms having a delightful river view. The staff were attentive and caring and everything requested or asked about was dealt with swiftly and efficiently. Overall the hotel was clean, quiet and everything you could ask for, it even has a reasonable amount of (charged for) parking which is a b nus for Cambridge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Don't even touch anything in the minibar or on the tray or you will be charged. The signs advising this are really OTT and for the room rate being charged guests do not want to feel their actions are being monitored.No notice to say if tea and coffee in room was complimentary or not. Rubbish breakfast - cold croissants and lukewarm coffee and only one cup per person

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lorraine M
Thank you for your review. I know from our direct communications with yourself that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, we are really sorry to read of your feelings with regards the signage in the room, initially we didn't have signs by the minibars, but many guests were complaining that they did not understand the system and felt outraged when discovering at check out that they had been charged for something they had only lifted to read, hence the explanatory signs. On the other hand, and in order not to clutter the rooms we have not displayed any signs by the tea&coffee facilities as these are generally complimentary in most hotels and therefore guests usually don't need further clarifications. However, I am sorry if this was confusing for you or you felt monitored.
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel last week as part of a two-week tour around the U.K, and I must admit I was a little disappointed with some key aspects of the hotel considering the high cost of the room rate. While the location was perfect and had a lovely view of the river, we too were disturbed by parties/weddings both nights we were there. The loud music went well beyond midnight, which was not helpful for two jet lagged travelers. Our room was also terribly warm and when we called to see if the air conditioning could be fixed we were informed it was not actually an "air conditioned" room...something about it being a cooler or a fan in the room but not a/c. Concierge was very helpful in eventually bringing us a portable a/c unit, but again, for $300 (U.S.) per night, I would expect air conditioning. There was also NO WIFI in the entire hotel. Not even in the lobby. Again, in a town that attracts many international guests, most with devices needing wifi to stay in touch with work and relatives outside of the U.K., I would expect to at least have free wifi in the lobby. Of course we were able to use the business center if we needed to access the internet, but in this day and age that is of little consolation (I can use wifi on my international flight over, but not my hotel room??!!) I would reiterate that the staff was as accommodating as they could possibly be, but if this hotel is going to continue asking prices well into the $300 range during peak season they need to up their game.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cfrogers83
Thank you for your review. We were very sorry to read that despite enjoying your stay at the hotel and mentioning that the staff were accommodating you felt a little disappointed. We have duly noted your constructive comments as feedback is always an important way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge.
Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very nice hotel, we had a lovely corner room looking out over the River Cam. The hotel is a little difficult to get to especially on a Saturday when the traffic patterns are changed up for pedestrians, but once we walked to the hotel and were able to get specific directions it was easy enough to get there. Parking is conveniently located behind the hotel, be sure to get your ticket validated at the front desk for the resident rate.

Public facilities are very nice, we did not eat at the in-house restaurant for dinner however it was an impressive spread for the breakfast buffet. Service was good, check-in was a bit long but it was a very busy day.

Internet access was poor, quite slow when we were there. Could have been just demand or an issue with the service provider.

We would not hesitate to stay here again when we are next in Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Eric F
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return to the DoubleTree Cambridge on your next trip to Cambridge for which we are very grateful.
London, UK
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. Lovely garden on the bank on the river Cam. Pity the service isn't better.... I sat in the garden by the river for 15 minutes. I must have had an invisibility cloak on because the waiting staff obviously couldn't see me as nobody took my order. As I was being ignored I went inside to the bar where I was again ignored for another five minutes before I finally ordered my beer. The man at the bar told me he would bring the beer out to me so I went and sat back in the garden. My beer failed to materialise so I returned to the bar to fetch it myself. The staff seem completely disorganised and overwhelmed. Hilton hotels - get a grip!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lol85
Thank you for your review. I am really appalled by the service you received at the bar from our team members, this is completely unacceptable and certainly not up to our usual levels of service for which I offer my most sincere apology. Although I understand this might be of no consolation to you please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and as consequence further staff training will be carried out to make sure that this does not happen again. For now, I can only hope that you will not be deterred from returning to the hotel as we would really hope to be given a second chance and show that we can provide the excellent service you ought to have.