“nice hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in early May. We were upgraded to a room overlooking the river Cam. this gave us a great view of the river and the fields beyond.

the room was large. king size bed- really 2 twins pushed together with slight hole in the middle. tub with regular shower - great! compared to what we had at some other hotels. Clean - seemed to be fairly new. maybe remodeled since doubletree/hilton took it over. good location. very near town center. near punting and on -off bus.

bed came with duvet which was too hot. maid found us a blanket. AC was not on yet. window did open.

room had refrigerator. not much in it so used it for some of our snacks. no vending machines in hotel. snacks and soda etc available at the bar.

room could use a hutch to put suitcases on and to unpack clothes. there were some drawers in the closet but not that convenient and only one luggage rack - (all hotels always seem to give you only one.). asked for and received another one.

hotel had pool etc which we didn't check out.

breakfast was great. lots of choices.

hotel had a computer you could use but price was outrageous. 3.75 pounds for 15 minutes. they have internet hook up if bring own laptop - not sure of charge if any. we found free internet at student center almost across the street on the 3rd floor in the cafe.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 April 2009

Beautiful modern hotel, situated right in the centre of town,and overlooking the river. Very pleasant rooms. BUT THE PRICE! £265 for one night

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Illyria-lady
Reviewed 5 April 2009

This is the former Garden House Hotel, now managed by Hilton. According to the welcome letter, this is "the first Doubletree hotel outside North America", a slightly disconcerting note after booking at 235 pounds per night since Doubletree is one Hilton's downmarket brands. Sure enough, downmarket touches included: no bathrobe provided, an empty minibar fridge, one tiny piece of soap which has to commute between the shower and the sink, room service ends at 10 pm, etc.

I was in a "king balcony with river view", the hotel's best room. It had been completely renovated with a smart new bathroom -- except for the plastic-curtain-in-the-bathtub shower -- and elegant and comfortable furniture including two small armchairs and a large desk. The bed was very comfy with a nice duvet. The HVAC (assuming there is AC in the summer) was silent and effective. There is a beautiful view of the river from the balcony, which has two wooden chairs.

On the other hand, the room was extremely small and the soundproofing vis-a-vis the neighbors non-existent (I heard my neighbor sneeze). But, at least at this time of year, there was no noise from the outside -- that might be different when the bar's outdoor seating is deployed beside the river.

Two classes of wireless Internet service are provided: "Business" which works at close to broadband speed for an astounding 15 pounds per day, and "Economy" which works at DSL speed for a nearly-as bad 12 pounds per day. I found that the Economy service was not adequate to support Skype phone calls and switched to Business for my second day -- it is noticeably faster.

Check-in and check-out were efficient, although I had to get an erroneous -- and large -- bar charge removed when I checked out (I had not used the restaurant or bar at all). There was a manager hovering by the check-out queue who intervened speedily take care of that without hassle. The only negative experience with the staff was when I entered the vast and almost completely empty dining room for the included breakfast 15 minutes after service started and asked for a table by the window, only to be told quite frostily that these tables were all set for four and I could only have a smaller table in the interior of the room "as other people will be arriving later."

Reading the reviews of other hotels in Cambridge, my conclusion is that this is probably the best bet there. Perhaps the market could not support a true five-star facility, more's the pity.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Westonian
Reviewed 31 March 2009

This is the second time that I have stayed in this hotel and needless to say, after my first stay I wasn't disappointed. I arrived late on a Sunday night to be greeted by a smiling Receptionist, who quickly checked me into my room. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a king size room which was lovely. The room was clean, bedding luxurious and spacious. BTW the plasma TV was also a very nice touch. I had a great view of the city and on a couple of occasions sat out on the balcony.

The restaurant has been renovated since I last visited which is a great improvement (though I didn't see anything wrong with it before). I only had breakfast at the hotel and I found the service to be quick, food was tasty & non greasy (the best fry up I had eaten for a long time).

I visited the gym and found the amenities to be fine for what I wanted, but if you are looking for a large gym with lots of machines, you are likely to be disappointed. The plus side is that the swimming pool looked great and had hardly any people in it, so you could get a good swim in. Sadly I ran out of time so didn't get to use it, but next time I visit, I will!

I would recommend this hotel and actually, I'm staying here again in May.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Great place to stay - minutes from the town centre ,and all the colleges.
We had a double room with a single bed for our teenage child, which was plenty big enough.The bathroom was a bit small, but very modern and clean. The hotel has been refurbished, and has modern decor, & great bar areas.We were presented with warm cookies at reception of hotel - nice touch.Car parking was great - just at back of hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions over the last 3 years and it has been excellent. However I think recently they seem to be economising with the rooms and it is no longer such good value. The pillows and duvets are thin and the cushions and throws have disappeared. The minibars are empty... The rest of the hotel facilities are excellent but only stay if there is a good deal, it is definitely not worth £120-£160.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ManchesterHarriet
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Fantastic Hotel in the centre of Cambridge. Modern bedrooms with plenty of room, the exec room we stayed in had a lovely view over the river. Excellent selection for breakfast and brilliant service. Definately recommend this hotel for business and leisure.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)